Theo James at the Divergent film premiere in Westwood, CA on 18 March 2014
|Born||Theodore Peter James Kinnaird Taptiklis
16 December 1984
Oxford, Oxfordshire, England
|Alma mater||University of Nottingham
Bristol Old Vic Theatre School
Theodore Peter James Kinnaird Taptiklis (born 16 December 1984), better known as Theo James, is an English actor. He is known for portraying Jed Harper in Bedlam, Walter William Clark, Jr. in the crime drama Golden Boy and Tobias "Four" Eaton in the film adaptations of Veronica Roth's dystopian sci-fi novels, The Divergent Series.
Early life and education
James was born in Oxford, Oxfordshire, the son of Jane (née Martin) and Philip Taptiklis. His paternal grandfather was Greek (he moved from the Peloponnese to New Zealand). His other ancestry is English and Scottish. The youngest of five children, Theo has two brothers and two sisters. He attended Aylesbury Grammar School and went on to earn his undergraduate degree in philosophy from the University of Nottingham. He trained at the Bristol Old Vic Theatre School.
James made his television debut in A Passionate Woman, starring opposite Billie Piper. He played Turkish diplomat Kemal Pamuk in an episode of the first season of Downton Abbey. James starred in Bedlam, playing the lead role of Jed Harper. He appeared in the 2012 adaptation of John Braine's Room at the Top, as "Jack Wales".
His film credits include You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger and The Domino Effect. James was cast in Stranger while still in his final year at drama school. He played James, an obnoxious night club rep, in The Inbetweeners Movie. In 2011, James was chosen to play the character of David in the fourth installment of Underworld: Awakening, released in 2012, opposite Kate Beckinsale. In 2012 he appeared in ITV's Case Sensitive starring Olivia Williams and Darren Boyd. He was named a "Star of Tomorrow" in 2009 by Screen International.
James played the male lead, Tobias "Four" Eaton, in the film adaptation of Veronica Roth's best-selling book, Divergent (2014). James reprised the character in the sequel to Divergent, The Divergent Series: Insurgent, which began filming in May 2014 and was released in March 2015.
James will star alongside Amber Heard, Billy Bob Thornton and Jim Sturgess in the film adaptation of London Fields, and in the indie drama Franny, alongside Richard Gere and Dakota Fanning. He is slated to return in two more Divergent films, Allegiant parts 1 (scheduled for 2016) and 2 (scheduled for 2017). He is also scheduled to reprise his character David in the fifth Underworld film, this time as the film's lead.
Outside his acting career, James was the singer and guitarist of the London-based band Shere Khan. On 21 November 2012, the band announced on their Facebook page that they were no longer actively playing as a band and that members would be pursuing other musical endeavours.
James has been dating actress Ruth Kearney since 2009.
|2010||You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger||Ray|
|2011||The Inbetweeners Movie||James|
|2012||The Domino Effect||Dinner Party guest|
|2014||Divergent||Tobias "Four" Eaton|
|2015||The Divergent Series: Insurgent||Tobias "Four" Eaton|
|2015||London Fields||Guy Clinch||Post-production|
|2010||A Passionate Woman||Alex "Craze" Crazenovski|
|2010||Downton Abbey||Kemal Pamuk||1 episode|
|2011||Bedlam||Jed Harper||6 episodes|
|2012||Case Sensitive||Aidan Harper||2 episodes|
|2012||Room at the Top||Jack Wales||2 episodes|
|2013||Golden Boy||Walter William Clark, Jr.||Lead role|
Awards and nominations
|2014||Divergent||Teen Choice Award for Choice Movie Actor: Action||Won|
|2014||Divergent||Teen Choice Award for Choice Movie Breakout Star||Nominated|
|2014||Divergent||Young Hollywood Award for Fan Favourite Actor - Male||Nominated|
|2014||Divergent||Young Hollywood Award for Best On-Screen Couple with Shailene Woodley||Nominated|
|2015||Divergent||People's Choice Awards for Favorite Movie Duo with Shailene Woodley||Won|
- Births, Marriages & Deaths Index of England & Wales, 1916–2005. Ancestry.com
- Staff (23 April 2010). "New Theatre Graduates Star in Blockbuster TV Roles". University of Nottingham; retrieved 27 February 2013.
- Staff (23 January 2011). "Biog: Theo James". Sky Living. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- Young, Susan (9 September 2011). "James' 'Stranger' Role Leads to 'Bedlam' – TV's Top 10: New Faces for Fall – Theo James". Variety; retrieved 27 February 2013.
- Staff (25 January 2011). "Barbara Taptiklis Obituary" (preview). The Times; retrieved 27 February 2013.
- ""Εχω χάσει τον ύπνο μου για την Ελενη"" (in Greek). Espresso News. January 27, 2012.
- "Theo James leapt at chance to play tough New York cop in Golden Boy". The Star (Toronto).
- Topel, Fred (10 October 2011). "Theo James Talks Bedlam". CraveOnline. Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- Press release (7 April 2010). "Press Packs – A Passionate Woman: Theo James Plays Craze". BBC Press Office; retrieved 27 February 2013.
- Rozen, Leah (25 March 2014). "Round-up: ‘Divergent’s’ Theo James Recalls His Quickie ‘Downton’ Stint and other ‘Downton Abbey’ News". BBC America.
- Staff (22 December 2010). "Casting Unveiled on Room at the Top". Screen Yorkshire; retrieved 27 February 2013.
- Rose, Tiffany. "‘Divergent’ Interview: Theo James Talks Personal Fears & Complex Characters". Screen Rant. Retrieved 2 April 2014.
- Dobson, Patricia (6 July 2010). "Class of 2009: where are they now?". Screen International. Retrieved 9 March 2013.
- 'Divergent' has found its 'Four'! Theo James talks about starring in the next big YA franchise. Entertainment Weekly; retrieved 6 November 2013.
- Jacobs, Matthew (22 March 2014). "'Insurgent' Has Officially Been Given The Green Light For 2015, Not That You Had Any Doubts". Huffington Post. Retrieved 2 April 2014.
- ‘London Fields’ Gets Underway. Deadline. Retrieved 6 November 2013.
- Sneider, Jeff (25 September 2013). "‘Divergent’ Star Theo James, Dakota Fanning Join Richard Gere in ‘Franny’". The Wrap. Retrieved 2 April 2014.
- Dakota Fanning, Theo James Board Richard Gere's 'Franny'. Deadline; retrieved 6 November 2013.
- Herndon, Jessica (21 March 2014). "'Divergent' Star Theo James Is A Fresh Hollywood Flame Who Admires Paul Newman And Michael Fassbender". Huffington Post.
- Ford, Rebecca; Youn, Soo (2014-09-11). "'Divergent' Actor Theo James to Star in Fifth 'Underworld' Movie (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Deming, Mark (15 March 2013). "Theo James to Star in ‘Divergent’: Five Things to Know About Him". Yahoo. Retrieved 2 April 2014.
- Jones, Nate (26 March 2014). "Sexy Man Sing-Off! Divergent's Theo James & 8 More Actor-Crooners". People.
- Jenille Cristy Maido (11 April 2014). "Shailene Woodley and Theo James Dating; Real or For ‘Reel?’". International Business Times. Retrieved 17 July 2014.