The Winter Room is a short novel by Newbery Honor award winning author Gary Paulsen. It is a realistic Fiction story about logging and farming, narrated in the first person to two boys by their Norwegian uncle in the "winter room" of a farm in northern Minnesota (U.S.). Like many of his works, it evokes a harsh rural environment using vivid imagery, and has elements of a coming of age tale.
According to Hurst, it is a "brief, intense novel with incredible descriptive scenes" (n.d.), and Schmitz rates it as one of Paulsen's best.
- 1989, USA, Scholastic Press (ISBN 0-531-05839-5), Pub date ? September 1989, hardback (1st edition)
- 1989, USA, Orchard Books (ISBN 0-531-08439-6), Pub date ? October 1989, hardback
- 1996, USA, Yearling Books (ISBN 0-440-40454-1), Pub date ? July 1996, paperback
- 1991, USA, Perfection Learning Prebound (ISBN 0-7807-0416-9), Pub date ? September 1991, hardback
- 1991, USA, Bantam Doubleday Dell (ISBN 0-440-80228-8), Pub date ? April 1991, paperback
- 1995, USA, Yearling Books (ISBN 99954-61-53-6), Pub date ? February 1995, paperback
- 1996, ?, Laurel Leaf (ISBN 0-440-22031-9), Pub date 2 May 1996, paperback
- 1998, ?, Laurel Leaf (ISBN 0-440-22783-6), Pub date ? December 1998, paperback
- 1999, ?, Rebound by Sagebrush (ISBN 0-8335-6149-9), Pub date ? October 1999, hardback
- 2005, USA, Thorndike Press (ISBN 0-7862-7251-1), Pub date 16 February 2005, hardback (large print edition)