The Wooden Sky
|The Wooden Sky|
The Wooden Sky performing at the 2011 Burlington Sound of Music Festival
|Also known as||Friday Morning's Regret|
|Origin||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Genres||Indie rock, folk rock, alternative country|
|Labels||Black Box / Loose (Europe)|
|Past members||Chris Cocca
The Wooden Sky are a Canadian indie rock band based in Toronto, Ontario. They formed in 2003 as Friday Morning's Regret, but changed their name in 2007. They are currently signed to Black Box Recordings who has released their last two records.
The band originated after lead singer Gavin Gardiner wrote songs for a school project while attending Ryerson University. He formed the band with bassist Andrew Wyatt and drummer Chris Cocca, who has left the band. Their debut album, released in 2007, is When Lost at Sea. Band members now include Gardiner (vocals, guitars, harmonica), Wyatt (bass, vocals), Simon Walker (piano, vocals, guitar) and Andrew Kekewich (percussion).The band is frequently joined by Anissa Hart (Ohbijou, Kite Hill, The Rural Alberta Advantage) (cello), Mika Posen (Forest City Lovers, Timber Timbre) (violin, viola), and Edwin Huizinga (The Mars Volta) (violin).
The band recorded their second album, If I Don't Come Home You'll Know I'm Gone in late 2008 and early 2009 in Montreal with producer Howard Bilerman (Arcade Fire, Thee Silver Mt. Zion, Basia Bulat). This record, released on August 25, 2009, saw them push the limits of the folk and country genres that was heard on When Lost At Sea with a more sonic and multi-instrumentally layered aesthetic.
They toured extensively throughout 2009 and 2010 in Canada, Europe and the United States in support of their 2009 release If I Don't Come Home You'll Know I'm Gone with Elliott Brood, The Rural Alberta Advantage and Yukon Blonde.
On February 28, 2012, the band released its third LP, titled "Every Child a Daughter, Every Moon a Sun". This record was again recorded by Bilerman, this time with the help of Radwan Ghazi Moumneh, and Montreal's iconic Hotel 2 Tango. The album had been made available to stream in its entirety on February 21 on Exclaim's website.
As an encore, the band often plays a cover of Tom Petty's American Girl.
- When Lost at Sea (2007)
- If I Don't Come Home You'll Know I'm Gone (2009)
- Bedrooms + Backstreets Tour EP (2009)
- City of Light Tour EP (2011)
- Every Child a Daughter, Every Moon a Sun (2012) No. 66 CAN
- Craig, Lindsay (June 7, 2007). "New name, album and tour for The Wooden Sky", Chart. Retrieved 2009-01-10.
- Sheffield, Megan (November 23, 2007). "The Wooden Sky reach for the top: Young stars of Toronto’s alt-country scene break hearts, change names", The Queen's Journal. Retrieved 2009-01-10.
- Harper, Kate (September 19, 2008). "Wooden Sky's year-end tour", Chart. Retrieved 2009-01-10.