The Who 2010 performances
|The Who 2010 performances|
|Tour by The Who|
|Start date||4 February 2010|
|End date||30 March 2010|
|The Who tour chronology|
The Who were selected as the halftime entertainment for Super Bowl XLIV in Miami, the next in a trend of "classic rock" acts the event had featured in recent years, such as Paul McCartney and The Rolling Stones. This was arguably the band’s highest-profile performance to date, comparing only to their Live Aid and Live 8 appearances. In true Super Bowl halftime fashion, the band played a medley of well-known hits, with one song seamlessly run into the next and each song considerably abbreviated. As CBS covered the game, it was little surprise that all three of the band's songs used as CSI themes were included in the medley, which began with "Pinball Wizard" and concluded with "Won't Get Fooled Again". The group also played a short promotional acoustic date leading up to the event, their first show of any kind since April 2009.
On 30 March, the band resurrected Quadrophenia as part of that year’s Teenage Cancer Trust benefit concerts at the Royal Albert Hall in London, with Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder and Kasabian's Tom Meighan as guest vocalists; the show also featured additional brass and string musicians, including violinist Tom Norris of the London Symphony Orchestra. This was the first performance of the rock opera since 1997, but it was presented in similar fashion with the same pre-recorded narrative shown on the video screen between songs to help explain the story.
- Roger Daltrey - lead vocals, harmonica, acoustic guitar
- Pete Townshend - lead guitar, acoustic guitar, vocals
- Pino Palladino - bass guitar
- Zak Starkey - drums
- John "Rabbit" Bundrick - keyboards, piano
- Simon Townshend - rhythm guitar, acoustic guitar, vocals, mandolin
- Tom Norris - Violin (30 March Quadrophenia show)
- Additional brass and string musicians (30 March Quadrophenia show)
Acoustic Super Bowl promotional appearance
Super Bowl XLIV halftime show
The band's set for the 7 February Super Bowl XLIV halftime show in Miami comprised five abbreviated songs, all run together into one long medley. All songs written by Townshend:
London Teenage Cancer Trust Concert
- "I Am the Sea"
- "The Real Me"
- "Cut My Hair"
- "The Punk and the Godfather" (featuring Eddie Vedder)
- "I'm One"
- "The Dirty Jobs" (Simon Townshend on vocals)
- "Helpless Dancer"
- "Is It In My Head?"
- "I've Had Enough" (featuring Eddie Vedder)
- "Sea and Sand" (featuring Tom Meighan)
- "Drowned" (Townshend solo acoustic)
- "Bell Boy" (featuring Tom Meighan)
- "Doctor Jimmy"
- "The Rock"
- "Love, Reign o'er Me"
|Acoustic Super Bowl promotional appearance|
|4 February 2010||Fort Lauderdale, Florida||United States|
|Super Bowl XLIV halftime show|
|7 February 2010||Miami Gardens, Florida||United States||Sun Life Stadium|
|London Teenage Cancer Trust Concert|
|30 March 2010||London||England||Royal Albert Hall|