|Genres||Dance-pop, pop, Eurodance|
|Years active||2009–present (on hiatus)|
|Labels||Geffen, Island, Mercury (2009-2014)|
The Wanted are an Anglo-Irish boy band consisting of members Max George, Siva Kaneswaran, Jay McGuiness, Tom Parker and Nathan Sykes. They formed in 2009 and were signed worldwide to Universal Music subsidiaries Island Records and Mercury Records, and managed by Scooter Braun.
The band's debut album, The Wanted, was released on 25 October 2010 and peaked at number four on the UK Album chart. The album spawned three UK top 20 singles: their debut single "All Time Low", which debuted at number one, "Heart Vacancy", which reached number two, and "Lose My Mind", which peaked at number 19. Follow-up album Battleground saw release on 4 November 2011 and hit number five in the UK and number four in Ireland. The lead single from the album, "Gold Forever", was released in aid of Comic Relief and reached number three in the UK. Their second number-one hit, "Glad You Came", topped the singles chart in the United Kingdom for two weeks, and in Ireland for five weeks. The third and fourth singles "Lightning" and "Warzone" hit number two and number 21, respectively, in the UK.
In early 2012, The Wanted began to see success in the United States and Canada, with their hit single "Glad You Came" selling 3 million copies in the US and hitting number three on the Billboard Hot 100 and number two on the Canadian Hot 100. Additionally, their follow-up singles "Chasing the Sun" and "I Found You" reached the top spot on the Billboard Hot Dance Club Songs chart. In 2013, it was announced that the group would be starring in their very own reality series on E! entitled The Wanted Life. The series would document the group's stay in Los Angeles while they recorded their third worldwide album and prepare for a world tour, as well as their day-to-day antics. The show promised an honest glimpse into the lives of the band members.
- 1 History
- 2 Members
- 3 Discography
- 4 Media
- 5 Tours
- 6 Filmography
- 7 Awards and nominations
- 8 References
- 9 External links
2009–2010: Formation and debut album
The Wanted were formed in 2009 through mass auditions held by Jayne Collins, who also put together The Saturdays and Parade. The audition process, which saw more than 1,000 people attend, took over nine months. Originally just George, Parker and Sykes were involved, with Kaneswaran and McGuiness joining later through the process. The group revealed in their autobiography that after they were informed of the line-up, seven more people were re-auditioned before they were signed to Maximum Artist Management and Geffen Records.
The group were credited with co-writing five of the thirteen tracks on the album. On 25 July 2010, they released their debut single, "All Time Low". The song was co-written by Steve Mac (who also produced it), Wayne Hector and Ed Drewett. It hit number one in the UK and spent 17 weeks in the UK top 40. The second single "Heart Vacancy", again written with Hector, was released on 17 October 2010. It peaked at number two on the UK Singles Chart. The group's third single from the album was "Lose My Mind" which reached number 19 on the UK Singles Chart following a performance on The X Factor. The group's eponymous debut album was released on 25 October 2010 which peaked at number four in the UK and has since been certified Platinum in the UK. Between 28 March and 15 April 2010, the group embarked on the fifteen date "Behind Bars" theatre tour which saw them play in twelve UK cities. They were supported by Lawson, Twenty Twenty and Starboy Nathan.
2011–12: Battleground, The Wanted: The EP and international breakthrough
In January 2011, the group began to work on their second studio album. The album featured writing credits from the band members on ten of the fifteen tracks, as well as contributions from Steve Mac, Wayne Hector, Ed Drewett, Diane Warren and Guy Chambers. The album's lead single, "Gold Forever", was released in aid of Comic Relief and debuted at number three on the UK Singles Chart. In July 2011, the group released the album's second single, "Glad You Came", which became their second number-one single, staying there for two weeks, and in the top ten of the chart for six weeks. The single also reached number one in Ireland and remained there for five weeks. The song also charted in some European territories, and was very successful in Australia. The third single from the album, "Lightning", was released on 16 October 2011, peaking at number 2 in the UK and number 5 in Ireland. The fourth single, "Warzone", was released on 26 December 2011, with the music video and radio debut coming in early November 2011. On 7 November 2011, the group's second album Battleground was released. It debuted at number 5 in the UK and number 4 in Ireland. It has since been certified Platinum in the UK. In addition to shows in the United Kingdom including T4 on the Beach, V Festival and the iTunes Festival, the group supported Canadian singer Justin Bieber in Brazil on 8 and 9 October 2011 and also supported Britney Spears on her Femme Fatale Tour at the Manchester Evening News Arena on 6 November 2011.
Between 15 February and 9 March 2012, the group embarked on "The Code" tour, to promote the release of the album. The 16-date arena tour saw the group play in thirteen cities in England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland and Northern Ireland. Known as #TheCodeTour, each concert featured an interactive element that linked to the group's official Facebook and Twitter pages.
In a bid to break into the United States market, The Wanted went on a short promotional radio and club tour of the United States, touring between 17 January to 8 February 2012. The success of the 10-date tour led to the group's official release of their debut American single, "Glad You Came". It peaked at number three on the Billboard Hot 100 and has since sold over 3 million copies there. Their debut American EP, The Wanted: The EP, was released in April 2012, debuting at number seven in the US and number eight in Canada. "Chasing the Sun" was released as the band's second official single there, peaking at number 50 on the BillboardHot 100 whilst also reaching number one on the Hot Dance Club Songs chart. "Chasing the Sun" was released on 21 May 2012. On 22 May 2012, the band opened and performed at the first Q102's Springle Ball concert. On 14 June 2012 the band performed a concert at New York City's Beacon Theater, which was also broadcast live on music television station Fuse. The group visited Australia and New Zealand for the promotion of their extended play in August 2012. Following their promotional tour of Australia, the group headed to the US for a number of promotional concerts.
2012–13: Word of Mouth, The Wanted Life and world tour
The Wanted began working on their third studio album shortly after the release of Battleground on 4 November 2011. In May 2012, "Chasing the Sun" was released as the album's lead single, and the third single from the band's The Wanted: The EP in the United States. Around this time, the band also premiered a brand new track called "Satellite", which was co-written by Ryan Tedder of OneRepublic. In August 2012, the band filmed a music video in Los Angeles, reportedly for their brand new single, "I Found You". However, when the video for "I Found You" was released in October 2012, it was a different one. The band later revealed that they had reshot the video in London, not being satisfied with the first one. The original was later released as the "fan version" on VEVO. "I Found You" was released on 5 November 2012 as the album's second single.
The band confirmed in September 2012 that the album would contain a number of collaborations, including tracks with Pitbull, LMFAO, Chris Brown, Rita Ora and Dappy. In November 2012, the band revealed that the album had been pushed back from the original release of 3 December 2012 to February 2013 at their request; the reason stated for this delay was to perfect the album, and "tweak out a few insecurities involving certain tracks". It was confirmed that the album would feature a track co-written by fellow label-mate Justin Bieber.
In early February 2013, it was announced that The Wanted would star in their own reality series called The Wanted Life which premiered internationally in Autumn 2013. The show is produced by Ryan Seacrest. In the United States, it premiered on E! on 2 June 2013.
In April 2013, the band announced the release of the third single from their third album, titled "Walks like Rihanna", named after Barbadian singer Rihanna. It was released on 23 June 2013 and debuted and peaked at number 4 on the UK Singles Chart. On 9 September 2013, the band announced that their new album Word of Mouth would be released on 4 November. It was preceded by the release of "We Own the Night" and "Show Me Love (America)".
On 25 July 2013 the group was spoken to by police after champagne was thrown out of a hotel window, soaking poet Todd Swift. a police statement said "Police were called at around 12.20pm on Thursday, July 25, to a report of a man having been verbally threatened and having had a liquid substance thrown over him at a hotel in Marylebone."
On January 22, 2014, the band announced that they would be taking a hiatus after their current tour and pursuing solo endeavors for a while, but that they would work again together in the future.
- Studio albums
- The Wanted (2012)
The group run a weekly online podcast, #WantedWednesday, featuring backstage footage, social activities and exclusive performances.
In 2012, the group launched an interactive fan site titled "Wanted World", where the fans can get exclusive access to new videos, merchandise, VIP tour tickets, and live web chats. Platinum membership costs ₤100 per year and gold membership ₤40 per year. Since 2013, fans have been able to buy a ₤5 monthly membership that gives them the same access as gold membership.
The Behind Bars Tour was the band's first theatre tour which sold out within weeks of going on sale. It began on 26 March 2011 and concluded on until 15 April. The tour featured 12 different cities with a total of sixteen dates.
|The Behind Bars Tour|
|26 March 2011||Rhyl||Pavilion|
|28 March 2011||Manchester||O2 Apollo|
|29 March 2011||Manchester||O2 Apollo|
|30 March 2011||Newcastle||City Hall|
|1 April 2011||Brighton||Brighton Centre|
|2 April 2011||Nottingham||Royal Concert Hall|
|3 April 2011||Cardiff||Motorpoint Arena|
|5 April 2011||Plymouth||Pavilions|
|6 April 2011||London||HMV Hammersmith Apollo|
|7 April 2011||London||HMV Hammersmith Apollo|
|9 April 2011||Bournemouth||International centre|
|10 April 2011||Sheffield||City Hall|
|11 April 2011||Wolverhampton||Civic Hall|
|13 April 2011||Glasgow||Clyde Auditorium|
|14 April 2011||Glasgow||Clyde Auditorium|
|15 April 2011||Edinburgh||Playhouse|
It was announced on Friday 16 December 2011 that the group would embark on their first US tour, with 10 dates to be held over January and February 2012.
|The Wanted US Tour|
|17 January 2012||Orlando, Florida||The Social|
|20 January 2012||Washington, D.C.||Rock 'N' Roll Hotel|
|22 January 2012||New York City, New York||Irving Plaza|
|24 January 2012||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania||Theatre of Living Arts|
|26 January 2012||Chicago, Illinois||Bottom Lounge|
|27 January 2012||Minneapolis, Minnesota||Fine Line|
|31 January 2012||Dallas, Texas||Prophet Bar|
|2 February 2012||Salt Lake City, Utah||Club Soung|
|7 February 2012||San Diego, California||House of Blues|
|8 February 2012||Los Angeles, California||The Roxy|
The Wanted announced that they would embark on their first arena tour across the UK and Ireland in February and March 2012. Known as The Code Tour and T.W.A.T., each concert features an interactive element that links to their official Facebook and Twitter pages.
|The Code Tour|
|15 February 2012||Nottingham||Capital FM Arena|
|17 February 2012||Manchester||Evening News Arena|
|18 February 2012||Sheffield||Motorpoint Arena|
|20 February 2012||Brighton||Brighton Centre|
|23 February 2012||Cardiff||Motorpoint Arena|
|24 February 2012||Liverpool||Echo Arena|
|25 February 2012||Newcastle||Metro Radio Arena|
|27 February 2012||Glasgow||S.E.C.C|
|28 February 2012||Aberdeen||A.E.C.C|
|1 March 2012||Birmingham||LG Arena|
|2 March 2012||Bournemouth||International Centre|
|3 March 2012||London||The O2 Arena|
|5 March 2012||Brighton||The Brighton Centre|
|6 March 2012||Bournemouth||International Centre|
|8 March 2012||Belfast||Odyssey Arena|
|9 March 2012||Dublin||The O2|
|2013||Chasing the Saturdays||Themselves||1 Episode: #DeepFriedSats|
|The Wanted Life||Themselves||TV series|
Awards and nominations
|2010||The Wanted||Virgin Media Music Awards||Best Newcomer||Nominated|||
|4Music Awards||Hottest Boys||Won|||
|Biggest Breakthrough||Won|||
|"All Time Low"||Best Video||Nominated|||
|2011||Brit Awards||Best British Single||Nominated|||
|The Wanted||Arqiva Awards||Best Breakthrough||Won|||
|BBC Radio 1 Teen Awards||Best British Music Act||Won|||
|2012||"Glad You Came"||Brit Awards||Best British Single||Nominated|||
|Teen Choice Awards||Choice Summer Song||Nominated|
|The Wanted||Choice Music: Breakout Group||Nominated|
|Choice Summer Music Star: Group||Nominated|
|Choice Music Group||Nominated|
|MTV Video Music Awards||Best New Artist||Nominated|
|American Music Awards||Favorite Band, Duo Or Group||Nominated|
|2013||People's Choice Awards||Favorite Breakout Artist||Won|||
|Virgin Media Music Awards||Best Group||Won|||
|Canadian Radio Music Awards||International Group Of The Year||Nominated|
|Nickelodeon UK Kids' Choice Awards||Favourite UK Band||Nominated|
|Radio Disney Music Awards||Best Music Group||Nominated|
|Teen Choice Awards||Choice Music Group||Nominated|
|Choice TV Male Reality Star||Nominated|
|2014||2014 Kids' Choice Awards||UK Favorite Band||Nominated|
|TWFanmily||2014 Kids' Choice Awards||UK Favorite Fan Family|
|"Chasing The Sun"||World Music Awards||World's Best Song||Pending|
|World's Best Video|
|"I Found You"||World's Best Song|
|World's Best Video|
|"Show Me Love"||World's Best Song|
|World's Best Video|
|"Walks Like Rihanna"||World's Best Song|
|World's Best Video|
|"We Own The Night"||World's Best Song|
|World's Best Video|
|BattleGround||World's Best Album|
|Word Of Mouth|
|The Wanted||World's Best Group|
|World's Best Live Act|
- Ingham, James (15 December 2013). "The Wanted dumped by record label after third album massively flops". Daily Star (London). Archived from the original on 15 December 2015.
- "UK Charts > The Wanted". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 2 September 2011.
- "The Wanted Make Fun of Their Manager Scooter Braun".
- "Irish Charts > The Wanted". irish-charts.com Hung Medien. Retrieved 2 September 2011.
- "The Wanted's New Reality Show Premieres". antiMusic. 4 June 2013. Retrieved 16 June 2013.
- "MTV > The Wanted". MTV UK. Retrieved 2 September 2011.
- "Interview with The Wanted". Voice21. Retrieved 2 September 2011.
- "Music - Interview - The Wanted". Digital Spy. Retrieved 3 September 2011.
- "The Wanted record official song for Comic Relief". BBC Online. Retrieved 3 September 2011.
- "The Wanted coming to New Zealand - Story - Entertainment". 3 News.
- Daw, Robbie (7 September 2012). "The Wanted’s "I Found You": Hear Their New Single". Idolator.com. Retrieved 18 November 2012.
- "The Wanted Tease 'Insane' LMFAO Collabos". MTV.com. 21 August 2012. Retrieved 18 November 2012.
- Wilkinson, Sophie (2012-07-16). "The Wanted "We’ll turn down Rita Ora songs if they’re not good enough"". heatworld.com. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "EXCLUSIVE: Dappy reveals all the details about new The Wanted collaboration 'Bring It Home'". Sugarscape. 30 November 2011. Retrieved 18 November 2012.
- "The Wanted to star in 'The Wanted Life' reality series on E!". Reality TV World. 6 February. Retrieved 17 June 2013. Check date values in:
- Bibel, Sara (16 April 2013). "'The Wanted Life' to Premiere Sunday, June 2 on E!". TV by the Numbers. Zap2it. Retrieved 16 April 2013.
- "The Wanted confirm new single 'Walks Like Rihanna' - listen". Digital Spy. 26 April 2013. Retrieved 26 April 2013.
- Eyewear: Report Of The Assault By The Boy Band Known As The Wanted
- The Wanted 'throw champagne over poet Todd Swift', police called - Celebrity News - Digital Spy
- The Wanted run into trouble with the police after drenching poet with champagne from their hotel balcony | the juice - Yahoo omg! UK
- Police Called After The Wanted 'Accused Of Throwing Champagne From A Hotel Window' - Celebrity Gossip, News & Photos, Movie Reviews, Competitions - Entertainmentwise
- Rigby, Sam (7 October 2013). "The Wanted announce 'Word of Mouth' 2014 world tour". Digital Spy (Hearst Magazines UK). Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Important Announcement". thewantedmusic.com. Retrieved 22 January 2014.
- Vena, Jocelyn. "The Wanted To Go On Hiatus After Spring Tour". MTV. Retrieved 22 January 2014.
- The Wanted. "Wanted World". Universal Music. Retrieved 18 April 2013.
- "The Wanted Tour Dates Announced".
- "The Wanted Tour Dates Announced".
- "The Wanted Tour-Lightning". YouTube. 28 March 2011.
- "The Wanted Concert Setlist".
- "Virgin Media Music Awards - Best Newcomer". Virgin Media. Retrieved 11 February 2011.
- "Virgin Media Music Awards - Best Group". Virgin Media. Retrieved 11 February 2011.
- "4 Music Video Honours". Industry Music Group. 26 October 2010. Retrieved 11 February 2011.
- "BRIT Awards 2011: Cheryl Cole, Matt Cardle, The Wanted and Katy Perry all nominated". OK! Magazine. Northern and Shell Media. 13 January 2011. Retrieved 11 February 2011.
- "The Arqiva awards 2011".
- "BBC - Teen Awards - 2011 - Winners".
- Millar, Paul (12 January 2012). "Brit Awards 2012 nominations: Florence + the Machine, Coldplay, more". Digital Spy. Hearst Magazines UK. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- "People's Choice Awards 2013 Nominees - PeoplesChoice.com". CBS. Retrieved 30 January 2013.
- "The Wanted win best group award". Independent.ie. 13 February 2013. Retrieved 17 June 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Wanted (band).|