The Turning (2013 film)
|Directed by||The Turning Ensemble|
|Produced by||Robert Connolly
The Turning Ensemble
|Written by||Tim Winton|
|Running time||180 minutes|
The Turning is a 2013 Australian anthology film based on a collection of short stories by Tim Winton. It premiered at the Melbourne International Film Festival on 3 August 2013. It was nominated for the 2013 Asia Pacific Screen Award for Best Feature Film, and was screened in the Berlinale Special Galas section of the 64th Berlin International Film Festival.
18 directors worked on the film, including Mia Wasikowska, David Wenham, and Stephen Page who made their directorial debuts. Initially, Cate Blanchett also intended to direct before switching to an acting role, with Simon Stone taking her place behind the camera.
- Jonathan auf der Heide ("Fog")
- Tony Ayres ("Cockleshell")
- Simon Stone ("Reunion")
- Jub Clerc ("Abbreviation")
- Robert Connolly ("Aquifer")
- Shaun Gladwell ("Family")
- Rhys Graham ("Small Mercies")
- Justin Kurzel ("Boner McPharlin's Moll")
- Yaron Lifschitz ("Immunity")
- Anthony Lucas ("Damaged Goods")
- Claire McCarthy ("The Turning")
- Ian Meadows ("Defender")
- Ashlee Page ("On Her Knees")
- Stephen Page ("Sand")
- Warwick Thornton ("Big World")
- Marieka Walsh ("Ash Wednesday")
- Mia Wasikowska ("Long, Clear View")
- David Wenham ("Commission")
90-minute broadcast version
The Turning was heavily cut down and rearranged for broadcast on ABC1, debuting on February 23 2014. Running for approximately 90 minutes (as opposed to the 180-minute theatrical cut), only eight of the original 17 stories were included: "Reunion", "Aquifer", "On Her Knees", "The Turning", "Long, Clear View", "Commission", "Cockleshell", and "Sand". The remaining nine stories were made available online as multi-platform ABC iView content.
The Turning received positive reviews from critics and audiences, earning an approval rating of 92% on Rotten Tomatoes.
Awards and nominations
|Best Film||Robert Connolly||Nominated|
|The Turning Ensemble||Nominated|
|Best Adapted Screenplay||Nominated|
|Best Actor||Hugo Weaving||Nominated|
|Best Actress||Rose Byrne||Won|
|Best Supporting Actress||Mirrah Foulkes||Nominated|
|Best Editing||The Turning Ensemble||Nominated|
- Groves, Don (5 August 2013). "MIFF audiences respond to The Turning". if.com.au.
- "Winners & Nominees 2013". asiapacificscreenacademy.com. Retrieved 2013-12-19.
- "Berlinale Special 2014". berlinale. Retrieved 2014-011-18. Check date values in:
- Hawker, Philippa (6 September 2013). "Fresh take". The Age.
- Official website
- The Turning at the Internet Movie Database
- The Turning at Rotten Tomatoes
- The Turning on Facebook