The Turning (album)
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
|Studio album by Sam Phillips|
|Recorded||Sunset Sound Factory, Sunset Sound & Mad Hatter
(Los Angeles, California)
(Ft. Worth, Texas
Dcc Compact Classics
|Producer||T Bone Burnett|
|Sam Phillips chronology|
The 1998 DCC re-release.
This album marks the first time that Phillips worked with producer T Bone Burnett. The two would marry not long after the release of this album and Burnett would go on to produce more albums for the singer. The Turning stands out as a turning point in Phillips' career as a singer and songwriter; on one side, the cheerful, upbeat pop-rock albums that she recorded in the early 1980s, and, on the other, the quirky 60's music influenced rock and folk albums, with a much darker and more poetic tone lyrically. Most critics would agree that Phillips' songwriting abilities grew by leaps and bounds beginning with The Turning. Others might even say that this album was a pinnacle that has yet to be topped by the artist.
This album was listed at #8 in the book CCM Presents: The 100 Greatest Albums in Christian Music (Harvest House Publishers, 2001).
All songs written by Sam Phillips, except where noted.
- "River of Love" (Phillips/Burnett)
- "Love Is Not Lost"
- "The Turning"
- "Libera Me" (Burnett)
- "Carry You"
- "Beating Heart"
- "Answers Don't Come Easy"
- "God Is Watching You" (Burnett)
- Sam Phillips: Vocals, Synthesizers.
- T Bone Burnett: Guitars.
- Mickey Curry: Drums.
- Jerry Scheff: Bass.
- David Miner: Bass on "Love Is Not Lost."
- John Andrew Schreiner: Synthesizers.
- Alex Acuña: Percussion.
- Drum programs by Ralph Forbes, T Bone Burnett and Sam Phillips.
- Harmonies by Dawn O'Hanlon, Tonio K., T Bone Burnett, Peter Case, and Sam Phillips.
- Produced by T Bone Burnett.
- Executive Producer: Tom Willett.
- Mixed by Tchad Blake.
- Recorded at Sunset Sound Factory, Sunset Sound & Mad Hatter, Los Angeles, California; Mama Jo's, Hollywood, California; Eagle Audio, Ft. Worth, Texas; and Capitol Studios, Hollywood, California.
- Recorded by Stephen Shelton, Larry Hirsch, Bobby Hickey, Bill Jackson, Steve Ford, Tchad Blake, and Judy Klapp. *Assisted by Mike Kloster and David Knight.
- All Go-Go Dancing by Sam Phillips.
- Mastered by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering.
- Art Direction and Design by Michael Hodgson.
- Photography by Dennis Keeley, assisted by Pete Caravolais.
- Hair and Make-up: Tony Proctor Lambe.