These Are My Twisted Words
|"These Are My Twisted Words"|
|Single by Radiohead|
|Released||17 August 2009|
|Genre||Alternative rock, experimental rock|
|Radiohead singles chronology|
"These Are My Twisted Words" is a song by the English alternative rock band Radiohead. It was leaked on 12 August 2009, possibly by the band, and officially released on 17 August as a free download from the Radiohead website.
"These Are My Twisted Words" opens with an "ominious" krautrock-style build-up" with a "featherweight" motorik beat from drummer Phil Selway before Thom Yorke's vocal enters. Daniel Kreps of Rolling Stone also noted the krautrock influence, likening the song to the In Rainbows track "Weird Fishes/Arpeggi." Matthew Schnipper of The Fader described it as a "simple song" with "a plodding, stubborn forward spirit".
On 12 August 2009, the song was leaked via BitTorrent. A text file included in the torrent file contained ASCII art, a cryptic poem and a reference to a release date of 17 August. Commentators including The Guardian and Rolling Stone speculated that Radiohead leaked the song themselves following the unconventional self-release of their album In Rainbows (2007).
On 17 August, guitarist Jonny Greenwood announced on Radiohead's blog that "These Are My Twisted Words" was available as a free download from the Radiohead site or a torrent hosted by Mininova. The download included artwork by Stanley Donwood and Yorke to be printed on tracing paper and put "in an order that pleases you."
Brian Parks of PopMatters gave "These Are My Twisted Words" seven out of ten, describing it as "the most recent in a long line of unconventionally beautiful songs for which Radiohead is renowned." However, Ryan Dombal of Pitchfork Media found its "nauseous guitars" and "vaguely whiny lyrics almost read as parody" and concluded that the song "isn't as enticing as its method of distribution".
- Brian Parks (24 August 2009). "Radiohead - "These Are My Twisted Words" (stream)". PopMatters. Retrieved 23 May 2014.
- Matthew Schnipper (17 August 2009). "Radiohead, “These Are My Twisted Words” MP3". The Fader. Retrieved 23 May 2014.
- Ryan Dombal (24 August 2009). "Radiohead - "These Are My Twisted Words"". Pitchfork. Retrieved 23 May 2014.
- Daniel Kreps (13 August 2009). "New Radiohead Song "These Are My Twisted Words" Leaks". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 21 August 2013.
- Sean Michaels (14 August 2009). "Was the new Radiohead song leaked by the band?". guardian.co.uk. Retrieved 21 August 2009.
- Harrison Hoffman (13 August 2009). "Did Radiohead just leak the first song from their new EP?". CNET. Retrieved 21 August 2009.
- Jonny Greenwood (17 August 2009). "These Are My Twisted Words". Dead Air Space (radiohead.com). Retrieved 21 August 2009.