|Studio album by Transatlantic|
|Released||23 October 2009|
|Genre||Progressive rock, symphonic rock|
|Label||Metal Blade Records (US)
Inside Out Music (Europe)
|Lords of Metal||(92/100)|
|Sea of Tranquility|||
The Whirlwind is the third studio album by the band Transatlantic, released on 23 October 2009. It is available in three formats: a standard edition, a double disc special edition and a deluxe edition with a 105 minute making-of DVD.
The main album, while indexed into twelve tracks, is considered one song. It is represented as one track on the band's third and fourth live album Whirld Tour 2010: Live in London and More Never Is Enough: Live In Manchester & Tilburg 2010 respectively.
The bonus disc (which comes with the Special and Deluxe Editions) includes eight new studio recordings: four original Transatlantic songs and four cover songs. At the end of the second disc, there is a hidden track by the band, played on ukulele with vocals.
- Written and arranged by Transatlantic.
|1.||"The Whirlwind" 
Special edition bonus disc
|1.||"Spinning"||Stolt, Portnoy, Trewavas, Morse||9:58|
|3.||"For Such a Time"||Morse, Trewavas||5:22|
|4.||"Lending a Hand"||Trewavas||8:43|
|5.||"The Return of the Giant Hogweed"||Tony Banks, Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett and Mike Rutherford||Genesis||8:26|
|6.||"A Salty Dog"||Gary Brooker||Procol Harum||4:59|
|7.||"I Need You"||George Harrison and Gerry Beckley||America / The Beatles||4:39|
- Note: "I Need You" is a combination of The Beatles' "I Need You" and America's "I Need You"
- Note: "Soul Sacrifice" ends at 8:38, followed by silence and a hidden track.
- Neal Morse — keyboards, acoustic guitars, percussion, and vocals
- Mike Portnoy — drums and vocals
- Roine Stolt — electric guitars, vocals, percussion, additional mellotron, minimoog & soundscapes
- Pete Trewavas — bass guitar, vocals, occasional VST Synth & orchestration
- Chris Carmichael — real strings
- Marc Papeghin — French horn
- Collin Leijenaar, Jessica Koomen, Henk Doest - Fingersnaps
- Arranged & Produced by Transatlantic
- Engineered by Jerry Guidroz
- Mixed by Richard Mouser
- Mastered by Robert Vosigen at Capitol Mastering, Hollywood CA
- "Online Press Kit for Neal Morse | Bill Evans Media". web.archive.org. Archived from the original on 27 February 2012. Retrieved 8 December 2013.
- The Whirlwind review lordsofmetal.nl. Retrieved on 2010-08-10.
- Jessup, Scott. The Whirlwind review seaoftranquility.org. 2009-12-24. Retrieved on 2010-05-22.
- Mesenov, Sergey. "The Whirlwind - Transatlantic | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 8 December 2013.
- Transatlantic - The Whirlwind Deluxe Edition Box Set www.radiantrecords.com. Retrieved on 2009-09-21.
- "More Never Is Enough - Transatlantic | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 8 December 2013.
- "Transatlantic | Awards | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 8 December 2013. "op Heatseekers"
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche - musicline.de". musicline.de. Retrieved 8 December 2013.