The Velvet Rope Tour – Live in Concert
|The Velvet Rope Tour - Live In Concert|
|Video by Janet Jackson|
|Released||US: March 9, 1999|
|Recorded||October 11, 1998|
|Label||Eagle Rock Entertainment|
|Janet Jackson video chronology|
Japanese double Laser Disc cover
Live in Hawaii/Velvet Rope Tour re-release
E.U. 2005 Re-release
Recorded on October 11, 1998 at Madison Square Garden, New York as part of "The Velvet Rope Tour", the concert was broadcast live on HBO in the United States, and reached an audience of 5.3 million viewers in the US alone. The concert would also be broadcast on the cable channel's international networks at later dates.
Q-Tip makes a special appearance during the performance of "Got 'Til It's Gone". During the performance of "Rope Burn", Jackson picks an unsuspecting member of the audience onto stage and teases them with her performance which included a lap dance. Due to censorship laws, "Rope Burn" and "Any Time, Any Place" were left out of the release in Hong Kong, where the video was issued as a 17 track double VCD.
The full performance was later on released on DVD, Laser Disc and video cassette the same year, and has been certified Platinum by the RIAA It was nominated for 4 Emmy Awards, including "Outstanding Choreography","Outstanding Lighting Direction", "Outstanding Music Direction" and "Outstanding Technical Direction/Camera/Video for a Special". It won the Primetime Emmy Award for "Outstanding Technical Direction/Camera/Video for a Special" in 1999. The video was also nominated for "Outstanding Performance in a Variety Series/Special" and "Outstanding Variety Series/Special" at the 1999 NAACP Image Awards.
"The Velvet Rope - Live In Concert" was re-released as an individual DVD in 2001, 2004 and 2006 and was repackaged with "Live in Hawaii" and re-released as a double disc set in the US and Europe on November 14, 2004, and again in Europe with a different cover in 2005.
- "Velvet Rope"
- "Let's Wait Awhile" /"Again"
- "Control Medley" : "Control" / "The Pleasure Principle" / "What Have You Done For Me Lately" / "Nasty"
- "Escapade Medley" : "Escapade" / "When I Think of You" / "Miss You Much" / "Runaway" / "Love Will Never Do (Without You)"
- "I Get Lonely"
- "Any Time, Any Place" (Instrumental Interlude)
- "Rope Burn"
- "Black Cat"
- "What About"
- "Rhythm Nation"
- "That's the Way Love Goes"
- "Got 'Til It's Gone"
- "Go Deep"
- "Together Again"
The Velvet Rope Tour - Live In Concert
|United States||October 11, 1998||Eagle Rock Entertainment|
|International||March 9, 1999||Image Entertainment|
|UK & Europe||August 28, 2000||Ilc Entertainment|
|International||November 26, 2001||Eagle Rock Entertainment|
|United States||February 24, 2004||Eagle Vision USA|
|International||June 12, 2006||Eagle Rock Entertainment|
Live In Hawaii/The Velvet Rope Tour
|Europe||September 6, 2004||Eagle Rock Entertainment|
|United States||November 16, 2004||Eagle Rock Entertainment|
- HBO's Exclusive Live Concert Event Janet: The Velvet Rope
- Together Again
- Janet Jackson The Velvet Rope Tour Hong Kong VIDEO CD (189287)
- Janet Jackson The Velvet Rope Tour - Live In Concert Japan LAZER DISC (280075)
- Janet Jackson 20 Years Old | And In Control
- Janet: The Velvet Rope (1998) (TV) - Awards
- Amazon.com: Janet Jackson Collector's Edition (Velvet Rope Tour/Live in Hawaii): Janet Jackson: Movies & TV
- Amazon.co.uk: Janet Jackson - Live In Hawaii / Velvet Rope Tour: Janet Jackson: DVD