The Unknown Soldier (1985 film)
||This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the Finnish Wikipedia. (December 2013)|
|The Unknown Soldier|
A DVD cover for The Unknown Soldier.
|Directed by||Rauni Mollberg|
|Produced by||Rauni Mollberg|
|Written by||Veikko Aaltonen,
The Unknown Soldier (Finnish: Tuntematon sotilas) is a Finnish 1985 film directed by Rauni Mollberg. It is a remake of the 1955 film of the same title, directed by Edvin Laine and based on the best selling Finnish novel by the same name written by Väinö Linna.
Mollberg used young and unknown actors, many of them now famous. The film was shot in color with much hand-held footage, attempting to portray the story more realistically than the prior Edvin Laine version. This has often lead to unfavourable comparisons with the better-known 1955 adaption. Although a full musical score was composed for the movie, Mollberg released the finished film without it for stylistic reasons.
It was screened in the Un Certain Regard section at the 1986 Cannes Film Festival. The film was selected as the Finnish entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 59th Academy Awards, but was not accepted as a nominee.
- Risto Tuorila – Koskela
- Pirkka-Pekka Petelius – Hietanen
- Paavo Liski – Rokka
- Mika Mäkelä – Rahikainen
- Pertti Koivula – Lahtinen
- Tero Niva – Vanhala
- Ossi-Ensio Korvuo – Määttä
- Mikko Niskanen – Salo
- Pauli Poranen – Lehto
- Hannu Kivioja – Riitaoja
- Juha Riihimäki – Sihvonen
- Seppo Juusonen – Susi
- Timo Virkki – Honkajoki
- Vesa Ala-Seppälä – Hauhia
- Risto Hetta – Vuorela
- List of submissions to the 59th Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film
- List of Finnish submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
- "Festival de Cannes: The Unknown Soldier". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 2009-07-17.
- Margaret Herrick Library, Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
|This article related to Finnish film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|