The Vamps (British band)
|Labels||Mercury, Virgin EMI|
|Associated acts||Pixie Lott, Demi Lovato|
The Vamps are a British pop band consisting of members Brad Simpson (lead vocals and guitar), James McVey (lead guitar and vocals), Connor Ball (bass guitar and vocals) and Tristan Evans (drums and vocals). They formed in early 2012 and signed to Mercury Records in November that year. The Vamps supported McFly on their Memory Lane Tour in early 2013. They also performed at several festival-style events around the UK as support acts for bands such as The Wanted, JLS, Little Mix, Lawson and Demi Lovato.
On 29 September 2013, The Vamps released their debut single "Can We Dance", which debuted at number two on the UK Singles Chart. Their second single "Wild Heart" was released on 18 January 2014 and peaked at number 3 on the UK Singles Chart. Their third single "Last Night" was released on the UK radio on 24 February 2014 and digital download on 6 April 2014. Their debut album Meet the Vamps was released on 14 April 2014. In February 2014, The Vamps released "Wild Heart" as their debut single in the United States and Canada.
James McVey was already managed by Richard Rashman and Joe O'Neill of Prestige Management. Deciding he wanted to form a band, McVey subsequently discovered Brad Simpson in 2011 through YouTube. Together, the pair wrote songs towards the later months of 2011, with Simpson later becoming lead singer. In 2012, Simpson and McVey met Tristan Evans through Facebook. The trio then met Connor Ball via a mutual friend. In mid-2012, the band started uploading cover songs to their YouTube channel.
2013–present: Meet the Vamps and breakthrough
On 22 July 2013, the band uploaded their first original song, "Wildheart" (later re-titled "Wild Heart"), onto their YouTube account; the video received over 46,000 views within the first two days. On 6 August 2013, they released the music video for their debut single "Can We Dance", which received over 1 million views within two weeks. "Can We Dance" was released on 29 September 2013 and debuted at number two on the UK Singles Chart on 6 October 2013; beaten to number two by OneRepublic's "Counting Stars", which sold 1,250 copies more. On 19 November 2013 the band announced they would release their debut album around Easter. On 22 November 2013, The Vamps announced that their second single would be "Wild Heart". The song received its first airplay three days later and was released on 19 January 2014, peaking at number three on the UK Singles Chart the following week.
On 13 March 2014, The Vamps announced that their debut album would be released on 14 April 2014. On 22 March, it was revealed the album would be titled Meet the Vamps. On 6 April, they released "Last Night" as the third single from the album. It debuted at number two in the UK. On 17 April, Meet the Vamps debuted at number two on the Irish Albums Chart, kept off the top spot by Paolo Nutini's Caustic Love. The same album beat The Vamps to number one on the UK Albums Chart.
In May 2014, it was announced that The Vamps would be making a cameo appearance in soap opera, Hollyoaks on 14 May 2014. Hollyoaks released a teaser clip about The Vamps' appearance on YouTube. They were seen getting a picture with Peri Lomax (Ruby O'Donnell) as she goes to their concert with Sienna Blake (Anna Passey).
Bradley Will "Brad" Simpson (born 28 July 1995) is from Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands. He sings lead vocals and plays guitar. Simpson met James McVey via YouTube in 2011 and they have been working on their debut album since.
James Daniel McVey (born 30 April 1994) is from Bournemouth, Dorset. He is the lead guitarist and sings backing vocals. McVey met Brad Simpson via YouTube in 2011 and they have been working on their debut album since.
- Meet the Vamps (2014)
Awards and nominations
|2013||4Music Video Honours 2013||Your Best Breakthrough||Won|
|The Hot Hits Awards||Favourite New Artist|
|2014||Melty Future Awards||Prix Spécial International|
|MTV Brand New||Brand New|
|Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards||UK Favourite Breakthrough|
|Radio Disney Music Awards||The Freshest-Best New Artist||Nominated|
|World Music Awards||World's Best Song - "Can We Dance"|
|World's Best Song - Wild Heart"|
|World's Best Video - "Can We Dance"|
|World's Best Video - "Wild Heart"|
|World's Best Album - Meet the Vamps|
|World's Best Group|
|World's Best Live Act|
|Teen Choice Awards||Love Song - "Somebody to You"|
|Breakout Group - The Vamps|
|Neox Fan Awards||Best group of the year - The Vamps||Finalists|
|Premios 40 Principales||Best International New Act - The Vamps||Pending|
|VEVO Lift Artist||Fans Life Artist||Won|
|BBc Radio 1 Teens Adwards||Friday Download's Best Breakthrough Award - The Vamps||Won|
|Best British Group - The Vamps||Won|
|Best British Single - "Last Night"||Won|
The Vamps supported McFly on their Memory Lane Tour in April and May 2013, and Selena Gomez at London's Hammersmith Apollo on 7 and 8 September 2013. In October, it was announced that The Vamps would support Taylor Swift on the London leg of her Red Tour in February 2014, and The Wanted on the UK and Ireland leg of their Word of Mouth World Tour from 14 March to 1 April. On 12 February 2014, the band announced that they will be headlining their own UK tour in September and October 2014.
- Meet the Vamps Tour (2014)
- McFly - Memory Lane Tour (2013)
- Selena Gomez - Stars Dance Tour (UK, 7 and 8 September 2013)
- Taylor Swift - Red Tour (shows in London, UK, February 2014)
- R5 - Louder World Tour (show in Brirmingham, March 2014)
- The Wanted - Word of Mouth Tour (UK & Ireland, 12 to 31 March and 1 April 2014)
- Austin Mahone - Live on Tour (North America, July & August 2014)
- Vincent, Alice (4 September 2013). "The Vamps - New Music". The Daily Telegraph (Telegraph Media Group). Retrieved 4 September 2013.
- "The Vamps Fansite - Big Announcement". The Vamps Fansite. 28 November 2012. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- White, Claire (5 March 2013). "The Vamps to support McFly headline UK 2013 tour". Love Music; Love Life. Retrieved 30 January 2014.
- "Metro Radio Live with Little Mix, James Arthur and The Vamps". Sky. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- Lloyd, James (7 October 2013). "Former Stratford busker shoots to number two in the UK singles chart". Stratford Herald. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- Lamont, Martin (14 March 2014). "The Vamps talk about their debut album and FINALLY confirm its release date". Unreality TV. Retrieved 15 March 2014.
- Dix, Samuel (26 September 2013). "'We don't mind being chased by girls!' Sutton Coldfield singer of new boy band The Vamps". Birmingham Mail (Trinity Mirror). Retrieved 30 January 2014.
- "The Vamps Live Music Video - Wildheart (Original Song)". YouTube. 6 August 2013. Retrieved 30 January 2014.
- Dix, James (29 January 2014). "Introducing – The Vamps". Vada Magazine. Retrieved 30 January 2014.
- "The Vamps - Can We Dance (Official Video)". YouTube. 6 August 2013. Retrieved 30 January 2014.
- "OneRepublic beat The Vamps to UK number one after heated chart battle". clickmusic.com. 6 October 2013. Retrieved 30 January 2014.
- Wood, Lucy (19 November 2013). "The Vamps tease exciting debut album news: 'We're releasing it around Easter’". sugarscape.com. Retrieved 5 February 2014.
- McGrath, Rachel (22 November 2013). "Watch Out One Direction! The Vamps Announce 'Wild Heart' As Second Single". EntertainmentWise. Retrieved 30 January 2014.
- "The Vamps Fans Hail New Song 'Wild Heart' As "Incredible" After Capital First Play - Listen". Capital FM. 25 November 2013. Retrieved 30 January 2014.
- Blay, Zeba (7 May 2014). "The Vamps to make Hollyoaks cameo". Digital Spy. Hearst Magazines UK. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- Kilkelly, Daniel (7 May 2014). "Hollyoaks: Sienna Blake plans Peri kidnap? - spoiler pictures". Digital Spy. Hearst Magazines UK. Retrieved 7 June 2014.
- "What are The Vamps' birthdays?". Maximum Pop!. Retrieved 16 February 2014.
- London Newsdesk (24 January 2014). "The Vamps' Brad: 'I've been writing our debut album with James McVey for a couple of years'". Press Party. Retrieved 17 February 2014.
- "Video Honours 2013 results: Your Best Breakthrough | Gallery". 4Music.
- "Modo de Manutenção | TVBR". Thevampsbr.com.
- "melty Future Awards : The Vamps gagnants du Prix Spécial International".
- "Brand New for 2014". MTV.
- "Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards - UK Favourite Breakthrough". Nickelodeon UK.
- "Just Announced: The 2014 RDMA Categories and Nominees". Radio Disney.
- "Nomination for worlds best group". World Music Awards.
- Smith, Carl (17 September 2013). "The Vamps talk taking a bath with Selena Gomez: 'It was amazing'". sugarscape.com. Retrieved 30 January 2014.
- Warwick, Charlotte (7 October 2013). "The Vamps announce they will support Taylor Swift on the UK leg of her Red tour". sugarscape.com. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- "The Vamps don't support The Wanted On 2014 UK Arena Tour". Capital FM. 9 October 2013. Retrieved 1 February 2014.
- McGeorge, Alistair (12 February 2014). "The Vamps announce first ever UK headline tour for late 2014 - watch out Union J". Daily Mirror (Trinity Mirror). Retrieved 16 February 2014.