The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-First Annual Collection
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (January 2011)|
|Author||Edited by Gardner Dozois|
|Series||The Year's Best Science Fiction|
|Genre||Science fiction anthology|
|Publisher||St. Martin's Griffin|
|Media type||Print (Hardcover and Paperback)|
|ISBN||ISBN 978-0-312-32478-0 (hardcover); ISBN 978-0-312-32479-7 (paperback)|
|Preceded by||The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twentieth Annual Collection|
|Followed by||The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Second Annual Collection|
The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-First Annual Collection (ISBN 978-0-312-32478-0) is a science fiction anthology edited by Gardner Dozois that was published in 2004. It is the 21st in The Year's Best Science Fiction series.
The book includes a 28-page summation by Dozois; 29 stories, all that first appeared in 2003, and each with a two-paragraph introduction by Dozois; and an eleven-page referenced list of honorable mentions for the year. The stories are as follows.
- William Barton: "Off On A Starship"
- John Kessel: "It's All True"
- Charles Stross: "Rogue Farm"
- Steven Popkes: "The Ice"
- Nancy Kress: "Ej-Es"
- John Varley: "The Bellman"
- Judith Moffett: "The Bear's Baby"
- Howard Waldrop: "Calling Your Name"
- Kristine Kathryn Rusch: "June Sixteenth at Anna's"
- Walter Jon Williams: "The Green Leapard Plague"
- Paolo Bacigalupi: "The Fluted Girl"
- Jack Skillingstead: "Dead Worlds"
- Michael Swanwick: "King Dragon"
- Paul Melko: "Singletons In Love"
- M. Shayne Bell: "Anomalous Structures Of My Dreams"
- Vernor Vinge: "The Cookie Monster"
- Harry Turtledove: "Joe Steele"
- Geoff Ryman: "Birth Days"
- John C. Wright: "Awake In the Night"
- James Van Pelt: "The Long Way Home"
- Geoffrey A. Landis: "The Eyes Of America"
- Kage Baker: "Welcome To Olympus, Mr. Hearst"
- Robert Reed: "Night Of Time"
- William Shunn: "Strong Medicine"
- Dominic Green: "Send Me a Mentagram"
- Paul Di Filippo: "And the Dish Ran Away With the Spoon"
- Terry Dowling: "Flashmen"
- Nick DiChario: "Dragonhead"
- Terry Bisson: "Dear Abbey"