Third constituency for French residents overseas
| French National Assembly
|Department||none (overseas residents)|
The Third constituency for French residents overseas (troisième circonscription des Français établis hors de France) is one of eleven constituencies each electing one representative of French citizens overseas to the French National Assembly.
It covers all French citizens living in ten countries in Northern Europe - specifically, Iceland, Norway, Denmark (including the Faroe Islands and Greenland), Sweden, Finland, Ireland, the United Kingdom, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania. As of New Year's Day 2011, it contained 140,731 registered French voters. By far the greatest number of these (113,655) were living in the United Kingdom, the country with the third greatest number of registered French residents in the world. (In contrast, there were only 146 in Estonia, and just one in Greenland.)
This constituency elected its first ever representative at the 2012 French legislative election.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (March 2013)|
Europe Écologie–The Greens has chosen Olivier Bertin, with Natacha Blisson as his deputy (suppléante). A resident of London, Bertin runs a bilingual preschool. He is also a member of the Green Party of England and Wales.
The Radical Party (centre-right) and the Republican, Ecologist and Social Alliance (centrist) have jointly chosen Olivier de Chazeaux as their candidate, with Nathalie Chassaigne-Rombaut as his deputy.
The Christian Democratic Party has chosen Denys Dhiver as its candidate. Jorice Samuel is his deputy. Dhiver, who is a member of the Union for a Popular Movement as well as of the CDP, is also endorsed by France Ecologie.
Will Mael Nyamat will be standing as an independent candidate (miscellaneous left). A former member of the French Socialist Party, he left it and is now a member of the British Labour Party. He is a resident of London. Dja-Tsingue Nzigou is his deputy.
Gaspard Koenig, a resident of London, is the candidate for the small French Liberal Democratic Party (which espouses economic liberalism). (It bears no relation to the British party of the same name.) Olivia Penichou is his deputy.
Marie-Claire Sparrow is the candidate of the Gathering of French residents Overseas (Rassemblement des Français de l'étranger), related to the Union for a Popular Movement. Richard Dimosi is her deputy.
The other independent candidates are: Bernard Larmoyer (with Virginie Charles as his deputy); Anne-Marie Wolfsohn (with Maïlys Michot-Casbas as her deputy); and Patrick Kaboza (with David Judaique as his deputy).
Although campaigning was difficult due to the sheer size of the constituency, some candidates did travel to several countries to talk to expatriates. In addition, a debate was organised in King's College, London in late May, with many of the candidates taking part. A number of candidates were also interviewed (separately) on French Radio London.
A major issue for voters is reportedly the cost and accessibility of French schools abroad.
With a large majority of voters living in the UK, and twelve of the twenty candidates based there (including nine in London), the UK was a focal point of the campaign.
As in other constituencies, turnout was low in the first round. Latvia was the only country in this constituency in which over half of registered French residents voted (57.3%). Turnout was also comparatively high in Estonia (41.1%) and Lithuania (41.0%). It was lowest in the United Kingdom (18.8%) and Ireland (21.8%). Nonetheless, French residents in the United Kingdom cast 72.53% of all ballots cast in this constituency.
Socialist candidate Axelle Lemaire won the first round vote by a clear margin. She finished first in every country except Estonia. Lemaire went on to win the second round by a large margin.
|Legislative Election 2012: Overseas residents 3 - 2nd round|
|PS win (new seat)|
|Legislative Election 2012: Overseas residents 3 - 1st round|
|PS||Axelle Lemaire||5 486||30.16||-|
|UMP||Emmanuelle Savarit||3 934||21.63||-|
|Centrist Alliance||Olivier Cadic||2 063||11.34||-|
|EELV||Olivier Bertin||1 877||10.32||-|
|MoDem||Yannick Naud||1 126||6.19||-|
|Liberal Democrats||Gaspard Koenig||801||4.40||-|
|FN||Guy Le Guezennec||493||2.71||-|
|Miscellaneous right||Marie-Claire Sparrow||379||2.08||-|
|Christian Democrat||Denys Dhiver||253||1.39||-|
|Independent||Jérôme de Lavenère Lussan||150||0.82||-|
|Radical||Olivier de Chazeaux||125||0.69||-|
|Radical Left||Ezella Sahraoui||67||0.37||-|
|European Federalists||Christophe Schermesser||49||0.27||-|
|Miscellaneous left||Will Mael Nyamat||45||0.25||-|
|Solidarity and Progress||Édith Tixier||38||0.21||-|
- "Les élections en 2012 à l’étranger: Votre circonscription pour l’élection des députés", French Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs
- "Décret n° 2011-367 du 4 avril 2011 authentifiant la population des Français établis hors de France au 1er janvier 2011", Légifrance
- "Français inscrits au registre mondial au 31/12/2010", French Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs
- "Législatives : à Londres, pléthore de candidats et tâtonnements", Le Monde, 26 May 2012
- "Arrêté du 14 mai 2012 fixant la liste des candidats au premier tour de l'élection des députés élus par les Français établis hors de France ", Journal Officiel de la République Française, 15 May 2012
- "3ème circonscription: Europe du Nord", Le Petit Journal
- "Elections législatives 2012 : nos candidates et candidats"[dead link], Parti Socialiste - Fédération des Français à l'Etranger
- "Législatives : l'UMP a désigné ses candidats pour l'étranger", Le Figaro, April 13, 2011
- "Yannick Naud, Candidat du MoDem pour la 3ème circonscription des Français de l’étranger", Mouvement Démocrate Royaume-Uni et Irlande
- "Motion 13: Législatives 2012: Hors de France"[dead link], Europe Écologie–The Greens
- "Les 11 candidat-e-s EELV sur les circonscriptions législatives hors de France"[dead link], EELV, 12 November 2011
- "Présentation de Ezella Sahraoui", Le Petit Journal
- "Présentation de Denys Dhiver", Le Petit Journal
- "Ma déclaration de candidature"[dead link], Nyamat's official website
- "Présentation de Christophe Schermesser", Le Petit Journal
- "Présentation de Gaspard Koenig", Le Petit Journal
- "Présentation de Aberzack Boulariah", Le Petit Journal
- "LÉGISLATIVES 2012 - Jérôme Lussan : "Je veux être une force de frappe", Le Petit Journal
- "Le défi : mobiliser des électeurs éparpillés", France 24, 1 June 2012
- French Radio London: Réécoutez / Listen Again, March 2012
- "Why are the French getting an 'MP for London'?", BBC News, 2 June 2012
- Official results of the first round, French Ministry for Foreign Affairs
- "Législatives : tous les résultats des Français de l'étranger", Le Nouvel Observateur, 4 June 2012
- "Résultats du 2nd tour - 17 juin 2012 dans la 3ème circonscription - Europe du Nord", Le Monde