The Truth (Jason Aldean song)
|Single by Jason Aldean|
|from the album Wide Open|
|Released||September 28, 2009|
|Format||Airplay, music download|
|Jason Aldean singles chronology|
"The Truth" is the title of a country music song written by Brett James and Ashley Monroe, and recorded by Trent Willmon for his 2008 album Broken In. The song was then covered by Jason Aldean on his album Wide Open. Aldean's version was released to radio on September 28, 2009 as the third single from the album, following the Number One hits "She's Country" and "Big Green Tractor."
"The Truth" is a mid-tempo in which a male looks at his failing relationship, asking his (ex)girlfriend not to tell others "the truth" about it. The final line reveals that the "truth" is that he still needs her.
The song was recorded by Trent Willmon on his 2008 album Broken In before Aldean recorded it for his third studio album, 2009's Wide Open. Regarding the song, Aldean told the website Country Standard Time, "This is one of those songs that I heard the first time and knew I wanted to cut[…]He's basically begging[…]saying 'make up whatever story you want, tell 'em I left town or whatever you need to say[…]just don't tell 'em the truth.' I don't know a guy who hasn't been through that before."
Ashley Monroe told Country Weekly magazine that she began writing the song with Brett James after having dinner at his house. She was "missing a boy" at the time, and used her former relationship as the inspiration for the song. She and James thought that it would be "more interesting to write about stuff that's not the truth, rather than the truth itself." James said that he enjoyed Aldean's recording because "he sounds just like the character I had in mind when I hear him sing it."
The music video, directed by Deaton-Flanigen Productions, premiered to CMT on November 10, 2009. The video pictures Aldean mailing a letter, then getting on a bus. He gets off at a motel (Drake Motel in downtown Nashville) and checks in, then goes out to sit by the pool as some people come outside to the pool, including some kids to swim, until it starts raining, and Aldean stays there and continues singing. Even though the video is supposed to have a summer-like setting, it was actually filmed on a cold day in October, according to Aldean on a segment on CMT's Top 20 Countdown with Lance Smith back in late 2009.
The song was met with generally positive reviews. Sam Gazdziak of The 9513 gave the song a thumbs-up, with his review saying that it "may be the most country-sounding song he’s ever released," also making note of Aldean's "understated vocal." Bobby Peacock of Roughstock also gave a positive review, saying that its production was "dialed down" and more neotraditionalist country in sound, compared to Aldean's more rock music-influenced songs such as "She's Country." He also described Aldean's vocal performance favorably.
On the week ending November 21, 2009, "The Truth" debuted at No. 91 on the Billboard Hot 100 and moved up the following week to #78. It has since reached a peak of #40. It became his fourth Number One song on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs chart week of February 6, 2010. at No. 86 on Canadian Hot 100 chart for the week of March 4, 2010.
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||79|
|US Billboard Hot 100||40|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||32|
by Tim McGraw
|Billboard Hot Country Songs
February 6 – 13, 2010
"Why Don't We Just Dance"
by Josh Turner
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum||1,000,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- "Jason Aldean will release "The Truth" as next single". CMT. September 22, 2009. Retrieved October 15, 2009.
- "Broken In". Allmusic. Retrieved October 16, 2009.
- "Jason Aldean goes for "The Truth"". Country Standard Time. September 23, 2009. Retrieved October 15, 2009.
- Conaway, Alanna (March 22, 2010). "Story Behind the Song: "The Truth" Doesn't Hurt". Country Weekly 17 (12): 17. ISSN 1074-3235.
- Armstrong, Josh (May 15, 2009). "Jason Aldean has eyes Wide Open". KnowTheArtist.com. Retrieved March 30, 2011.[dead link]
- Sam Gazdziak (September 22, 2009). "Jason Aldean — "The Truth"". The 9513. Retrieved October 15, 2009.
- Bobby Peacock (September 14, 2009). "Jason Aldean — "The Truth"". Roughstock. Retrieved October 15, 2009.
- "Jason Aldean Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Jason Aldean. Retrieved January 29, 2011.
- "Jason Aldean Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Jason Aldean. Retrieved January 29, 2011.
- "Jason Aldean Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Jason Aldean. Retrieved January 29, 2011.
- "Best of 2010: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2010. Retrieved December 13, 2010.
- "American single certifications – Jason Aldean – The Truth". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved January 10, 2014. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH