Courtois in 2011
|Full name||Thibaut Nicolas Marc Courtois|
|Date of birth||11 May 1992|
|Place of birth||Bree, Belgium|
|Height||1.99 m (6 ft 6 in)|
|Current club||Atlético Madrid|
|2011–||→ Atlético Madrid (loan)||86||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 14:30, 29 September 2013 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Thibaut Nicolas Marc Courtois (French pronunciation: [tibo cuʁtwa]; born 11 May 1992) is a Belgian footballer who plays as a goalkeeper for Atlético Madrid, on loan from Chelsea and the Belgium national team. He is regarded to be one of the best young goalkeepers in the world.
Born in Bree, Courtois began his career with local side Bilzen V.V., where he started his career as a left back. Soon after, in 1999, he joined Racing Genk at the age of seven, and it was there that he was converted into a goalkeeper.
After progressing through the Genk youth system, Courtois, aged 16 years and 341 days, made his first team debut for Genk on 17 April 2009 against Gent. He was a key figure in Genk's title victory in the 2010–11 season in the Belgian Pro League. He received the Goalkeeper of the Year and Genk's Player of the Year award, only conceding 32 goals over the course of 40 league matches and keeping 14 clean sheets for Genk.
Loans to Atlético Madrid
Within weeks of joining Chelsea, Courtois was sent on a season-long loan to La Liga club Atlético Madrid. He made his debut for Atlético in a UEFA Europa League match against Vitória de Guimarães, followed by his La Liga debut, a 0–0 draw with Osasuna. Courtois became first choice keeper over Sergio Asenjo, keeping four clean sheets in his first six La Liga games. On 26 November 2011, Courtois received his first red card of his professional career after fouling Real Madrid's Karim Benzema, as Atlético lost the Madrid derby 4-1. Atlético reached the 2012 UEFA Europa League Final, and Courtois kept a clean sheet as the club won 3-0 over fellow Spanish side Athletic Bilbao.
Courtois' loan to Atlético was extended to cover the 2012–13 season. His first game of the loan extension was against parent club Chelsea in the UEFA Super Cup final in Monaco, which ended in a 4-1 victory for Atlético Madrid. Later in the season Courtois set a new Atlético Madrid record of 820 minutes without conceding a goal at the Estadio Vicente Calderon, ended by being beaten in a 1-0 loss to Real Sociedad. Atlético reached the 2013 Copa del Rey Final, and Courtois was named man of the match in a 2–1 victory against city rivals Real, the first time that Atlético had beaten Real in 14 years.
For the 2013–14 season, Courtois' loan to Atlético Madrid was extended by a further 12 months.
Courtois was first called up to the Belgium squad in October 2011 and made his debut the following month in a friendly 0–0 against France, making him the youngest goalkeeper to ever play for the Belgian national team.
Inspired by Courtois' pose from a particular save in January 2013, a new word called Thibauting has been designed to pay homage to the Belgian goalkeeper. On November 2013, the word was included in a list to be polled to determine the best new sports word of the year in Belgium.
- As of match played 15 December 2013.
|Atlético Madrid (loan)||2011–12||37||0||0||0||—||15||0||—||52||0|
- 1Belgian Pro League, FA Premier League and La Liga.
- 2Including Belgian Cup, FA Cup and Copa del Rey.
- 3Football League Cup.
- 4Including UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League.
- 5Including Belgian Supercup, FA Community Shield, Supercopa de España and UEFA Super Cup.
- As of match played 15 October 2013.
|Belgium national team|
- Atlético Madrid
- Professional Goalkeeper of the Year (1): 2010–11
- Racing Genk Player of the Year (1): 2010–11
- Zamora Trophy (1): 2012–13
- LFP Best Goalkeeper (1): 2012-13
- Acta del Partido celebrado el 28 de agosto de 2011, en Madrid - Atlético Madrid vs Osasuna; RFEF, 28 August 2011 (Spanish)
- "Player Profile: Thibaut Courtois". Atlético Madrid. Retrieved 22 August 2013.
- "Courtois History". 101 Great Goals. Retrieved 12 July 2011.
- "STATS Hosted Solution | Player Stats - Thibaut Courtois - Racing Genk". Hosted.stats.com. Retrieved 2012-04-27.
- "Courtois to Chelsea". Goal.com. Retrieved 14 July 2011.
- "Courtois Completed". Chelsea F.C. 26 July 2011. Retrieved 26 July 2011.
- "Chelsea loan keeper Thibaut Courtois to Atletico Madrid". BBC. 26 July 2011. Retrieved 26 July 2011.
- "Courtois loaned to Atletico". Sportsmail Reporter. 26 July 2011. Retrieved 26 July 2011.
- "Courtois on Loan". Chelseafc.com. Retrieved 10 August 2011.
- "Match: Guimaraes v Atlético Madrid - Europa League". ESPN. Retrieved 28 August 2011.
- "Thibaut Courtois Bio, Stats, News - Football / Soccer - - ESPN Soccernet". Soccernet.espn.go.com. 11 May 1992. Retrieved 2012-04-27.
- "Match: Atlético Madrid v Osasuna - Spanish Primera División - ESPN Soccernet". Soccernet.espn.go.com. 28 August 2011. Retrieved 2012-04-27.
- "Match: Atlético Madrid v Racing Santander - Spanish Primera División - ESPN Soccernet". Soccernet.espn.go.com. 18 September 2011. Retrieved 2012-04-27.
- "Match: Atlético Madrid v Sporting Gijon - Spanish Primera División - ESPN Soccernet". Soccernet.espn.go.com. 21 September 2011. Retrieved 2012-04-27.
- "Match: Atlético Madrid v Sevilla FC - Spanish Primera División - ESPN Soccernet". Soccernet.espn.go.com. 2 October 2011. Retrieved 2012-04-27.
- "Atletico Madrid's Gregorio Manzano: Thibaut Courtois' red card in Real Madrid clash was wrong". Luis Mira. Retrieved 27 November 2011.
- "Report: Atlético Madrid vs Athletic Bilbao". ESPN. Retrieved 11 May 2012.
- "COURTOIS TO STAY IN SPAIN". Chelsea F.C. Retrieved 4 July 2012.
- "Courtois hopeful of Atleti extension". ESPNFC. 12 March 2013.
- "Prieto strikes as Sociedad stun Atletico". Eurosport. 11 March 2013.
- "COURTOIS LOAN EXTENDED". Chelseafc.com. Retrieved 24 June 2013.
- "Match Stats: Belgium v Kazakhstan". ESPN. Retrieved 7 October 2011.
- "Match Stats: Belgium v Germany". ESPN. Retrieved 11 October 2011.
- "Courtois makes Debut". The Guardian. Retrieved 15 November 2011.
- "Belgium Draws". Taiwan News. Retrieved 16 November 2011.
- "Chelsea FC Loan Roundup: 11/20/11". Stephen Schmidt. Retrieved 20 November 2011.
- "'Thibauting' included in poll for Belgian sports word of the year". inside World Soccer. 29 November 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Thibaut Courtois.|
- Official profile at Atlético Madrid
- Belgium Stats at Belgian FA
- Transfermarkt profile
- Thibaut Courtois at footballzz.co.uk
- Sky Sports profile
- Courtois YouthWatch Profile