The Times of Israel
Offices of The Times in Jerusalem
|Owner(s)||Seth Klarman, David Horovitz|
|Editor||David Horovitz (English)
Suha Halifa (Arabic)
Stephanie Bitan (French)
Li Jingjing 李晶晶 (Chinese)
|Language||English, Arabic, French, Chinese|
The Times of Israel is an online newspaper published in English, Arabic, French and Chinese, which covers "developments in Israel, the Middle East and around the Jewish world," according to the site's nameplate. Its headquarters are in Jerusalem's German Colony neighborhood.
The Times of Israel was launched in February 2012. Its founder and editor is David Horovitz, formerly of The Jerusalem Post and The Jerusalem Report. It receives financial support from Boston, Massachusetts-based Seth Klarman, founder of Baupost Group and chairman of The David Project, who has said he is opposed to Israel's settlement movement. Several Times editors had previously worked for Haaretz. Haaretz English Edition editors Joshua Davidovich, Raphael Ahren, and Yoel Goldman joined The Times as news editors, and Haaretz Arab affairs correspondent Avi Isaacharoff joined as Middle East analyst.
On 4 February 2014, The Times of Israel launched its Arabic edition, edited by Suha Halifa, and on 25 February 2014, its French edition, edited by Stephanie Bitan. Both the Arabic and French editions combine translations of English content with original material in their respective languages, as well as host a blog platform. In announcing the Arabic edition, Horowitz suggested The Times may have created the first Arabic blog platform that "draw[s] articles from across the spectrum of opinion. We’re inviting those of our Arabic readers with something of value that they want to say to blog on our pages, respecting the parameters of legitimate debate, joining our marketplace of ideas." In order "to avoid the kind of anonymous comments that can reduce discussion to toxic lows," comments on news articles and features in all of the newspaper's editions can only be posted by readers identified through their Facebook profiles or equivalent.
As of February 2014, two years after its launch, it claims a readership of 2 million.
The Times prides itself on having no political leanings.
We are independent; we're not attached or affiliated with any political party. [The Times of Israel is] an independent, fair-minded journalistic venture, and I think it's incredibly important to give people a sense of the options that Israel faces and create an informed and constructive debate.
— David Horovitz, The Forward
On August 1, 2014, Yochanan Gordon—described in his author note as a third-generation journalist—posted an Op Ed piece titled, "When genocide is permissible" in which he argued that the war between Israel and Gaza was being misunderstood and misrepresented by the global media. He put the nub of his argument, as it related to the headline, this way: "Hamas has stated forthrightly that it idealizes death as much as Israel celebrates life. What other way is there to deal with an enemy of this nature other than obliterate them completely?" The piece was taken down the same day, replaced by a note stating that the piece breached "the Times of Israel's editorial guidelines." However, on the same day, the Times of Israel published another Op Ed piece, by Irwin E. Blank, stating that "G-d had demanded that Saul (or the “prime minister”) enter into battle with the Amalekites (Hamas and its savage partners) and destroy them utterly even if that means to the last child, cow and goat." The paper came under fire from commentators such as Andrew Sullivan for what was perceived as a "pattern" of making a "call for genocide."
Notable journalists and writers
- Grunzweig, Emilie (16 February 2012). "New English-language Israeli website launched". Haaretz. Retrieved 17 March 2012.
- "Contact us". The Times of Israel. Retrieved 25 March 2012. "8 Hatsfira Street, Jerusalem 93102, Israel"
- Nathan-Kazis, Josh (29 February 2012). "The Softspoken Man Behind Times of Israel". The Forward. Retrieved 17 March 2012.
- "Oversimplifying the complexity of Israel's security and its settlements". Haaretz. Feb 13, 2012.
- Julie Wiener (February 4, 2014). "Translating Israel, from English to Arabic". Jewish Telegraphic Agency.
- David Horovitz (February 4, 2014). "From today, The Times of Israel is also in Arabic". Times of Israel.
- Horovitz, David (25 February 2014). "Bonjour and welcome to The Times of Israel in French". The Times of Israel. Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- "Times of Israel adds French edition". Jewish Telegraphic Agency. February 25, 2014.
- "Tycoons turning Israeli media into hasbara tools". Haaretz.
- Howard Koplowitz (1 August 2014). "'When Genocide Is Permissible' Article Taken Down By The Times Of Israel: Yochanan Gordon's Post Sparks Outrage". International Business Times. Retrieved 1 August 2014.
- "Breaking News Editor: Lazer Berman". Times of Israel.
- "OPS & BLOGS: JULIE GRAY". The Times of Israel.