Thiagarajar College of Engineering
|Thiagarajar College of Engineering|
|Motto||Vinaiye Uyir - Duty is Life|
|Principal||Dr. V. Abhai Kumar|
|Location||Madurai, Tamil Nadu, India|
|Campus||Suburban, 143 acres|
|Affiliations||Anna University, Chennai|
Thiagarajar College of Engineering (TCE) is an Autonomous institution located in Madurai, Tamil Nadu, India. It is affiliated to Anna University, Chennai. It is one of several educational and philanthropic institutions founded by Philanthropist and Industrialist Late. Shri. Karumuttu Thiagarajan Chettiar. TCE was established in the year 1957. The courses offered in TCE are approved by the All India Council for Technical Education, New Delhi. TCE was granted Autonomy in the year 1987. The institution offers the Masters in Industrial Engineering among others.
The institution and hostels are located near Thiruparankundram on the outskirts of Madurai, 8 kilometres south-west of the city of Madurai.
TCE offers undergraduate and postgraduate programs under both Engineering and Science streams.
Undergraduate degree programs
- B.E. - Mechatronics
- B.E. - Computer Science & Engineering
- B.E. - Civil Engineering
- B.E. - Mechanical Engineering
- B.E. - Electrical & Electronics Engineering
- B.E. - Electronics & Communication Engineering
- B.Tech. - Information Technology
- B. Arch.
Postgraduate degree programs
- Master of Computer Applications (MCA)
- M.E. - Structural Engineering
- M.E. - Power System Engineering
- M.E. - Communication System
- M.E. - Production Engineering
- M.E. - Industrial Engineering
- M.E. - Computer Science and Engineering
- M.E. - Wireless Technologies
- M.Tech. - Environmental Engineering
- M.Tech. - Control and Instrumentation Engineering
- M.Sc. - Applied Mathematics
- M.Sc. - Applied Chemistry
- M.Sc. - Material Science
Admissions are primarily through the Tamil Nadu Engineering Admissions (TNEA) process of Anna University.Admission can also be made with help of influencial persons by paying them money like ministers
Visits by eminent personalities
- The institute provided space for setting up the first MNC in Madurai, Honeywell technology solutions lab. The 2 facilities have also set up an incubation centre.
- The institute is funded by TIFAC-CORE as a center of excellence for wireless technologies in India.
- Has set up an anechoic chamber for antenna testing and characterisation, which is available only in a few places in India, such as in IIT Delhi.
- In July 2009, the institute signed an agreement with Yahoo's research division to do collaborative research for three years in cloud computing. This is the first time Yahoo has set up a long term collaboration in India.
- Thiagarajar College of Engineering was ranked 34th in "India's Top 50 Engineering Colleges 2011" ranking by Careers 360 Magazine (June 2011 Special Issue) among various IITs and NITs.
- In November 2010, IT major Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) recruited 618 students from various UG and PG programmes, which is a record placement in Engineering Colleges in South Tamil Nadu by a single company.
- In August 2011, Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) recruited 702 students, breaking its record placement in the previous year.
- It also has prestigious placement records.(i.e.) The companies like, Brahmos, National instruments, Texas instruments, Amazon, Microsoft etc. hire students from this college every year.
- Society of Automotive Engineers - SAE
- Institute of Engineers - IE
- Aero Club (Faith In Flying)
- Indian Society for Technical Education - ISTE
- Robotics Club
- Micro-Satellite Club
- Software development
- Personality development
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers - IEEE
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship Development Cell - IEDC
- GNU Linux User Group of TCE (GLUGOT)
- Literary club
- Green energy club
Open source projects
TOSS (TCE Operating System Services) is an Ubuntu-based Linux distribution and as claimed by the developer TOSS was developed targeting the student developer’s community. It offers build-essential, OpenSSL, PHP, Java, gEda, xCircuit, KLogic, KTechlab and a variety of essential engineering software for engineering students and developers. Currently, TOSS has reached version 2.0 with major updates.
- Dr. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam Speaks about Plastic Road Technology developed by TCE
- Golden Jubilee Celebrations at TCE
- HONEYWELL - NOBEL LAUREATE LECTURE SERIES TO BE HELD AT THIAGARAJAR COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING
- "Honeywell, TCE tie up for incubation unit". Hindu Business Line. Retrieved 2009-08-04.
- "Honeywell to execute its "critical projects" from Madurai centre". Chennai, India: The Hindu. 2007-08-25. Retrieved 2009-08-04.
- "College signs MoU with Yahoo!India". Chennai, India: The Hindu. 2009-08-02. Retrieved 2009-08-04.
- "India's Top 50 Engineering Colleges 2011". Madurai, India: Careers 360. 2011-06-03. Retrieved 2011-06-03.
- "TCS recruits a record number of students from TCE". Madurai, India: The Hindu. 2010-11-05. Retrieved 2010-11-05.
- "Record campus placement at TCE". Madurai, India: Business Line:The Hindu. 2011-08-21. Retrieved 2011-08-21.