Nancy Drew: The White Wolf of Icicle Creek
|Nancy Drew: White Wolf of Icicle Creek|
The White Wolf of Icicle Creek is the 16th installment in the Nancy Drew point-and-click adventure game series by Her Interactive. The game is available for play on Microsoft Windows platforms as well as the Nintendo Wii. It has an ESRB rating of E for moments of mild violence and references to alcoholic beverages. Players take on the first-person view of fictional amateur sleuth Nancy Drew and must solve the mystery through interrogation of suspects, solving puzzles, and discovering clues. There are two levels of gameplay, Junior and Senior detective modes, each offering a different difficulty level of puzzles and hints, however neither of these changes affect the actual plot of the game. The game is loosely based on a book entitled The Mystery of the Mother Wolf (2000).  
|Nancy Drew: The White Wolf of Icicle Creek|
|PC and Wii review scores for Nancy Drew: The White Wolf of Icicle Creek|
Nancy Drew travels to Alberta, Canada to stay at Icicle Creek Lodge. Chantal, the owner of the lodge, has asked her to investigate a recent string of suspicious accidents that have happened at the lodge. A white wolf also appears at the site of the accidents and then mysteriously disappears when the police arrive. As Nancy makes her way to the lodge, an explosion destroys the bunkhouse and a wolf howls ominously in the distance. Nancy has barely set foot on the premises and already trouble is afoot! It's up to Nancy to solve this mystery before all the guests leave and Chantal is left out in the cold.
- Nancy Drew - Nancy is an eighteen-year old amateur detective from the fictional town of River Heights in the United States. She is the only playable character in the game, which means the player must solve the mystery from her perspective.
- Ollie Randall - Ollie is the handyman at the lodge. He is tired of the wolf disrupting his day and terrorizing guests. He is a rather gruff man, who believes that shooting the wolf and mounting it on the wall will solve all of the Lodge's problems. Could he be using the wolf as a cover for his own personal agenda?
- Freddie Randall - Freddie is Ollie's young daughter. She spends all day playing "Snow Princess" in her ice fort and challenging anyone who tries to pass by to a snowball fight. Does she have a hidden secret?
- Yanni Volkstaia - Yanni is an egotistical Olympic cross-country skier from the country of Fredonia. He believes that his competitors are spying on him and trying to rattle his nerves by causing the accidents at the Lodge. What is making Yanni feel so paranoid?
- Guadalupe Comillo - Guadalupe, known as Lupe to her friends, is a birdwatcher from Los Angeles. She knows surprisingly little about birds but plenty about wolves. Guadalupe arrived at the lodge just as the trouble with the wolf started, and she hasn't been frightened away yet. Could she be trying to scare away the other guests?
- Bill Kessler - Bill is an avid ice fisherman who enjoys spending his days catching record-setting Northern Pikes at the lodge. The prowling wolf has put a damper on Bill's trip, and he wants it destroyed, even if it means destroying Icicle Creek Lodge. Could his obsession and hatred cause him to resort to sabotage?
- Lou Talbot - Lou is an art student from California who has come to the lodge to snowshoe. He's the only one who says the wolf isn't responsible for the sabotage, but is there more to the story that he's not telling?
- Chantal Moique - Chantal is the manager of Icicle Creek Lodge who asks Nancy to investigate the accidents. Nancy must call her to discuss important elements of the case.
- Tino Balducci - Tino is a returning character from Nancy Drew: Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon. He is a police detective that Chantal has hired to assist Nancy. He can be called for hints and tips.
- Ned Nickerson - Nancy's boyfriend. He can be called for hints and tips.
- Sheriff Mahihkan - The local sheriff who investigated the bunkhouse explosion. He is useful for more information about the bunkhouse explosion.
- Dr. Nikki Sabatini - Dr. Sabatini is a geologist who was conducting a survey of Icicle Creek when all of her geophones were stolen.
- Carl Jenkins - Carl fell down an icy flight of stairs at the Lodge and broke his leg.
- Ginny Faringdale - Mrs. Faringdale and her family all came down with food poisoning while staying at the Lodge.
- Elsa Sibblehoth - Elsa, Icicle Creek Lodge's former maid, quit her job after her tires were slashed.
- Derek Southwaite - Derek and his wife had to evacuate the sauna after the Lodge experienced a gas leak.
- Avalanche Patrol - Nancy must call them to report any avalanches in the area.
- Pinevale Hospital - They provide more information about Julius McQuade.
- Ollie Randall - Mark Shone
- Chantal Moique - Kate Jaeger
- Bill Kessler - Jonah Von Spreecken
- Lou Talbot - Gabriel Baron
- Yanni Volkstaia - Evan Newton
- Guadalupe Comillo - Kate Wisniewski
- Sheriff Mahihkan / Additional Voices - Keith Dahlgren
- Ned Nickerson - Scott Carty
- Tino Balducci - Jeff Minnerly
- Nikki Sabatini / Additional Voices - Amy Broomhall
- Additional Voices - Brian Neel 
The White Wolf of Icicle Creek features the second new user interface in the series. The new interface includes menu icons to save, load, exit, and adjust settings from within the game. The notebook, inventory and task list have also been turned into icons in the game window. The written dialogue presentation is now in a pop-up window to save space. The size of the text has been reduced quite significantly. Also, the clock has been made smaller and is shown in a digital format. It is always visible in the top right hand corner of the screen.
- Continually use the bathroom (after Guadalupe has been kicked out of the Lodge) until Nancy sings a little song, "Call 1-555-MYSTICO and prepare to be amazed!" Dialing this secret number puts her in contact with "Mystico the Magnificent", a magician.
- Have Nancy ask for "something very special". Go back to the ice fishing pond. Fish for the egg.
- Call Mystico again and ask "to be hypnotized".
- Open the locked door called Chinook across from Nancy's room
- Set the alarm clock for any time, and Nancy will have a scary dream.
In each of the games, there are different points where Nancy can make "fatal errors." These points are usually when she blows her cover as a detective, gets fired, or gets seriously injured. At such points, the game will stop and give the player the option to try again before the fatal error occurred. If the player doesn't wish to retry, then the game is over. The fatal errors in The White Wolf of Icicle Creek include:
- Staying outside for too long and getting hypothermia.
- Burning food in the kitchen and causing a fire.
- Forgetting to cook meals and getting fired.
- Falling through a hole in the ice while shoveling snow.
- Causing an avalanche.
- Failing to connect the pipes in the sauna in time.
- Catching a mine while ice fishing.
- Wrecking the snowmobile.
An award is given at the end of the game based on your sleuthing style. These are all of the possible awards:
- Deer Detective: For superlatory sleuthing.
- Gaming Goose: For playing The Fox and the Geese.
- Lab Rat: For spending way too much time with radiation.
- Learned Lynx: For incredible research skills.
- Mystery Moose: For your tenacious investigation.
- Polar Bear: For spending a lot of time in the cold.
- Rapid Rabbit: For solving puzzles in the least amount of time.
- Snake Charmer: For giving Tino a reason for living.
- Snow Monkey: For your love of snowball fights.
- White Wolf: For your love of our canine friends.
- Sly Fox: For trying to weasel out of your domestic duties.
References to Previous Games
References to previous games in the series include:
- Nancy's desk features a scrapbook which includes all of the previous games in the series.
- Nancy can have humorous conversations with Mystico the Magnificent. If Nancy asks for "a reason for living", he will cite all of the people who have asked for Nancy's help in each game. Asking about "danger" will have Mystico cite all of the culprits from each game. If you ask for a hint, Mystico will cite all of the people (or animals) who gave Nancy some hints in each game.
- Nancy talks to herself when she uses the bathroom. Many of the quotes are references to characters from past games. They are included below.
- Nancy Drew: Secrets Can Kill
- Bathroom Quote: "Like a bullet from a gun, she arrives on the scene." (Reference to a song from the game)
- Mystico the Magnificent indirectly mentions Eloise Drew and Mitch Dillon.
- Nancy Drew: Stay Tuned for Danger
- Bathroom Quote: "'Stay beautiful.' As if. That guy was such a jerk." (This is a reference to Rick Arlen and his catchphrase, "Stay beautiful.")
- Mystico the Magnificent indirectly mentions Dwayne Powers and Mattie Jensen.
- Nancy Drew: Message in a Haunted Mansion
- There is a photo of Lizzie Applegate in the lodge, and she is listed among the celebrities who visited the lodge and assisted Trapper Dan.
- Bathroom Quote: "'I see you, I see you.' Sheesh. I can’t believe I fell for that." (This is a reference to a painting in the mansion that whispers, "I see you," whenever Nancy walks by)
- Mystico the Magnificent indirectly mentions Rose Green, Louis Chandler, and Hannah Gruen.
- Nancy Drew: Treasure in the Royal Tower
- Bathroom Quote: “Spicy devil villain venom my foot." (This is a reference to the culprit using pepper spray to temporarily blind Nancy)
- Mystico the Magnificent indirectly mentions Lisa Ostrum and Christi Lane.
- Nancy Drew: The Final Scene
- Bathroom Quote: "Fight the power!" (This is a direct quote from Nicholas Falcone)
- Mystico the Magnificent indirectly mentions Joseph Hughes and Maya Nguyen.
- Nancy Drew: Secret of the Scarlet Hand
- The newspaper article from Tino says that Lou Talbot was inspired by Poppy Dada.
- The geiger counter was manufactured by Krolmeister.
- Bathroom Quote: "Want a cookie? They’re from Oaxaca." (This is a direct quote from Taylor Sinclair)
- Mystico the Magnificent indirectly mentions Joanna Riggs and Taylor Sinclair.
- Nancy Drew: Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake
- Bathroom Quote: "'Strix varia' – what was that guy thinking?" (This is a reference to Red Knott who is often looking for birds such as the strix varia)
- Mystico the Magnificent indirectly mentions Emily Griffen and Sally McDonald.
- Nancy Drew: The Haunted Carousel
- Nancy can ask Bill Kessler if he is related to Rolfe Kessler.
- Bathroom Quote: "I am Miles the Magnificent Memory Machine." (This is a direct quote from Miles the Magnificent Memory Machine)
- Mystico the Magnificent indirectly mentions Elliott Chen and Paula Santos.
- Nancy Drew: Danger on Deception Island
- Bathroom Quote: "Whales RULE!" (This is a direct quote from Andy Jason)
- Mystico the Magnificent indirectly mentions Katie Firestone and Andy Jason.
- Nancy Drew: The Secret of Shadow Ranch
- Nancy's journal states that Ed and Bet Rawley recommended Nancy to Chantal Moique.
- Bathroom Quote: "Yep, nope, yep, nope, yep, nope..." (This is a reference to Tex Britten who often gives Nancy one-word responses to questions)
- Mystico the Magnificent indirectly mentions Shorty Thurmond and Ed and Bet Rawley.
- Nancy Drew: Curse of Blackmoor Manor
- Bathroom Quote: "Cake cake cake. Loulou want cake." (The Penvellyn family's parrot, Loulou, says this if Nancy wants a hint)
- Mystico the Magnificent indirectly mentions Jane Penvellyn, Loulou, and Mrs. Petrov.
- Nancy Drew: Secret of the Old Clock
- Bathroom Quote: "Zippily zipping zipful Zippy’s zestful zeal." (This is poking fun at a quote from the man at Zippy's gas station, "Welcome to Zippy's, where zipless service is zippily zapped, and Zippy's service is the zippiest!")
- Mystico the Magnificent indirectly mentions Emily Crandall and Jane Willoughby.
- Nancy Drew: Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon
- Tino Balducci is a returning character.
- Bathroom Quote: "Cheeseburger..." (Joe Hardy says this to correct Nancy when she says that he wants a hamburger)
- Mystico the Magnificent indirectly mentions Lori Girard and Tino Balducci.
- Nancy Drew: Danger By Design
- Bathroom Quote: "A hundred Euros? Are you ‘fou’?" (This is a reference to the bargaining Nancy does in Square du Vert Galant Park)
- Bathroom Quote: "Rude. Very rude." (Minette uses the word "rude" when something is awesome or cool)
- Mystico the Magnificent indirectly mentions Minette and Amy Grunhild.
- Nancy Drew: The Creature of Kapu Cave
- Bathroom Quote: *sings Wiki Tiki song* (This is from the Wiki Tiki game at Big Island Mike's Immersion Excursion)
- Mystico the Magnificent indirectly mentions Dr. Quigley Kim, Big Island Mike Mapu, and Pua Mapu.
- This is the first game in the series to install Nancy Drew Central, a desktop program that lists all of the Nancy Drew games a user has installed on their computer.
- Carl Jenkins' phone number spells 555-SLIP and the Faringdale family's phone number spells 555-SICK. Tino's number is 312-555-JERK. The avalanche patrol's is 555-BOOM. The hospital's number is 555-HURT, Lou's is 555-BONE, and Chantal's is 555-CASH.
- Guadalupe's nickname, Lupe, is similar to Lupus, the Latin word for "wolf".
- The Fox and Geese game was inspired by a game described in the book Little House on Rocky Ridge.
- "Nancy Drew The White Wolf of Icicle Creek | Girl Games Online". Herinteractive.com.
- Nancy Drew: The White Wolf of Icicle Creek for PC. Metacritic. Retrieved October 30, 2013.
- Nancy Drew: The White Wolf of Icicle Creek for Wii. Metacritic. Retrieved October 30, 2013.
- Nancy Drew: The White Wolf of Icicle Creek for PC. Gamerankings. Retrieved October 30, 2013.
- Nancy Drew: The White Wolf of Icicle Creek for Wii. Gamerankings. Retrieved October 30, 2013.
- Fournier, Heidi (July 6, 2007). Nancy Drew: The White Wolf of Icicle Creek review. Adventure Gamers. Retrieved October 30, 2013.
- Johnson, Neilie (December 16, 2008). Nancy Drew: The White Wolf of Icicle Creek Review. IGN. Retrieved October 30, 2013.
- "Nancy Drew The White Wolf of Icicle Creek IMDb".
Nancy Drew: The Creature of Kapu Cave
|Nancy Drew Computer Games||Succeeded by
Nancy Drew: Legend of the Crystal Skull