Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Charlie Stratton|
|Produced by||Mickey Liddell
|Screenplay by||Charlie Stratton|
|Based on||Thérèse Raquin
by Émile Zola
|Music by||Gabriel Yared|
|Edited by||Celia Haining
Exclusive Media Group
|Distributed by||Roadside Attractions|
|Running time||106 minutes|
In Secret, previously titled Thérèse, is a 2013 American erotic thriller film written and directed by Charlie Stratton. Based on Émile Zola's 1867 classic novel Thérèse Raquin, the film stars Elizabeth Olsen, Tom Felton, Oscar Isaac and Jessica Lange. It was screened in the Special Presentation section at the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival. The film received a regional release on February 21, 2014.
Set in the lower echelons of 1860s Paris, Thérèse Raquin is a sexually repressed beautiful young woman trapped into a loveless marriage to her sickly cousin, Camille, and forced into it by her domineering aunt, Madame Raquin. Thérèse spends her days confined behind the counter of a small shop and her evenings watching Madame play dominoes with an eclectic group. After she meets her husband's alluring friend, Laurent LeClaire, she embarks on an illicit affair that leads to tragic consequences.
- Elizabeth Olsen as Thérèse Raquin, Camille's wife and first cousin.
- Lily Laight as young Thérèse
- Tom Felton as Camille Raquin
- Dimitrije Bogdanov as young Camille
- Oscar Isaac as Laurent LeClaire, a childhood friend and co-worker of Camille who seduces his wife, Thérèse.
- Jessica Lange as Madame Raquin, Camille's mother and Thérèse's aunt.
- Matt Lucas as Olivier
- Shirley Henderson as Suzanne
- Mackenzie Crook as Grivet
- John Kavanagh as Inspector Michaud
Kate Winslet was attached for a long time to star in the lead role of Thérèse Raquin. Jessica Biel then replaced her, with Gerard Butler as Laurent. In fall 2011, Elizabeth Olsen was announced as a replacement in the lead role. Glenn Close was originally cast as Madame Raquin, but dropped out and was replaced by Jessica Lange.
In Secret received mixed reviews. On review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds a 47% rating, with an average score of 5.5/10, based on reviews from 64 critics. The consensus states: "Although it benefits from a strong cast, In Secret 's stars can't totally compensate for the movie's sodden pacing and overly familiar story."
Despite mixed reviews, Lange's performance has been critically praised. Avi Offer from NYC Movie Guru proclaims Lange as "...one of the greatest actresses of our time, delivers a mesmerizing, magnificent performance and sinks her teeth into her role quite smoothly..." David Lee Dallas from Slant Magazine describes Lange's character "latent severity dangerous and surprising." Michael O'Sullivan from the Washington Post points out "Subtlety may not be this film’s strong suit, but it certainly is Lange's." Dustin Putman notes Lange is "...more achingly vulnerable than the figures she usually plays." Jessica Herdon from The Associated Press adds that Lange "...going from agonized to helpless, so poignantly that your heart breaks for her." Joshua Rothkopf from Time Out New York writes "...Jessica Lange, as rare as a unicorn these days, seizes on the role of a grieving mother with two taloned hands. If there are any tremors of shame to be felt here, they emanate from her."
- "IN SECRET (15)". Columbia Pictures. British Board of Film Classification. March 19, 2014. Retrieved March 19, 2014.
- "In Secret (2014) - International Box Office Results". Box Office Mojo. Internet Movie Database. Retrieved October 17, 2014.
- [dead link]
- "Therese". TIFF. Retrieved 2013-08-15.
- "Toronto Adds 75+ Titles To 2013 Edition". Indiewire. Retrieved 2013-08-15.
- Sullivan, Kevin P. (9 February 2012). "Tom Felton Cast In Ghostly Romance 'Therese Raquin'". MTV News. Retrieved 15 October 2012.
- "Therese Raquin (2012)". IMDb. Retrieved 15 October 2012.
- "Therese Begins Filming in Hungary with Elizabeth Olsen". movieweb.com. 9 May 2012. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- In Secret at Rotten Tomatoes
- Official website
- In Secret at the Internet Movie Database
- In Secret at Box Office Mojo
- In Secret at Rotten Tomatoes
- In Secret at Metacritic