The Talkin' Song Repair Blues
|"The Talkin' Song Repair Blues"|
|Single by Alan Jackson|
|from the album What I Do|
|Released||March 21, 2005|
|Format||Promo-only CD single|
|Alan Jackson singles chronology|
"The Talkin' Song Repair Blues" is the title of a song written by Dennis Linde, and recorded by American country music artist Alan Jackson. It was released in March 2005 as the third single from his album What I Do. It peaked at number 18 on the United States Billboard Hot Country Songs chart.
The song is a moderate uptempo with spoken-word verses. Its lyrics use car repair as an analogy for songwriting. A songwriter and a repairman discuss their trades with each other, with the songwriter "fixing" a song that the repairman has written. Jackson said that he and producer Keith Stegall had intended to cut the song for at least two previous albums before it was finally included on What I Do.
Deborah Evans Price, of Billboard magazine reviewed the song favorably, saying that Jackson "has a chance to exact a little justice, by working on his song." She goes on to say that the song "boasts some of Linde's most inventive lyrics, and Jackson delivers each line with a tongue-in-cheek attitude that is sure to elicit smiles." Nick Marino of Entertainment Weekly gave the song a positive review, contrasting it with "Burnin' the Honky Tonks Down" on the same album. He wrote that both songs were "a hoot and a half."
"The Talkin' Song Repair Blues" debuted at number 45 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks for the week of April 2, 2005.
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||18|
|US Billboard Hot 100||99|
- Whitburn, Joel (2008). Hot Country Songs 1944 to 2008. Record Research, Inc. ISBN 0-89820-177-2.
- Bessman, Jim (6 November 2004). "Drexler's Caterpillar Smokes; Linde Looks Under the Hood". Billboard. Retrieved 20 August 2010.
- Billboard, April 2, 2005
- Marino, Nick (17 September 2004). "What I Do review". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 20 August 2010.
- "Alan Jackson Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Alan Jackson. Retrieved 25 September 2010.
- "Alan Jackson Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Alan Jackson. Retrieved 25 September 2010.