The Way We Were (Barbra Streisand album)
|The Way We Were|
|Studio album by Barbra Streisand|
|Producer||Tommy LiPuma, Wally Gold|
|Barbra Streisand chronology|
|Rolling Stone (Second review)||Favorable|
The Way We Were is an album recorded by singer Barbra Streisand. It was originally released in 1974 with the title The Way We Were but due to legal disputes with producer Ray Stark who produced the feature film with the same name, the album was re-issued and re-titled Barbra Streisand Featuring The Hit Single The Way We Were And All In Love Is Fair, the title The Way We Were was removed from the front, and the spine of the vinyl release reflected the new title. The title has since been changed back to The Way We Were and the cover art has had this title added back to its original release for its 2002 digitally remastered compact disc issuing.
The album contains six songs originally recorded in 1970 for an album that was to be entitled The Singer that was eventually shelved. In 1991 two other tracks recorded for The Singer ("The Singer" and "I Can Do It") were issued on Streisand's four-disc retrospective box set Just for the record.... The new songs recorded specifically for this album were "The Way We Were", "All In Love Is Fair", "Being At War With Each Other" and "Something So Right".
The album peaked at number 1 in the Billboard albums chart for two weeks and has been certified double platinum by the RIAA for sales of around 2,000,000. The album was certified Silver in UK (for 60,000 copies shipped) where this release was Streisand's fourth album to chart, it peaked at number 49.
The Way We Were has sold 3,000,000 copies world-wide.
The cover photograph was originally intended for a fashion spread in McCall's magazine.
The track "Pieces of Dreams" was written for the 1970 Robert Forster film of the same name. Although Streisand's rendition of the tune was not featured in the movie itself, Columbia Records did issue a promo-only single of Streisand's version in 1970. It received little attention at the time.
- "Being at War with Each Other" (Carole King) — 4:01
- "Something So Right" (Paul Simon) — 4:26
- "The Best Thing You've Ever Done" (Martin Charnin) — 2:49
- "The Way We Were" (from The Way We Were) (Marvin Hamlisch, Alan Bergman, Marilyn Bergman) — 3:31
- "All in Love Is Fair" (Stevie Wonder) — 3:51
- "What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life?" (Michel Legrand, Alan Bergman, Marilyn Bergman) — 3:19
- "Summer Me, Winter Me" (Michel Legrand, Alan Bergman, Marilyn Bergman) — 2:55
- "Pieces of Dreams" (Michel Legrand, Alan Bergman, Marilyn Bergman) — 3:26
- "I've Never Been a Woman Before" (Tom Baird, Ronald Miller) — 2:44
- Medley: "My Buddy/How About Me?" (Walter Donaldson, Gus Kahn), (Irving Berlin) — 4:08
|Canada (Music Canada)||Platinum||100,000^|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Silver||60,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||2× Platinum||2,000,000^|
^shipments figures based on certification alone
- William Ruhlmann (2012). "Allmusic Review: Barbra Streisand -The Way We Were (album)". www.allmusic.com. Retrieved 16 November 2012.
- Jon Landau (June 6, 1974). "Rolling Stone Review-The Way We Were". www.rollingstone.com. Retrieved November 16, 2012.
- Robert Christgau (1974). "Robert Christgau Review: Barbra Streisand -The Way We Were (album)". www.robertchristgau.com. Retrieved 16 November 2012.
- Billboard's Top Album Picks - Billboard's Recommended LP's - Barbra Streisand: The Way We Were. Billboard Magazne. February 9, 1974. Retrieved May 30, 2014.
- Stephen Holden (4/11/74). "Rolling Stone Review-The Way We Were". superseventies.com. Retrieved May 30, 2014. Check date values in:
- "Barbra Streisand The Way We Were (album) Silver Certification". www.bpi.co.uk. Retrieved 2 September 2012.
- "Barbra Streisand The Way We Were (album) UK album chart". www.chartstats.com. Archived from the original on 22 July 2012. Retrieved 2 September 2012.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, NSW: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "Top Albums/CDs - Volume 21, No. 7" (PHP). RPM. 1974-03-30. Retrieved 2014-04-29.
- Oricon Album Chart Book: Complete Edition 1970-2005. Roppongi, Tokyo: Oricon Entertainment. 2006. ISBN 4871310779.
- "Barbra Streisand > Artists > Official Charts". UK Albums Chart. Retrieved 2014-04-28.
- "Allmusic: Barbra Streisand: Charts & Awards". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2014-04-28.
- "RPM Top 100 Albums of 1974". RPM. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- "Billboard.BIZ Top Pop Albums of 1974". billboard.biz. Archived from the original on 2012-12-31. Retrieved 2014-04-28.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2000 Albums". Australian Recording Industry Association.
- "Canadian album certifications – Barbra Streisand – The Way We Were". Music Canada.
- "British album certifications – Barbra Streisand – The Way We Were". British Phonographic Industry. Enter The Way We Were in the field Search. Select Title in the field Search by. Select album in the field By Format. Click Go
- "American album certifications – Barbra Streisand – The Way We Were". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved 2011-09-22. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH