Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||David Wain|
|Produced by||David Wain
Morris S. Levy
|Written by||David Wain
|Music by||Craig Wedren|
|Edited by||Eric Kissack|
|Release date(s)||August 3, 2007|
|Running time||93 minutes|
The Ten is a 2007 American comedy film, directed by David Wain and cowritten by Wain and Ken Marino, released through ThinkFilm. The film was released on August 3, 2007. The DVD was released on January 15, 2008.
Ten stories, each inspired by one of the Ten Commandments:
- 1 "Thou Shalt Worship No God Before Me
A guy (Adam Brody) becomes a celebrity after falling out of a plane and becoming permanently embedded in the ground thanks to superstar agent (Ron Silver). After a swift rise to stardom, he becomes prideful and arrogant, referring to himself as a god. His career falls apart and he loses everything. His fiancée (Winona Ryder) leaves him for a TV anchor man.
- 2 "Thou Shalt Not Take the Lord's Name in Vain"
A librarian (Gretchen Mol) has a sexual awakening in Mexico with a swarthy local (Justin Theroux) who turns out to be Jesus Christ. She eventually settles down and marries her coworker (A. D. Miles), but is secretly reminded of her fling with Jesus whenever her family prays before a meal.
- 3 "Thou Shalt Not Murder"
A doctor (Ken Marino) kills his patient by leaving a pair of scissors inside her abdomen during surgery. Despite expecting the charges to be dropped because he left the scissors in "as a goof", the judge and jury sentence him to life in prison. The judge also disbars the plaintiff's lawyer, who is then told that he should consider a job as a tour guide at the local nuclear plant.
- 4 "Honor Thy Mother and Thy Father"
A white mother (Kerri Kenney-Silver) enlists an Arnold Schwarzenegger impersonator (Oliver Platt) to be a father figure to her black children after telling them he is their biological father. It is revealed that their father is in reality Arsenio Hall, but they decide to keep the Arnold impersonator as part of the family; despite not being able to imitate Arsenio, he can do a pretty good Eddie Murphy impression.
- 5 "Thou Shalt Not Covet Thy Neighbor's Goods"
A police detective (Liev Schreiber) covets his neighbor's (Joe Lo Truglio) CAT Scan machine. After continuously buying additional CAT Scan machines to one up each other, both of their wives leave them. After hitting rock bottom, the two neighbors reconcile and go out for a drink. Meanwhile, a disaster at a nuclear power plant during a school tour (led by the former lawyer from the third story) leaves a busload of school children in need of several CAT Scan machines. They arrive at the neighbors' houses but the doors are locked and the two men are at the bar, so all the children die.
- 6 "Thou Shalt Not Covet Thy Neighbor's Wife"
A prisoner (Rob Corddry) desires a fellow inmate's "bitch" (the doctor from the third story) for his own.
- 7 "Thou Shalt Not Steal"
The woman (Winona Ryder) from the first story, having recently married the TV anchor man, falls in love with a ventriloquist (Michael Ziegfeld's) puppet, steals it and runs off to have a romantic relationship with it.
- 8 "Thou Shalt Not Bear False Witness"
The ventriloquist, having lost his dummy and become a homeless heroin addict, is told by another homeless man a story about an animated rhinoceros (voice of H. Jon Benjamin) who earns a reputation as a liar. After learning that a band of weiner dogs is intent on infecting others with a fatal STD, the rhinoceros tries to warn everyone. Unfortunately, nobody believes him, and they all succumb to the STD (following an orgy). It is then revealed that the rhinoceros now sells drugs to the homeless men.
- 9 "Thou Shalt Not Commit Adultery"
Jeff Reigert (Paul Rudd) presents all of these stories to the audience, while struggling with his own moral dilemma: having to choose between his beautiful wife (Famke Janssen) and his also beautiful but somewhat younger mistress (Jessica Alba).
- 10 "Remember the Sabbath and Keep It Holy"
The husband from the second story (A.D. Miles) skips church with his family to get naked with his friends and listen to Roberta Flack.
- Paul Rudd as Jeff Reigert
- Winona Ryder as Kelly LaFonda
- Famke Janssen as Gretchen Reigert
- Jessica Alba as Liz Anne Blazer
- Adam Brody as Stephen Montgomery
- Justin Theroux as Jesus H. Christ
- Oliver Platt as Marc Jacobson
- Liev Schreiber as Ray Johnson
- Gretchen Mol as Gloria Jennings
- Rob Corddry as Duane Rosenblum
- Michael Ziegfeld as Harlan Swallow / Gary
- Ken Marino as Dr. Glenn Richie
- Janeane Garofalo as Beth
- Mather Zickel as Louis La Fonda
- Kerri Kenney-Silver as Bernice Jaffe
- A.D. Miles as Oliver Jennings
- Michael Showalter as Police Lt. Flarn Bairn
- David Wain as Abe Grossman
- Thomas Lennon as Scotty Pale
- Bobby Cannavale as Marty
- Ron Silver as Fielding Barnes
- Joe Lo Truglio as Paul
- Robert Ben Garant as Bob
- Jason Sudeikis as Tony Contiella
- Kevin Allison as Stanley
- Rashida Jones as Rebecca
- Jon Hamm as Charles
- Michael Ian Black as Prison Guard
The film received mixed but generally negative reviews, scoring a 39% on Rotten Tomatoes and a 50 out of 100 on Metacritic.
- "The Ten (2007)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 11 August 2011.
- The Ten at the Internet Movie Database
- The Ten at Box Office Mojo
- The Ten at Rotten Tomatoes
- The Ten at Metacritic