They Only Come Out at Night
|They Only Come Out at Night|
|Studio album by The Edgar Winter Group|
|Recorded||August - September 1972|
|The Edgar Winter Group chronology|
They Only Come Out at Night is the third studio album by The Edgar Winter Group. It went to No. 3 on the Billboard Pop Albums chart, eventually sold two million copies, and features two of the band's biggest hits, "Frankenstein" (#1 Pop Singles) and "Free Ride" (#14 Pop Singles).
In 2006, the album was reissued on Super Audio CD by Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab as well as the 2008 Quadraphonic rendition was reissued by SBME Sony BMG (Bertelsmann Music Group) Music Entertainment.
Writer Stephen King mentioned the album in his 1975 novel 'Salem's Lot.
The Australian cassette issue of the album in 1973 transposes "Undercover Man" and "Frankenstein" (i.e. Frankenstein ends side A instead of side B) and has a wholly different cover: a photo of the band posing against a black background.
LP Track listing
- "Hangin' Around" (Edgar Winter, Dan Hartman) – 3:02
- "When It Comes" (Winter, Hartman) – 3:16
- "Alta Mira" (Winter, Hartman) – 3:18
- "Free Ride" (Hartman) – 3:08
- "Undercover Man" (Winter, Hartman) – 3:49
- "Round & Round" (Winter) – 4:00
- "Rock 'n' Roll Boogie Woogie Blues" (Winter, Barbara Winter, Ronnie Montrose) – 3:25
- "Autumn" (Hartman) – 3:00
- "We All Had a Real Good Time" (Winter, Hartman) – 3:05
- "Frankenstein" (Winter) – 4:44
- Johnny Badanjek - drums
- Rick Derringer - producer, bass, guitar, pedal steel, vocals, claves
- Dan Hartman - guitar, bass, percussion, maracas, ukulele, vocals
- Randy Jo Hobbs - bass
- Ronnie Montrose - guitar, mandolin
- Steve Paul - organic director
- Chuck Ruff - conga, drums, vocals
- Bill Szymczyk - technical director
- Edgar Winter - organ, synthesizer, ARP 2600, piano, marimba, saxophone, timbales, vocals, clavinet, liner notes