Gates at the World Economic Forum Annual Meeting in 2013
|Born||August 28, 1973|
|Field||Installation art, Urbanism|
Theaster Gates (born 1973 Chicago) is an American Installation artist Social Practice artist. He lives and works in Chicago, Illinois. Gates' work has been shown at major museums and galleries internationally and deals with issues of urban planning, religious space, and craft. He is committed to the revitalization of poor neighborhoods through combining urban planning and art practices.
1996 Iowa State University, B.S. Urban Planning, Ceramics 1998 University of Cape Town, M.A. Fine Arts, Religious Studies 2006 Iowa State University, M.S. Urban Planning, Ceramics, Religious Studies. Thesis: Space, Memory and the Constant Pursuit of God: I Built This House
Gates has shown his work and performances internationally. He was participant at the dOCUMENTA (13) art show in Kassel, Germany. He was part of the 2010 Whitney Biennial in New York, the Milwaukee Art Museum in 2010, the 2010 Art Chicago fair, was included in "Hand+Made: The Performative Impulse in Art and Craft", at the Contemporary Arts Museum Houston, and in 2009 had a solo show at the Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago. Gates is represented by Kavi Gupta of Chicago and Berlin and White Cube, London. .
- "Theaster Gates". Theaster Gates. Retrieved 2012-02-17.
- Log in (2009-10-30). "Whitney Museum of American Art: Theaster Gates". Whitney.org. Retrieved 2012-02-17.
- By Rachel Wolff. "Theaster Gates Jr. shakes up his hometown art fair - Chicago magazine - May 2010 - Chicago". Chicagomag.com. Retrieved 2012-02-17.
- "At the Crossroads in St. Louis, April 12-14, 2012". Rustbelt to Artistbelt. 2010-04-15. Retrieved 2012-02-17.
- United States Artists Official Website
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Theaster Gates.|