Theo Randall, photographed in 2009
Theo Randall (born 1967) is a British-born professional chef who specialises in Italian cuisine. He is currently the proprietor of Theo Randall at the InterContinental Hotel, although he is perhaps best known for being awarded a Michelin star at The River Café in London.
Randall's restaurant career began at Chez Max in Surbiton, London, where he trained in classical cooking for four years. He joined the team at The River Café in 1989. After a year he moved to California to work at Chez Panisse under chef Alice Waters for 12 months. He then returned to the UK where he spent fifteen years, ten of which were as Head Chef and silent partner back at The River Café where he gained his first Michelin star. Randall has been called the "unsung hero" of the restaurant, and has been credited with creating The River Café's signature dishes and making it an establishment that "changed Britain’s restaurant culture for good".
He left The River Café to set up his own restaurant when a space became available at the InterContinental London. Theo Randall at the InterContinental London opened in February 2007 as part of a £60 million refurbishment of the hotel. In an interview he stated that he felt the need to prove to himself that he could do it. The new venture went on to be named "Italian Restaurant of the Year" at the London Restaurant Awards after it had been open for two years.
He has collaborated with Pizza Express, and created four pizzas for their autumn 2008 menu. It was the first time that the chain had collaborated with a celebrity chef. Randall has also attended food festivals, including Taste of London held in Regent's Park, and has been involved in the London Restaurant Festival. On television, he has frequently appeared on BBC One's Saturday Kitchen.
In 2013 he appeared as one of the mentors in the series The Chef's Protege
- Pasta (2010)
- "Theo Randall At The Intercontinental London Opens". Hotel Interactive. 27 February 2007. Retrieved 2 April 2012.
- "Theo Randall". UKTV Food. Retrieved 2 April 2012.
- Rayner, Jay (3 December 2006). "Theo Randall at The Intercontinental". The Guardian. Retrieved 2 April 2012.
- Maschler, Fay (22 November 2006). "An Unsung Hero". Evening Standard. Retrieved 2 April 2012.
- "Q&As with Theo Randall". Delicious Magazine. Retrieved 2 April 2012.
- "Theo Randall Joins Forces With Pizza Express". Eat Out. 29 September 2008. Retrieved 2 April 2012.
- "Celebrity chefs line up for Taste of London". Evening Standard. 15 March 2012. Retrieved 2 April 2012.
- Clay, Xanthe (30 September 2009). "The London Restaurant Festival: whistle-stop tour of London's gastro hot spots". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 3 April 2012.
- Cain, Rebecca (26 July 2011). "Saturday Kitchen star will be at Eden's food festival in High Wycombe". Bucks Free Press. Retrieved 3 April 2012.
- Arnot, Chris (10 January 2007). "My Home: How chef Theo Randall transformed his Victorian terrace". The Independent. Retrieved 3 April 2012.