Main title card
|Created by||Noah Hawley|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||10 (List of episodes)|
|Production company(s)||Sony Pictures Television|
|Original run||April 8 – June 17, 2009|
The Unusuals is a comedy-drama television series which premiered on ABC on April 8, 2009 in the U.S. and Global in Canada. An ABC press release described The Unusuals as "like a modern-day M*A*S*H" that "explores both the grounded drama and comic insanity of the world of New York City police detectives, where every cop has a secret". Its premise elaborated:
- Detective Casey Shraeger (Amber Tamblyn) has just been transferred to the NYPD's Homicide unit from Vice and is instantly thrown into a setting of bullets and bodies. As she begins her new assignment, Casey finds that the squad is full of secrets, which serves her well, since she's keeping a few of her own.
The pilot and first episode were written by Noah Hawley, a former writer and producer for Fox's Bones.
- Amber Tamblyn ... Detective Casey Shraeger
- Jeremy Renner ... Detective Jason Walsh
- Adam Goldberg ... Detective Eric Delahoy
- Harold Perrineau ... Detective Leo Banks
- Kai Lennox ... Detective Eddie Alvarez
- Joshua Close ... Detective Henry Cole
- Monique Gabriela Curnen ... Detective Allison Beaumont
- Terry Kinney ... Sergeant Harvey Brown
Det. Casey Shraeger transfers from Vice to NYPD's Second Precinct with a mission: to clean up Sergeant Harvey Brown's station at his request. Her new partner is Jason Walsh, whose previous partner was murdered the same night Shraeger was assigned to him. Shraeger was chosen mostly because Brown believes her to be incorruptible, since she comes from a wealthy family and chose to work for the police from a sense of doing good, rather than for money.
As soon as she meets her new partner, they start a quest for Walsh's ex-partner's killer. He was a corrupt cop, which was a known fact, but he was also investigating other cops at the 2nd Precinct. His main focus was Det. Henry Cole who once lived by another name and robbed an armored car. Cole's partner, Det. Allison Beaumont, is later revealed to be Walsh's girlfriend.
Besides Shraeger, Walsh, Beaumont and Cole, the station has three more detectives: Leo Banks, who wears a bulletproof vest everywhere he goes, because he is afraid he will die at age 42, as his father, grandfather and uncle did; Banks' partner Eric Delahoy, who has a brain tumor but refuses to notify anyone or get treatment that can potentially kill him or leave him disabled; and Eddie Alvarez, who believes himself to be a 'lone wolf' and talks about himself in the third person.
The show was left cancelled with a cliffhanger about what happens to Delahoy.
|3||"One Man Band" *||3.8||6||1.6/5||6.33||4/21/2009|
|6||"The Circle Line"||3.1||5||1.6/4||4.63||5/6/2009|
|7||"The Tape Delay"||2.5||4||0.9/3||3.91||5/27/2009|
|9||"The Apology Line"||2.8||5||1.2/4||4.67||6/10/2009|
- *One Man Band" aired Tuesday night at 10, unlike the rest of the series which aired Wednesdays at 10.