Theodore Wilbur Anderson
|Theodore Wilbur Anderson|
T. W. Anderson in 1974
5 June 1918|
|Institutions||Columbia University, Stanford University|
|Known for||Anderson–Darling test, Anderson–Bahadur algorithm|
Theodore (Ted) Wilbur Anderson (born June 5, 1918) is an American mathematician and statistician who has specialized in the analysis of multivariate data. Born in Minneapolis, Minnesota, he was awarded a Guggenheim Fellowship in 1946. He was on the faculty of Columbia University from 1946 until moving to Stanford University in 1967, becoming Emeritus Professor in 1988. He served as Editor of Annals of Mathematical Statistics from 1950 to 1952. He was elected President of the Institute of Mathematical Statistics in 1962. He was elected a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 1974.
Anderson's 1958 textbook, An Introduction to Multivariate Analysis, educated a generation of theorists and applied statisticians; Anderson's book emphasizes hypothesis testing via likelihood ratio tests and the properties of power functions: Admissibility, unbiasedness and monotonicity.
Anderson is also known for Anderson–Darling test of whether there is evidence that a given sample of data did not arise from a given probability distribution.
He also framed the Anderson–Bahadur algorithm along with Raghu Raj Bahadur which is used in statistics and engineering for solving binary classification problems when the underlying data have multivariate normal distributions with different covariance matrices.
- "Search Results: Theodore Anderson". John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation. Retrieved 18 April 2011.
- "Book of Members, 1780-2010: Chapter A". American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 18 April 2011.
- Täonu Kollo; Dietrich von Rosen (1 January 2005). Advanced Multivariate Statistics with Matrices. Springer. pp. 13–. ISBN 978-1-4020-3419-0. Retrieved 17 June 2013.
- Sen, Pranab Kumar; Anderson, T. W.; Arnold, S. F.; Eaton, M. L.; Giri, N. C.; Gnanadesikan, R.; Kendall, M. G.; Kshirsagar, A. M. et al. (June 1986). "Review: Contemporary Textbooks on Multivariate Statistical Analysis: A Panoramic Appraisal and Critique". Journal of the American Statistical Association 81 (394): 560–564. doi:10.2307/2289251. ISSN 0162-1459. JSTOR 2289251.(Pages 560–561)
- Schervish, Mark J. (November 1987). "A Review of Multivariate Analysis". Statistical Science 2 (4): 396–413. doi:10.1214/ss/1177013111. ISSN 0883-4237. JSTOR 2245530.
- Classification into two multivariate normal distributions with different covariance matrices (1962), T W Anderson, R R Bahadur, Annals of Mathematical Statistics
- "Gruppe 8: Samfunnsfag (herunder sosiologi, statsvitenskap og økonomi)" (in Norwegian). Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters. Retrieved 9 January 2011.
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Theodore Wilbur Anderson|
|This article about a statistician from the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|