The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys
|The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys|
Cover of the trade paperback edition
|Publisher||Dark Horse Comics|
|Genre||Post-apocalyptic, adventure, drama, coming-of-age|
|Publication date||June 12, 2013 – January 1, 2014|
|Number of issues||6|
|Main character(s)||The Girl
Dr. Death Defying
The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys is a 2013 comic book series written by Gerard Way and Shaun Simon with art by Becky Cloonan. The series serves as a sequel to the My Chemical Romance album Danger Days, focusing on the followers of the original Killjoys as they try to fight against the tyrannical mega-corporation Better Living Industries.
Following the aftermath of the first battle waged during Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys, the group's followers have kept to the desert while Better Living Industries continues to "strip citizens of their individuality". Only the Girl, the sole survivor of the original Killjoys, can help stir up the fight or join the masses in their mindlessness.
Way first announced the project at the 2009 San Diego Comic-Con, and in 2012 New York Comic Con stated that artist Becky Cloonan would be producing the artwork and Shaun Simon would co-write with him. He commented that the comic would serve as the final part of the story and that it would not be "as frantic as what people are going to expect". Way also described the story as "a coming of age story about a young girl" and that she would be "[choosing] her own path".
|Issue #1 -- "Whatever Gets You Through the Night"||12 June 2013|
|Issue #2 -- "Ghost"||10 July 2013|
|Issue #3 -- "Blind"||14 August 2013|
|Issue #4 -- "Run!"||11 September 2013|
|Issue #5 -- "Waking the Destroya"||30 October 2013|
|Issue #6 -- "Boom"||01 January 2014|
On May 7th, 2014, two separate collected editions of issues 1 through 6, as well as the "Dead Satellites" one-shot from Free Comic Book Day 2013, became available online through Things From Another World. One edition is a standard 160-page trade paperback, while the other is a hardcover limited to just 2,500 copies, filled 232 pages and featured an extensive sketchbook with artwork from Becky Cloonan, Gabriel Bá, Paul Pope, Gerard Way, Fábio Moon, Rafael Grampá and Brian Ewing.
- "IGN's Most Anticipated Comics of 2013". IGN. Retrieved 16 March 2013.
- "THE TRUE LIVES OF THE FABULOUS KILLJOYS LAUNCHES IN JUNE 2013.". Dark Horse.com. December 17, 2012. Retrieved March 15, 2013.
- "Gerard Way’s Fabulous Killjoys gets Free Comic Book Day debut". CBR. Retrieved 16 March 2013.
- "New art surfaces from The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys". CBR. Retrieved 16 March 2013.
- "My Chemical Romance Gerard Way Talk Comic Con 2012 Announcement For Killjoys". Artisan News Service. Retrieved 19 October 2012.
- "True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys #2". Retrieved 3 May 2013.
- "The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys #5 (Becky Cloonan cover)". Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- "The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys #6 (Becky Cloonan cover)". Retrieved 20 September 2013.
|This comics-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|