The Way We Walk – Live in Concert
|The Way We Walk – Live in Concert|
|Video by Genesis|
|Genre||Rock, progressive rock|
Genesis – The Way We Walk – Live in Concert is a 2002 double DVD featuring live performances from the We Can't Dance tour by Genesis. The footage was videotaped on 8 November 1992 at Earls Court in London, and first released on VHS in March 1993 as Genesis Live – The Way We Walk – In Concert. It was also available on PAL format LaserDisc.
The songs on both releases are identical, although the concert on the DVD is split in half to accommodate the extra features. These include interviews, a feature length commentary by the three band members (Tony Banks, Phil Collins and Mike Rutherford), multi-angle viewing options, and photo galleries.
The set list features eight hit singles, from "Turn It On Again" to "Jesus He Knows Me", next to longer album tracks such as "Fading Lights" and "Domino". Seven songs from We Can't Dance are performed. The "Old Medley" comprises excerpts from "Dance on a Volcano", "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway", "The Musical Box", "Firth of Fifth" and "I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)", and snippets of "That's All", "Illegal Alien", "Misunderstanding" and "Follow You Follow Me".
While the two live albums issued prior to this video separated the shorter songs from the longer ones, The Way We Walk – In Concert offered a chance to see them in their original context. The only songs included on The Shorts but absent from the video are "Throwing It All Away", "Mama", "That's All" and "In Too Deep" (the final three having been recorded on the Invisible Touch tour); conversely, the tracks on The Longs all appear on the DVD. The only songs that appear on the video but not on either of the two live albums are "Turn It On Again" (though it was included as a B-side of one of the "Tell Me Why" CD singles in early 1993) and "Dreaming While You Sleep", which appears on Genesis Archive No.2 1976–1992.
- "Land of Confusion" §
- "No Son of Mine"
- "Driving The Last Spike" § (second half only)
- "Old Medley: Dance On A Volcano/The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway/The Musical Box/Firth Of Fifth/I Know What I Like/That's All/Illegal Alien/Follow You, Follow Me"
- "Fading Lights" §
- "Jesus He Knows Me"
- "Dreaming While You Sleep"
- "Home By The Sea/Second Home By The Sea"
- "Hold On My Heart"
- "Domino: In The Glow Of The Night/The Last Domino"
- "The Drum Thing"
- "I Can't Dance" §
- "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight" §
- "Invisible Touch" §
- "Turn It On Again"
§ – performed in a lower key to compensate for the deepening of Phil Collins's voice.
- Interviews – Interviews with Collins, Rutherford and Banks. Standard questions are listed and you click on each to watch their answers.
- Camera Angles – Sixteen camera angles are used throughout the disc, although you can only select four per song. The first one always being the main mix and three alternate angles.
- Slide Show – Still images captured from the tour and set to music.
- Original Tour Programme.
- Commentary. Phil Collins, Mike Rutherford and Tony Banks chatting to themselves and the producers.
- No Son Of Mine (video)
- I Can't Dance (video)
- Hold On My Heart (video)
- Jesus He Knows Me (video)
The DVD was reissued in November 2009 with new 2009 5.1 remix by Nick Davis as part of The Movie Box DVD set. Notably, it was reduced to only one DVD, and had the multi-angle feature and the extras removed.
- Phil Collins – drums, lead vocals
- Tony Banks – keyboards, backing vocals
- Mike Rutherford – lead guitar, bass guitar, backing vocals
- The versions of "Old Medley" on The Longs and on the video can be distinguished by the song titles Phil Collins intones during "I Know What I Like"; "Your Own Special Way" on the former and "Misunderstanding" on the latter.
- Unlike the previous two tours, "Turn It On Again" was performed in its original form, except for a brief crowd appreciation for the musicians on stage.
- During "Turn It On Again" Collins humorously references "All I Need Is a Miracle" and "Silent Running" during his introduction of Mike Rutherford. This was a substantial hit for his band Mike + the Mechanics in 1985.
- An instrumental version of "Way of the World" is used over the end credits.
- The remixed version of "I Can't Dance" used at the beginning of the DVD made by Howard and Trevor Gray, also appeared on the "I Can't Dance" single in 1991 and later on the 2000 compilation Genesis Archive No.2 1976–1992.
- Despite Phil Collins singing the word "fuck" in "Invisible Touch", the video release was rated E ("Exempt from classification") in the UK and is not rated in the US.
- Thompson, D. (2011). "The Way We Walk [DVD] – Genesis | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 25 July 2011.