Thetford Academy, Vermont
The co-educational school was founded in February 1819 by local citizens and was granted a charter by the legislature in October of the that same year. The school burned in 1942 and was rebuilt on its present site. Currently, the school remains independent although area students are sent to the school in lieu of a local public school.
Thetford Academy boasts a successful VEX robotics program, which is the first VRC program in Vermont. Team 4886 has helped start up to 5 other VRC teams in Vermont so far this season alone.
- 2012-2013 Thetford has had a successful start to the Sack Attack season, with 4886A winning five events in New England including the New England Championship. 4886A also received the Excellence Award, qualifying for the World Championship for the third year in a row.
- 2010-2011: Team 4886A was started in 2011 for the game Round Up, and qualified for the World Championship in Orlando, Florida. The team placed 4th in a division of 101 teams.
- 2011-2012: For the Gateway season, 4886A was joined by 4886B, 4886C, and 4886D. Both A and B teams qualified for the World Championship in Anaheim, California.
- Thomas W. Bicknell, historian, educator
- William E. Chandler, U.S. Senator, Secretary of Navy
- William Closson, artist
- Hannah Slade Currier, educator
- John Eaton, Civil War leader
- Mary Greenleaf Clement Leavitt, temperance movement missionary
- Justin Smith Morrill, U.S. Senator
- George W. Morrison, U.S. Representative
- John B. Sanborn, lawyer, politician, Civil War general, and negotiator of treaties with Plains tribes
- School History from website (accessed August 18, 2009)
|This Vermont school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|