Thiagarajar College of Engineering
|Thiagarajar College of Engineering|
|Motto||Vinaiye Uyir - Duty is Life|
|Principal||Dr. V. Abhai Kumar|
|Location||Madurai, Tamil Nadu, India|
|Campus||Suburban, 143 acres|
|Affiliations||Anna University, Chennai|
Thiagarajar College of Engineering (TCE) is an autonomous institution located in Madurai, Tamil Nadu, India. It is affiliated to Anna University, Chennai. It is one of several educational and philanthropic institutions founded by philanthropist and industrialist Karumuttu Thiagarajan Chettiar. TCE was established in 1957. The courses offered in TCE are approved by the All India Council for Technical Education, New Delhi. TCE was granted Autonomy in the year 1987. The institution offers the Master's in Industrial Engineering among others.
The institution and hostels are located near Thirupparankundram on the outskirts of Madurai, 8 kilometres south-west of the city of Madurai.
The campus is located 10 km from the Madurai Airport, 8 km from the Madurai Railway station and is well connected by buses with all parts of state.
TCE offers undergraduate, postgraduate programs and research programs (MS and PhD) under both Engineering and Science streams.
Undergraduate degree programs:
- B.E. - Computer Science & Engineering
- B.E. - Civil Engineering
- B.E. - Mechanical Engineering
- B.E. - Electrical & Electronics Engineering
- B.E. - Electronics & Communication Engineering
- B.Tech. - Information Technology
- B. Arch.
- B.E. - Mechatronics
Postgraduate degree programs
- Master of Computer Applications (MCA)
- M.E. - Structural Engineering
- M.E. - Power System Engineering
- M.E. - Communication System
- M.E. - Production Engineering
- M.E. - Industrial Engineering
- M.E. - Computer Science and Engineering
- M.E. - Wireless Technologies
- M.Tech. - Environmental Engineering
- M.Tech. - Control and Instrumentation Engineering
- M.Sc. - Applied Mathematics
- M.Sc. - Applied Chemistry
- M.Sc. - Material Science
Undergraduate admissions are primarily through the Tamil Nadu Engineering Admissions (TNEA) process of Anna University.
For PG courses TANCET/GATE score is required
Quality Development activities
One of the participating institute in Quality Enhancement in Engineering Education (QEEE) program of MHRD,GoI
one of the Selected institute in Technical Education Quality Improvement Program (TEQIP) phase 2
- Resource Center For Spoken Tutorial Project - IIT Bombay
- European Technology Experience Center (ETEC)
- Test Center for Global Certifications
A central library with around 80000 books, 130 journals and over 1500 e-journals. Two banks (ICICI , City Union Bank), post office , food court, canteen and a stationery shop is in campus.Accommodation facility (Hostel) for both Men and Women within Campus.Internet ( 64 Mbps line)is available throughout college and Hostel premises using WiFi and a dedicated central computer center for internet access.
Obtained 3 patents in communication engineering and filed for 6 more patents
- Sustainable Institute Industry Partnership Award-2014 presented in National Conference at IIT, Madras
- 43rd rank in "Best Research Engineering Institutes" in India by Career360 Magazine, 2014
- 20th rank in All India Technical School Survey by Data Quest 2013-14
- "Performance Excellence Trophy" in IMC Ramakrishna Bajaj National Quality Awards-2013
- 12th rank in India's Top Private Institutes Survey by Acumen Media Network-2013
- 9th rank in AICTE-CII Survey of Industry Linked Institutes-2012
7.Department of Computer Science Bags "Best Student Branch Award" by Computer Society of India 2009-10
Accredited by National Board of Accreditation NBA
- The institute provided space for setting up the first MNC in Madurai, Honeywell technology solutions lab. The 2 facilities have also set up an incubation centre.
- One incubated company,Thiagarajar Telekom Solutions Limited (TTSL)working on Wireless Design situated in Campus
- The institute is funded by TIFAC-CORE as a center of excellence for wireless technologies in India.
- Has set up an anechoic chamber for antenna testing and characterisation, which is available only in a few places in India, such as in IIT Delhi.
- Celebrating Software Freedom Day (FStivel) every year.
- In July 2009, the institute signed an agreement with Yahoo's research division to do collaborative research for three years in cloud computing. This is the first time Yahoo has set up a long term collaboration in India.
- It has good placement records.(i.e.) The companies like Brahmos, National instruments, Texas instruments, Amazon, Microsoft,Zoho, Thoughtworks ,TVS Motors, Ford,Hyundai etc. hire students from this college every year.
- Many students opted for higher education in institutions in India and abroad.
Co curricular activities
- Society of Automotive Engineers - SAE
- Indian Society for Technical Education - ISTE
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers - IEEE
- Institute of Engineers - IE
- Aero Club (Faith In Flying)
- Robotics Club
- Micro-Satellite Club
- Software development
- GNU Linux User Group of TCE (GLUGOT)
- Literary club
- Green energy club
- Personality development
- Business English Certification(BEC) Club
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship Development Cell - IEDC
- Quality circle
Extra curricular activities
- Cultural Association
Open source projects
TOSS (TCE Operating System Services) is an Ubuntu-based Linux distribution and as claimed by the developer TOSS was developed targeting the student developer’s community. It offers build-essential, OpenSSL, PHP, Java, gEda, xCircuit, KLogic, KTechlab and a variety of essential engineering software for engineering students and developers. TOSS has reached version 2.0 with major updates.
- Sivathanu pillai , a padma bhusan recipient, father of BRAHMOS
- Karthik Subbaraj, Kollywood director
- Meerah Rajavel- Senior Director, McAfee Inc. (Silcon Valley's Women of influence-2014 )
- Dr. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam Speaks about Plastic Road Technology developed by TCE
- Golden Jubilee Celebrations at TCE
- HONEYWELL - NOBEL LAUREATE LECTURE SERIES TO BE HELD AT THIAGARAJAR COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING
- "Honeywell, TCE tie up for incubation unit". Hindu Business Line. Retrieved 2009-08-04.
- "Honeywell to execute its "critical projects" from Madurai centre". Chennai, India: The Hindu. 2007-08-25. Retrieved 2009-08-04.
- "College signs MoU with Yahoo!India". Chennai, India: The Hindu. 2009-08-02. Retrieved 2009-08-04.
- Influence Women
- Alumni of TCE- Meerah Rajavel
- Students come up with unique research ideas (through Quality Circle) in Madurai: http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Madurai/students-come-up-with-unique-research-ideas-in-madurai/article6574062.ece
- Compiled details in MHRD ministry database: http://www.knowyourcollege-gov.in/instituteDetails.php?insti_id=1-429823423