Theodore J. St. Antoine
Theodore J. St. Antoine is an American lawyer and legal scholar. He has served on the faculty of the University of Michigan Law School since 1965 and is currently the James E. and Sarah A. Degan Professor Emeritus of Law at the school. St. Antoine served as dean of the Law School from 1971 to 1978.
St. Antoine graduated from Fordham College and the University of Michigan Law School. He also spent a year at the University of London as a Fulbright Scholar. He began practicing law in Cleveland and served a tour in the Army JAG Corps before practicing in labor law in Washington, D.C..
St. Antoine is known for his writing in the field of labor relations and labor law. He is active in labor arbitration of union and management disputes, acting as arbitrator in dozens of Major League Baseball arbitration matters, the parties of which have included the league and individual teams, agents, and players, including Curt Schilling, Sandy Alomar, Jr., and Darryl Strawberry. St. Antoine served as President of the National Academy of Arbitrators in 1999-2000. St. Antoine was the official draftsperson for the Model Employment Termination Act (META). He also authored a defense of that act, The Model Employment Termination Act: A Fair Compromise published in the Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science in 1994.
St. Antoine has taught as a visiting faculty member at Cambridge, Duke, George Washington, and Tokyo University, and in Salzburg. In the past few years he has spent a great deal of time teaching labor relations and arbitration in Chinese universities, and speaking about developing labor law in China.
He edited the first and second editions of The Common Law of the Workplace: The Views of Arbitrators. He serves on the internal board of review of the United Automobile Workers, a UAW-constitutional agency that provides redress for aggrieved union members.
- Crain, Marion G.; St Antoine, Theodore J.; Craver, Charles B. (2005). Labor relations law: cases and materials. Newark, NJ: LexisNexis. ISBN 0-8205-6335-8.
- St. Antoine, Theodore J. (2013). "Mandatory Arbitration: Bane or Boon?". FindLaw, a Thomson Reuters business. Retrieved January 6, 2013.
- St. Antoine, Theodore J. (June 1, 2002). "Justice Frank Murphy and American labor law". Michigan Law Review. 100 MLR: 1900. Retrieved January 6, 2013.
- St. Antoine, Theodore J., editor (2005). The Common Law of the Workplace: The Views of Arbitrators (2nd ed.). Washington, D.C.: Bureau of National Affairs. ISBN 1-57018-540-9.
- St. Antoine, Theodore J. (November 1994). "Model Employment Termination Act: A Fair Compromise". Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science (American Academy of Political and Social Science) 593: 93. Retrieved January 6, 2013.
- "Theodore J. St. Antoine". University of Michigan Law School. Retrieved January 6, 2013.
- Reuther, Walter P. (January 1964). "The United Automobile Workers: Past, Present, and Future". Virginia Law Review 50 (1): 58–103. doi:10.2307/1071169.
|This American law-related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|