The Whole Truth (TV series)
|The Whole Truth|
|Created by||Tom Donaghy|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||13  (List of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Jerry Bruckheimer
|Running time||42 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Jerry Bruckheimer Television
Warner Bros. Television
|Original run||September 22 – December 1, 2010|
The Whole Truth is an American legal drama series that ran on ABC from September 22, 2010, to December 1, 2010. Episodes aired on Wednesdays at 10:00 pm ET/9:00 pm CT. The show, which starred Rob Morrow and Maura Tierney, chronicled legal cases from the points of view of both the prosecution and the defense; it was set in New York City and shot in Los Angeles.
ABC canceled The Whole Truth, in October after four episodes had aired. Initially it planned to air the remaining episodes. Two months later, the network pulled the show from its schedule with seven episodes unaired. The unaired episodes later aired on the Nine Network in Australia and in the Netherlands on NET 5 in 2012.
- Rob Morrow as Jimmy Brogan
- Maura Tierney as Kathryn Peale
- Eamonn Walker as Sr. ADA Terrence "Edge" Edgecomb
- Sean Wing as Chad Griffin
- Anthony Ruivivar as Alejo Salazar
- Christine Adams as Lena Boudreaux
When ABC announced its 2010 fall schedule in May 2010, The Whole Truth was set to star Morrow and Joely Richardson in the two lead roles. Richardson filmed the original pilot After the show was picked up, Richardson dropped out for personal reasons and was replaced by Maura Tierney, who went on to re-film all the Katie Peale scenes from the pilot. Tierney is taking on the role in addition to her recurring role on Rescue Me.
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||Production
|1||"Pilot"||Alex Graves||Tom Donaghy||September 22, 2010
January 21, 2012 (Netherlands)
|Attorneys Jimmy Brogan and Kathryn Peale argue of the case of a teacher having an affair with one of his students and then murdering her.|
|2||"Thicker Than Water"||Christine Moore||Tom Donaghy||September 29, 2010
January 28, 2012 (Netherlands)
|Jimmy and Kathryn face off in the case of a woman suspected of rolling her wheelchair-using father off the Staten Island Ferry.|
|3||"Judicial Discretion"||Rob Bailey||Kevin J. Hynes & Hannah Shakespeare||October 6, 2010
February 4, 2012 (Netherlands)
|When a beloved judge (Judd Hirsch) is charged with murder he asks Jimmy to represent him. When a wiretap on a drug lord, which was approved by the judge, reveals a larger conspiracy Kathryn considers filing charges in federal court for murder for hire.|
|4||"True Confessions"||Eagle Egilsson||Ian Biederman & Jordana Lewis Jaffe||October 20, 2010
February 11, 2012 (Netherlands)
|An Upper West Side couple is found lying in a pool of blood in their home. Their 16 year old son is accused of their murder. After an 11 hour interrogation the boy confesses. When Jimmy discovers a gap in the video recording of the interrogation he attempts to get the confession thrown out.|
|5||"When Cougars Attack"||Ken Fink||Story by: Ian Biederman
Teleplay by: Jonathan Kidd & Sonya Winton
|October 27, 2010
February 18, 2012 (Netherlands)
|Jimmy and Edge again face off when a 45-year-old fashion designer (Annabella Sciorra) is accused of murdering another of her younger boyfriends. Jimmy got her acquitted of the previous murder charge three years before. Kathryn and Lena pose for a "sexy lawyer" magazine spread.|
|6||"Liars"||Jeffrey Hunt||Jeffrey Lieber & Jordana Lewis Jaffe||December 1, 2010
February 25, 2012 (Netherlands)
|A dentist is found dead in his chair and his "Stepford wife" is accused of murder. Complications arise when it is discovered that the victim was doing more than just dentistry at work.|
|7||"Uncanny"||Karen Gaviola||Hannah Shakespeare||March 3, 2012
May 28, 2012 (Australia)
|Paul Braun (Harold Perrineau), who claims to be a psychic, is arrested because he knows too many intimate details about a homicide.|
|8||"Cold Case"||Gwyneth Horder-Payton||Ian Biederman||March 10, 2012
June 18, 2012 (Australia)
|After a comatose woman dies, Kathryn brings a new charge of murder for the crime - now 10 years old.|
|9||"Young Love"||Karen Gaviola||Ed Zuckerman||March 17, 2012
July 25, 2012 (Australia)
|Kathryn charges a young couple with manslaughter in the shaken death of an infant - while Jimmy and Alejo each represent one of the defendants.|
|10||"Perfect Witness"||Nathan Hope||Jeffrey Lieber & Jonathan Kidd & Sonya Winton||March 24, 2012
July 3, 2012 (Australia)
|The case against an accused killer from Jimmy's old neighborhood, Hell's Kitchen, rests on the memory of a child with a photographic memory.|
|11||"Lost in translation"||Paul McCrane||Tom Donaghy & Kevin J. Hynes||March 31, 2012(Netherlands)|
|Jimmy represents an old friend from law school who's been charged with arson and murder. But a Chinese gang and an Italian mobster are also involved.|
|12||"The State Calls Kathryn Peale"||Tucker Gates||Paul J. Levine||April 7, 2012
July 10, 2012 (Australia)
|Jimmy represents an ex-con implicated in a drive-by shooting of a defense attorney. It turns out, however, that the target may have been Kathryn.|
|13||"The End"||Rob Bailey||Sonya Winton & Jonathan Kidd||April 14, 2012
July 17, 2012 (Australia)
|Kathryn & Jimmy relate the story of their first case opposing each other. Meanwhile, a retiring judge offers Kathryn an opportunity that's hard to refuse.|
Before the show's premiere, Matthew Gilbert of The Boston Globe said, "Having seen the original Richardson pilot, which was re-filmed to add in Tierney, I can tell you that Tierney saves the show from near worthlessness. She brings a passion, a finely gauged sense of humor, and a strong chemistry with costar Rob Morrow that were missing before." In general, though, the show has received mixed reviews, with Metacritic assigning it a score of 57.
According to Joe Flint of the Los Angeles Times, the "solid" ratings of the second-season premiere of Modern Family and "disappointing numbers" for the second-season premiere of Cougar Town were followed by "just 4.9 million" viewers for The Whole Truth. In comparison, the legal comedy-drama The Defenders, in the same time slot as The Whole Truth, was the "highest-rated new show for the night, with 12.1 million viewers."
- ABC Pulls 'The Whole Truth' From Its Schedule, TV By the Numbers, December 6, 2010
- "L.A. gets a bite of the Big Apple". Company Town (blog) (Los Angeles Times). August 3, 2010. Retrieved 2010-08-04.
- "ABC Announces Fall Premiere Dates". The Futon Critic. July 8, 2010. Retrieved July 31, 2010.
- Hanh Nguyen (May 18, 2010). "ABC's fall TV schedule, night by night". Zap2it. Retrieved May 18, 2010.
- "Maura Tierney In Talks For ABC's 'Truth'". Deadline.com. May 27, 2010. Retrieved 2010-08-04.
- ABC Cancels "The Whole Truth", Entertainment Weekly, October 25, 2010
- David Knox (April 26, 2012). "Airdate: The Whole Truth". TV Tonight. Retrieved June 11, 2012.
- "Net 5 episode 1-5 source". Retrieved July 28, 2012.
- "The Whole Truth Cast & Details". TVGuide.com.
- "ABC announces lineup, picks up 6 new shows". South Florida Sun-Sentinel. May 18, 2010. Retrieved 2010-08-04.
- "Maura Tierney Set For 'The Whole Truth'". Deadline.com. June 11, 2010. Retrieved 2010-08-04.
- Flint, Joe (September 23, 2010). "Ratings roundup: ABC's Modern Family shines but Whole Truth is ugly". Show Tracker (Los Angeles Times). Retrieved 2010-09-25.
- Gorman, Bill (September 30, 2010). "Wednesday Finals: Better With You, The Middle, Modern Family, Survivor, Law & Order: SVU, Law & Order: LA Adjusted Up; Cougar Town, Whole Truth Adjusted Down". Retrieved October 14, 2010.
- Seidman, Robert (October 7, 2010). "Wednesday Finals: ‘Survivor,’ ‘The Middle,’ ‘Modern Family,’ ‘SVU,’ ‘The Defenders’ Up; ‘Cougar Town,’ ‘The Whole Truth’ Down". Retrieved October 14, 2010.
- Seidman, Robert (October 21, 2010). "Wednesday Finals: Survivor, Buster Posey (NLCS), Criminal Minds The Defenders, Law & Order: SVU Adjusted Up; The Whole Truth Down". Retrieved October 23, 2010.
- Gorman, Bill (October 28, 2010). "Wednesday Finals: Survivor: Nicaragua, The Middle Adjusted Up; The Whole Truth Down". Retrieved October 30, 2010.
- Wednesday Final Ratings: America's Next Top Model Adjusted Up, TV By the Numbers, December 2, 2010
- "HAROLD PERRINEAU AND WAYNE KNIGHT GUEST STAR WHEN A PSYCHIC IS ARRESSTED FOR DISPLAYING A LITTLE TOO MUCH KNOWLEDGE ABOUT AN OPEN MURDER CASE, ON ABC’S “THE WHOLE TRUTH”" (Press release). ABC Medianet. November 23, 2010. Retrieved February 10, 2011.
- "THE WHOLE TRUTH: Perfect Witness (11/3)" (Press release). ABC Medianet. October 18, 2010. Retrieved October 20, 2010.
- Gilbert, Matthew (September 22, 2010). "Tierney makes ‘The Whole Truth’ worth seeking". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 2010-09-25.