The Voice of Reason (The Outer Limits)
|"The Voice Of Reason"|
|The Outer Limits episode|
|Episode no.||Season 1
|Directed by||Neil Fearnley|
|Written by||Brad Wright|
|Original air date||20 August 1995|
"The Voice of Reason" is an episode of The Outer Limits television show. It first aired on 20 August 1995, and was the final episode of the first season.
A civilian, Randall Strong, uses his contacts in the military to arrange an appearance before a high-level government committee at the Pentagon.
|“||What is our last line of defense? Is it the military, with all of their power and might? Or is it the courage of a solitary man?||”|
Strong, a former member of Army intelligence, tries to convince the members of the committee that a number of different alien invasions of Earth are occurring, and demands an official investigation and response to the threats. His evidence comes from incidents in previous episodes of the first season:
- the experiments of Simon Kress in "The Sandkings"
- an attempt to take over and impersonate the crew of a spacecraft returning to Earth in "The Voyage Home"
- the alien parasite in "Caught in the Act"
- the alien enzyme able to absorb and imitate living and non-living matter in "If These Walls Could Talk"
- the aliens posing as religious messengers in "Corner of the Eye"
Strong also believes that the committee itself has been infiltrated by one or more aliens posing as humans (see "Birthright"). The episode "The New Breed" is also referenced, though as counter-evidence that bizarre occurrences from this episode were a result of an uncontrolled experiment, and not a result of alien interference.
During the long and stressful meeting it appears that the committee chairman, Thornwell, is an infiltrator because of his opposition to Strong's evidence and claims.
The committee adjourns for a private conference to discuss their decision. Upon returning they announce that Strong's evidence and claims of multiple alien invasions have been rejected. In response Strong grabs a gun from a guard and kills Chairmen Thornwell — believing him to be the one blocking further investigation and hoping to expose his alien nature by injuring him.
However, Thornwell was privately arguing in support of Strong and was outvoted. Almost all other committee members were the infiltrators, and the death of Thornwell has opened the way for them for a complete takeover of the committee's activities.
The episode ends with the infiltrators wondering if any of the other alien species will pose a threat to their plans, musing that "anything is possible".
|“||Sleep soundly in the knowledge that the dawn will come. Rest assured that our leaders are watching over us. But beware. For it is only their vigilance that stands between our restful slumber... and the end of the world.||”|
- This episode is a clip show.
- There is no information in this episode about Randall Strong's further destiny, besides that he, probably, will be imprisoned. But in episode "A Special Edition", it is revealed that Strong was killed in the prison.