June 10, 1966
Hicksville, New York
|Known for||Claimed mediumship|
|Spouse(s)||Larry Caputo (m. 1990)|
|Parent(s)||Nicholas J. Brigandi|
Caputo's claim of being a medium has been publicly challenged by multiple sources, ranging from television news programs like Inside Edition, to print publications such as Wired Magazine, where James Randi stated "Caputo does what’s known in my trade as 'cold reading'. The very best practitioners can pick up enough information in what seems like innocent, idle conversation to convince you that they know very specific things about you. The scientific phenomenon is called the Forer effect — giving credence to vague observations that seem personal. [...] Mediums cannot show they do anything more than cold reading nor that what the TV audience sees is just selectively edited to show 'hits' and ignore the 'misses.'" Caputo was described by D. J. Grothe as a charlatan, and James Randi said that her claims were not true.
In 2014, investigator Ron Tebo publicly accused Caputo of fraud. According to Tebo, Caputo engages in several forms of deception, including sending staff members to interview audience members in advance in order to be able to pretend that she acquires knowledge from communicating with the deceased.
- "Theresa Caputo’s Marriage Facing ‘Bumps In The Road,’ Reveals Father". Radar Online. Retrieved January 12, 2015.
- "The Long Island Medium – Can she really communicate with the dead?". Inside Edition. 2012-11-08. Retrieved 2013-03-21.
- Stewart, Dodai (2012-10-20). "Super sad and misguided Emails intended for the Long Island Medium". Jezebel (Gawker Media). Retrieved 2013-03-21.
- Randi, James (2012-04-09). "The 'Medium' is not the messenger". Wired Magazine. Retrieved 2013-05-19.
- Grothe, DJ. "Priceline.com: Will you prove your spokesperson worthy for a million dollars?". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 2012-08-15.
- "2012 Pigasus Awards Announcement" (YouTube video). James Randi Educational Foundation. March 30, 2012. Retrieved March 27, 2014.
- "Is The Long Island Medium A Phony? Reality Star Theresa Caputo Subject Of Fraud Investigation, Audience Complaints: ‘After Tonight, I Am No Longer A Believer!’ Rages One Grieving Mom". Radar Online. June 4, 2014. Retrieved October 12, 2014.
- Fenwick Elliott, Annabel. "'She’s a vulture preying on the most vulnerable': Long Island Medium Theresa Caputo is branded a ‘fake’ by private investigator". Daily Mail. Retrieved October 12, 2014.
- Cavazini, Katherine (June 9, 2014). "Skeptic: ‘Long Island Medium’ a phony!". CNN. Retrieved October 12, 2014.
- Schumann, Redecka (June 6, 2014). "Is Theresa Caputo A Fake? ‘Long Island Medium’ Star Bashed By Investigator". International Business Times. Retrieved October 12, 2014.