The UEFA Plaque
The UEFA Plaque is an honorary recognition given by the Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) to Italian side Juventus Football Club when they won all three major UEFA competitions, namely the European Champions Clubs’ Cup or Champions League, Cup Winners' Cup and UEFA Cup or Europa League (first team in European football history to do so).
The award consists of a rectangular silver plaque on which are superimposed three trophies that represent the tournaments mentioned, above a laurel wreath and the European football government body badge. Also, the plaque have the following inscription:
The UEFA to Juventus F.C.
On 12 July 1988, at the beginning of the 1988–89 European competitions seeding held in Geneva (Switzerland), former UEFA president Jacques Georges presented the prize for the first time to Juventus chairman Giampiero Boniperti.
Four years later, in May 1992, after win the European Champions' Cup, the then FC Barcelona president, Josep Lluís Núñez claims UEFA a similar recognition saying his club had equaled the Juventus record having won formely the Cup Winners Cup and the UEFA Cup. The European football's governing body rejected it because Catalan club had never won the UEFA Cup and the body does not recognise as official competition his predecessor, the Fairs Cup.
- "Stakes high for Advocaat's Rangers reunion". Union des Associations Européennes de Football. 2006-05-14. Retrieved 2009-11-15.
- "Giovanni Trapattoni". Union des Associations Européennes de Football. 2010-05-31. Retrieved 2010-12-27.
- (Italian) Tuttosport, edition from 13 July 1988.
- Giorgio Viglino (1988-07-13). "Boniperti e Futre, è la volta buona" (in Italian). La Stampa. p. 22. Retrieved 2010-11-11.
- "Juventus: Unica squadra premiata dall'UEFA". Hurrà Juventus (in Italian) 1. January 1988.
- Original version in French language:
L'UEFA au Juventus F.C.
Premier club ayant remporté les trois competitions inter-clubs de l'UEFA
Coupe des Clubs Champions Européenns
Coupe des Vainqueurs de Coupe Européenne
- "El Barça, gran atracción del sorteo" (PDF) (in Spanish). El Mundo Deportivo. 1992-07-16. p. 34. Retrieved 2009-11-21.
- "Sorteo de las competiciones europeas de fútbol: el Fram de Reykjavic, primer adversario del F.C. Barcelona en la Recopa" (PDF) (in Spanish). La Vanguardia. 1988-07-13. p. 53. Retrieved 2009-11-15.
- Francesc Aguilar (12 July 1992). "El Barça, gran atracción del sorteo" (PDF) (in Spanish). El Mundo Deportivo. p. 34. Retrieved 28 August 2014.