The Wheatley School
The Wheatley School is a public high school serving grades 8 through 12 located in Old Westbury, Long Island, New York and part of the East Williston Union Free School District. The school district encompasses all of East Williston and parts of Mineola, Albertson, Old Westbury, and Roslyn Heights.
Opened in 1955, Wheatley recently completed an extensive refurbishment and celebrated its 50th anniversary. In spite of its small size, Wheatley has a very competitive athletic program including the state championship in boys' soccer in 2005 and the runner up in girls' soccer in 2006. School spirit is reflected in the fact that over 65% of students play on at least one sports team. Recently Wheatley's football team has joined with Carle Place.
The Wheatley School is consistently ranked among the top high schools in the nation by Newsweek's "America's Top Public High Schools" survey, http://www.newsweek.com which is published every year. In 2008, it was ranked #67. It also ranks highly in the U.S. News & World Report "America's Best High Schools" list, at #40 in 2013. Also in 2011 Newsweek's "America's Top Public High Schools" it rated at number 55 out of 1,000.
In 1966, Wheatley introduced an innovative program called "Freedom of the Grounds", or "FOG". This was a privilege given to certain students allowing them to leave study halls and other free periods at will, unsupervised and on their own recognizance. Issued as an actual card carried by a student, it was a universal hall pass as well. This was considered a very modern idea, breaking with traditional high school tenets that all students should be locatable at all times.
The Wheatley School Alumni Association, *www.wheatleyalumni.org, was founded in 2007 by Art Engoron,'67.
- Carol Alt - model/actress
- Brad Feuer - TV/radio medical host, Chief Surgeon of Florida Highway Patrol
- Bethenny Frankel - television personality (Real Housewives of New York City, Bethenny Ever After), founder of SkinnyGirl cocktail empire, The New York Times Best Seller list author
- Todd Glickman - radio meteorologist
- Rick Hoffman - actor
- Erica Gimbel - star of Princesses: Long Island
- Reza Jarrahy - plastic surgeon, husband to actress Geena Davis
- Stephanie Klein - blogger and writer
- Nicole Krauss - writer
- Stefan P. Kruszewski - clinical and forensic psychiatrist, fraud investigator
- Carol Leifer - Seinfeld writer, comedian
- Mike Masters - professional soccer player
- Carlos Mendes - professional soccer player
- Shep Messing - soccer player
- Steven Rubenstein - anthropologist
- Steven Starr - filmmaker, media activist
- Todd Strasser - writer
- The Wheatley School website, accessed March 16, 2012.
- Web site for The Wheatley School
- Long Island High School Soccer Information
- East Williston Union Free School District