Thierry Geoffroy (born 1961), also known as Colonel, is a Danish-French artist, living in Copenhagen, Denmark. He is a Conceptual artist using a wide variety of media including video and installations, often collaborative with other artists.
Geoffroy refers to his work as "format art", since the format of the artwork is the artwork. In 1989, he when wrote a manifest on five types of moving exhibitions (Manifeste – Les differents Types de moving Exhibitions). Since then he has worked on several other formats, his most famous being Emergency Room, which has toured internationally and has been shown at P.S. 1 Contemporary Art Center in New York. The formats generally involve many participants and are designed to investigate social psychology (e.g., conflicts, collaboration).
His method is inspired by the TV program format: art institutions wanting to use an art format must purchase a license and agree to use the original title, architectural concept, and methods. As in TV, vast documentation is always created with video and photo material as central elements.
Geoffroy devised the 'Emergency Room' concept to allow artists to respond to current events quickly. The exhibits are changed every day. 'Emergency Room' events have been held in Copenhagen, Berlin, New York, Paris (where over 150 artists took part) and Manifesto 8 in Murcia, Spain. Part of the latter took place in a 'Penetration Room', combining Geoffroy's "penetration" art. The 2010 Biennale took the theme of "North Africa" and Geoffroy invited North African artists to intervene (or penetrate) the exhibition space.
The "Penetration" format is an artist's act of placing an artwork within another artist's exhibition. The Penetration is a solution to avoid the lateness of bureaucratic art institutions, by circulating space between the actors – artist to artist. A penetration is not only meant as a shortcut, but also a beneficial collaboration. The format has been seen at the Athens Biennial Emergency Room, at the Istanbul Biennial, at the Venice Biennial in 2007 (by Biennalist), at the Venice Biennial in 2009 (penetrations at the Venezuelan Pavilion with Daniel Medina, at the Finnish Pavilion with Jussi Kivi and at the Belgian boat with Jacques Charlier, curated by Enrico Lunghi).
Geoffroy's "Extracteur" format involves sending a person (character) to create a photographic collection of personal experience. It is designed to “retake the right to reread and reorganise the representation of the world" as a reaction to social media's collection of private information. He first used the format during the 2011 Venice Biennale.
The "Awareness Muscle" format's goal is to train the collective "muscle of awareness". It uses the act of physical training as a metaphor for consciousness and critical thinking training.
The "Biennalist" format concurrently comments on active biennals and managed cultural events through group discussion.
Geoffroy has also made several productions for Danish national television DR2. Among these the programs "Capitain" (1999), ”Immigranten” (2001), “Photographe“ (2002) and "Protest Underwear" (2005). The choice of media is frequently changing and is usually concerned with the contemporary. Newspapers, radio, fashion industry, telephones, internet domains, parties, music festivals, performance, myspace and facebook are among the elements of the artists crossmedia praxis.
Central to the philosophy of Thierry Geoffroy seems to be the concern that contemporary artists have an obligation to confront current themes (“emergencies”). This is especially evident in his Emergency Room and Awareness Muscle formats.
Parallel to the artists conceptual format art work, he has also worked with topics such as immigration, multiculturalism, colonialism, tourism, hypocrisy, and the role of the artist.
- Manifeste Moving Exhibition, Katalog, Brandts Klædefabrik, Odense, Denmark, 1989
- Sport Art Manifeste, Katalog, Brandts Klædefabrik, Odense, Denmark, 1991
- Sport Art Manifeste, Bildtidningen(S), 1991
- Colour Manifeste, Zoom,(F), März 1991
- Le conclusionisme, L‘Alliance (BKK) (1992)
- In dialogue with Northern Africa, Manifesta 8, Murcia 2010
- Thierry Geoffroy/Colonel. The Cultural Ministry Book Award 1995, Rhodos Edition, Copenhagen, Denmark 1995.
- Colonel, Strategies d´existence, Edition Rhodos, Copenhagen, Denmark, 1996.
- Thierry Geoffroy / Colonel, Tourists in Thailand, Edition Rhodos, Copenhagen, Denmark, 1997.
- Colonel - Avoir l’air, med tekster af Line Rosenvinge og Rune Gade, NIFCA (Hrsg.), Helsinki 2002.
- Emergency Room Dictionary by Thierry Geoffroy, Revolver Publishing
- Thierry Geoffroy/Colonel. 'Can an Art Show Like dOCUMENTA Be Dangerous ?' in continent. 2.3 (2012): 224-228.
- Dewille, James (21 February 2007). "Live From N.Y., It's Yesterday's News". Columbia Daily Spectator (New York). Retrieved 25 April 2013.
- "The Art of News (video)". Reuters. 27 February 2007. Retrieved 25 April 2013.
- Thomas, Cyril (13 November 2008). "Le remède à la morosité : EMERGENCY ROOM (in French)". ArtNet.fr. Retrieved 25 April 2013.
- Minder, Raphael (22 October 2010). "In Spain, Bifurcation at the Biennale". The New York Times. Retrieved 25 April 2013.
- Thierry Geoffroy/ Colonel Manifesta8.com, retrieved February 15, 2013
- "El detective 'Colombo' llega a Manifesta 8 (in Spanish)". Laverdad.es. 7 September 2010. Retrieved 25 April 2013.
- "El artista francés Thierry Geoffroy / Colonel investiga en Murcia la situación del diálogo con el norte de África". Manifesta 8. 9 September 2010. Retrieved 25 April 2013.
- Thierry Geoffroy/Colonel’s official webpage
- Emergency Room. Exhibition at P.S. 1 Contemporary Art Center in New York
- Thierry Geoffroy / COLONEL at the Venice Biennale
- Thierry Geoffroy / Colonel at ZKM Karlsruhe in 2011
- Emergency Room Dictionary by Thierry Geoffroy by Revolver
- "Medienarbeiten" Solo show at Sprengel Museum( 02 oct -05 janv 2003 )
- beyond the beyond by Bruce Sterling
- ALWAYS ON THE RUN portrait by Clemens Bomsdorf for art das kunstmagazin
- Laufend kritik schaffen by Daniel Völzke and Sebastian Frenzel , Monopol
- Akademiet der Kunste / " Nothing to declare? KURATOREN Andrea Buddensieg, Peter Weibel, Johannes Odenthal Hans Belting
- intervieuw ARTNETTV 2009
- Artribune 2012 ," Il contemporaneo? È sempre in ritardo "
- ART das KUNSTMAGAZIN text by Sebastian Baden "Kunstkritik nur im Notfall? Ein kreativer Protest "21//07 /2012
- Guest Author September 2012 . GAM – Global Art and the Museum , ZKM | Center for Art and Media Karlsruhe.
- conversation for ARTWRIT by Jacquelyn Davis , 2012
- 2008 Fotografisk center / Copenhagen " Gymnastic Mediatic "
- Artsland "Emergency case" by Nathalie Hegert / 2009
- artist portrait on RAI 3 by film instructor Christina Clausen
- Intervieuw by Alasdair Foster for CDC 2013
- On the art format Biennalist
- intervieuw ARTNETTV 2009
- ZKM Museum Karlsruhe : "Is the Contemporary Already too late? BIENNALIST in Athen
- Colonel Thierry Geoffroy solo show at Galerie Asbæk 2009 : " A great painter "
- Kultururbana 2010 Thierry Geoffroy o cómo sacar partido a un medio de masas by Gema Fernández-Blanco Martín
- Ars Baltica Triennial 2006-2007 :" Bio Colonialism " KUMU Art Museum of Estonia, Tallinn, Pori Art Museum, Pori/FI, Casino Luxembourg - Forum d'art contemporain, Neue Gesellschaft für Bildende Kunst e.V. (NGBK)
- Killsurfcity "There is not a good Biennale without Colonel " by Salvo Perrino August 2011
- Kultururbana 2010 Un arte de hoy para hoy, volviendo a Thierry by Gema Fernández-Blanco Martín
- The Brian Lehrer Show "Where art and Journalism Collide" (mp3, WNYC) PS1/MoMA, New York, 2007
- Nikolaj Mangurten Lassen weekendavisen " Art =Retard " March 2007
- Emergency Room - Galerie Taiss - Paris
- Format Emergency Room in Hanoi from Hanoi Times
- Hanoi : University of Fine Arts (2009)
- Emergency Room at European Culture Congress, Wroclav (2011)
- Naples : Emergency Room at PAN - PALAZZO DELLE ARTI NAPOLI (2009)
- Athens :Emergency Room at Ileana Tounta Contemporary Art Center (2007)
- Format Emergency Room at MOMA / PS1 New York. Report from ABC News 2007
- The Penetration project Biennalist e-flux, 2007-05-27
- Penetration at Manifesta 8 Arte en la Red, 2010-09-03
- La "Penetration Room" en Manifesta 8 La Verdad, 2010-09-07
- "Emergencies now before it is too late" Venice Biennale 2011 on Art & Education
- Biennalist at the Venice Biennale 2011, by Sprengel Museum Hannover
- 'Penetration at Manifesta 8 / for Northern African artists only', e-flux 2010
- 'ab fab: artfairist & biennalist' by Happyfamousartists, 2010
- 'Biennalist at Socle du Monde Biennale', for Frieze by Robert Barry, 2010
- 'The Curator Lifting Running Competition', e-flux, 2004
- by Michael Jeppesen "Det er de andre, der tager fejl" Information 14 /01/2010
- Kunstavisen / Kunstnavn 2012 ( artist of the year 2012) by Tom Hermansen
- Søndag Aften 2006 : Emergency Room
- CPH ART by Morten Friis Den dag revolutionen kom forbi 05/22/2007
- Al magt til dOCUMENTA ! Af Matthias Hvass Borello /16 sept 2012 Kunsten.nu
- Hvad kan mediebranchen lære af en konceptkunstner? af AMP 6 nov 2008 Kunsten.nu
- Aktivismens strategier for en bedre verden Af Matthias Hvass Borello 16 dec 2009 Kunsten.nu
- TV2 / portrait Thierry Geoffroy by Marianne Kjær, Danish national channel 1993
- Arbejder"Kunsten skal stå vagt om klimaet" 23 dec 2009
- by Mette Sandbye : Monsieur Colonel slår til igen, August 2000, Weekendavisen (DK)