- This article is about the former village of Theni, which is now part of the Theni Allinagaram municipality.
|Periyakulam from Kodaikanal.|
|• Total||2,889 km2 (1,115 sq mi)|
|Elevation||100 m (300 ft)|
|• Density||1.7/km2 (4.4/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||TN 60|
|Distance from Chennai||498 kilometres (309 mi) southwest|
|Climate||Average and moderate cool at winter (Köppen)|
|Precipitation||658 millimetres (25.9 in)|
|Avg. summer temperature||39.5 °C (103.1 °F)|
|Avg. winter temperature||25.8 °C (78.4 °F)|
Theni ( pronunciation (help·info)) is a town in the Western Tamil Nadu state of South India. It is the headquarters of Theni District. It is known for the large-scale trading of cardamom, grapes and chilli. It hosts the second largest weekly market in Tamil Nadu and the fourth largest in South India. It is well-connected by rail and road to Madurai and by road to all the important cities in Tamil Nadu. The nearest airport is at Madurai.
Theni district is surrounded by the Western Ghats. The main occupation of people of Theni is agriculture. The Vaigai River flows through this district. Other important rivers include the Mullaiperiyar, Suruliyaru, Varaganadi, Kottakkudiyaru, and Manjalaru rivers.
Suruliaruvi which is situated in Surulipatti of Theni district is a famous waterfall. Meghamalai, Vellimalai are hill stations with natural beauty and home for wild lives. Vaigai Dam and Shanmuganadhi Dam are the visitable water reservoirs of Theni District. Other tourist spots include Bodimettu, Kumbakkarai Falls, Veerapandi, Kumuli. Munnar, the famous hill station of South India is just 86 km away from Theni city.
The nearest railway junctions are Dindigul and Madurai which are 75 kilometers away from Theni.
- Temple of shri kaliamman koil at Gandamanur, Theni
- Our Lady of Snows Church (1902), Royappanpatti, Theni
- Temple of Shri Gowmariamman & Kanneswaramudaiyar Koil at Veerapandi, Theni
- Temple of Pragyna Dakshinamurthy at Chibavananda Ashram, Theni
- Temple of Sri Saneeswara Bhagavan at Kuchanur, Theni Saneeswara Temple
- Temple of Sri Veerappa Ayyanar at Allinagaram, Theni
- Temple of Sri Kaliyamman at Dharmapuri,Theni. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbqFAtRHLUc)
- Temple of Kathali Narashinga perumal at Jampuliputhur,Theni
- Government higher secondary school (1965),Gandamanur, Theni
- Savariyappa Udayar Memorial Higher Secondary School (1963), Royappanpatti, Theni
- Santiniketan Matriculation Higher Seconday School
- Theni Melapettai Hindu Nadar Uravinmurai Matriculation Hr. Sec. School (1977)
- Nadar Saraswathi Primary School (1919)
- Nadar Saraswathi Hr. Sec. School (Boys) (1943)
- Nadar Saraswathi Girls Hr. Sec. School (1957)
- Nadar Saraswathi Women’s Industrial School (1996)
- N.A. Konduraja memorial high school
- Velammal vidyalaya cbse school - Theni (CBSE)
- Velammal matriculation school, Theni
- Mary Matha Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Theni
- Theni Kammavar Sangam Matriculation Higher Secondary school, Theni
- The Little Kingdom (ICSE), Theni
- Palaniappa Memorial Higher Secondary School, Palanichettipatti, Theni
- Theni Melapettai Hindu Nadar Uravinmurai Matriculation Hr. Sec. School (1977) is a reputed institution in this area, right from the time of its beginning. This school has achieved state and district ranks in board exams and has won several awards and trophies in sports as well.
Colleges in Theni
Names of colleges In Theni
- College of Agricultural Technology, Theni (Kullapuram)
- Government college of Engineering,Bodinayakanur.
- Bharath Niketan engineering College
- Odiyappa College of Engineering and Technology
- Theni Kammavar Sangam College of Technology
- Polytechnic colleges in Theni
- Bharath Niketan Polytechnic College, Thimmarasanaickanoor, Theni
- Devangar Polytechnic College, D Vadipatti, Theni
- Government Polytechnic College, Kottur, Theni
- Kala Pandian Polytechnic College, Sillamarathupatti, Theni
- Thangam Muthu Polytechnic College, Endapuli Kamatchipuram, Theni
- Theni Kammavar Sangam Polytechnic College, Koduvilarpatti, Theni
- VPV College of Engineering, Periyakulam
- Nadar Saraswathi College of Engineering and Technology, Vadapudupatti,Theni
- Horticultural College and Research Institute, Periyakulam