The Tribulations of Balthazar Kober
|The Tribulations of Balthazar Kober|
|Directed by||Wojciech Jerzy Has|
|Screenplay by||Wojciech Jerzy Has|
|Based on||The Tribulations of Balthazar Kober
by Frederick Tristan
|Music by||Zdzislaw Szostak|
|Edited by||Wanda Zeman|
|Distributed by||PP Film Polski|
|Running time||115 minutes|
The Tribulations of Balthazar Kober (Polish: Niezwykla podróz Baltazara Kobera) is a 1973 Polish film directed by Wojciech Jerzy Has, starring Rafal Wieczynski, Michael Lonsdale, Adrianna Biedrzynska, Gabriela Kownacka, Emmanuelle Riva. The film is an adaptation of a novel by Frédérick Tristan that follows a young man as he travels across plague-stricken Germany of the 16th Century.
Young alchemy student Balthazar (Rafal Wieczynski) and his master (Michael Lonsdale) are forced to flee their home by the inquisition. The set off on a journey across a plague-stricken Germany, encountering various people including corrupt priests and Kabbalists, not to mention ghosts and even an angel, before ending up in Venice where he falls in love with a young actress.
The film is the Has's final film, and marks a return to the picaresque, extravagant style of The Saragossa Manuscript and The Hourglass Sanatorium to which it can be seen as a part of a trilogy.
- Rafal Wieczynski as Balthasar Kober
- Michael Lonsdale as Le maître
- Adrianna Biedrzynska as Rosa
- Gabriela Kownacka as Gertrude / Gertruda
- Emmanuelle Riva as La mère
- Daniel Emilfork as Le recteur
- Jerzy Bonczak as Flamand - Varlet
- Zofia Merle as La matronne
- Evelyne Dassas as L'aubergiste
- Christine Laurent as Marguerite
- Andrzej Szczepkowski as Le cardinal / Kardinal Nenni
- Frédéric Leidgens as Battista Strozzi
Released on December 26, 1988, the film was entered into the 1988 Polish Film Festival, where Janusz Rosól won the award for Best Sound. It was also nominated for the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival the same year, but did not win.
- Tribulations of Balthazar Kober - Journey to the land of the dead avoir-alire.com
- The Tribulations of Balthazar Kober mubi.com
- Richardson, Michael Surrealism and Cinema, p.169, 2006, Berg