Theodore D. Chuang
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Maryland|
May 2, 2014
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Roger Titus|
|Born||1969 (age 44–45)
Media, Pennsylvania, U.S.
|Alma mater||Harvard University|
Theodore David Chuang (born 1969) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Maryland and former Deputy General Counsel of the United States Department of Homeland Security.
Chuang received a Bachelor of Arts degree, summa cum laude, in 1991, from Harvard University. He received his Juris Doctor, magna cum laude, in 1994, from Harvard Law School, where he was an Editor of the Harvard Law Review. He began his legal career as a law clerk for Judge Dorothy W. Nelson of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, from 1994 to 1995. From 1995 to 1998, he served as a trial attorney in the Civil Rights Division of the United States Department of Justice. From 1998 to 2004, he served as an Assistant United States Attorney in the District of Massachusetts. He served as counsel at the law firm of Wilmer, Culter, Pickering, Hale and Dorr LLP, from 2004 to 2007. From 2007 to 2009, he was Deputy Chief Investigative Counsel for the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee. In 2009, he was Chief Investigative Counsel for the House Committee on Energy and Commerce. From 2009 till his confirmation as a federal judge in 2014, he has served in the General Counsel's Office of the United States Department of Homeland Security.
Federal judicial service
On September 25, 2013, President Barack Obama nominated Chuang to serve as a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Maryland, to the seat being vacated by Judge Roger W. Titus, who took senior status on January 17, 2014. On January 16, 2014, his nomination was reported out of committee.
- "President Obama Nominates Two to Serve on the United States District Courts" White House September 25, 2013
- "President Obama Nominates Two to Serve on the United States District Courts". whitehouse.gov. Office of the Press Secretary. Retrieved 25 September 2013.
- "Executive Business Meeting". United States Senate. Committee on the Judiciary. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- "U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 113th Congress - 2nd Session". Vote Summary: Vote Number 127. United States Senate.
- "Biographical Directory of Federal Judges". Federal Judicial Center. Retrieved 2 May 2014.
- Theodore David Chuang at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Maryland