The Telegraph (Calcutta)
||This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2012)|
The 9 July 2009 front page of
The Telegraph (Calcutta)
|Founded||7 July 1982|
|Sister newspapers||Anandabazar Patrika|
The Telegraph is an Indian daily newspaper founded and continuously published in Kolkata (Calcutta) since 7 July 1982. It is published by the ABP Group and the newspaper vies with the Times of India for the position of having the widest circulation of any newspaper in Eastern India.
According to the Audit Bureau of Circulations, it has a circulation of 484,971 copies as of 2008. The newspaper is the fourth most-widely read English newspaper in India (after Times of India, Hindustan Times and The Hindu) with a readership of 12.75 lakhs according to Indian Readership Survey (IRS) 2012.
The Telegraph mainly published from eastern India is noted for its extensive coverage of Indian foreign policy and its focused reporting on India's troubled North-East. The Telegraph is also published from Guwahati and Jorhat (for entire northeast), Siliguri (for North Bengal and Sikkim), Patna, Jamshedpur and Ranchi (for Jharkhand), Bhubaneswar (for Odisha). The Telegraph comes with six editions Calcutta edition, South Bengal edition, North Bengal edition, Northeast edition (Guwahati and Jorhat splits), Jharkhand edition (Jamshedpur and Ranchi splits) and Odhisha edition.
The Telegraph was founded on July 7, 1982. The designer director of Sunday Times, London Edwin Taylor designed the newspaper provided a standard in design and editing. In 26 years, it has become the largest circulated English daily in the eastern region published from Calcutta. In 1982, M J Akbar the current editorial Director of India Today used to edit and designed the daily newspaper thus it had a major impact on newspaper journalism in India.
The Telegraph is published by media group Ananda Publishers closely associated with ABP Pvt. Ltd, the group also published Anandabazar Patrika (a Bengali language newspaper) since 13 March 1922. Apart from newspapers the group even published Bengali and English periodicals like Anandamela, Unish-Kuri, Sananda, Anandalok, Desh magazine, Businessworld, The Telegraph in Schools and Career.
People associated with the Telegraph 
- Dr Ashok S Ganguly, current Chairman
- Aveek Sarkar, Chief Editor of the Ananda Bazar Group of Publications.
- Dipankar Das Purkayastha, MD & CEO
- Githa Hariharan, author & Columnist
- Swapan Dasgupta, Columnist
- Ramachandra Guha, Columnist and writer
- Sunanda K. Datta-Ray, Columnist
- Rudrangshu Mukherjee, Editor, Editorial Pages, The Telegraph, oversees the editorial pages and the book review section of The Telegraph
- Khushwant Singh – An editorial writer whose column With Malice towards One and All appears in the Friday edition.
The Sunday edition includes Graphiti, a 32-page coloured magazine which includes features on celebrities, food, art, technology, etc. The Wednesday edition includes Telekids, a 4-page sheet for children..
See also 
- "World Newspapers and Magazines". Worldpress.org. Retrieved 30 December 2006.
-  ABP Corporate Retrieved on 2009-10-30
- "Indian Readership Survey (IRS) 2012 — Quarter 2". Newswatch.in. 30 June 2010. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
-  About The Telegraph Retrieved on 2009-10-30
-  Media Newsline.com Retrieved on 2009-10-30