|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2006)|
|Elevation||10 m (30 ft)|
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Tirurangadi is a well-developed town in Malapuram district of Kerala, South India. It is a historical old town which is much famed for its active participance in the freedom struggle, especially those dating back to 1920s. It is a Municipality as well as a taluk. It is located 25 km west of Malappuram, the district headquarters, 30 km south of Calicut and 170 km north of Ernakulam.
This town is well connected with all parts of Kerala and National Highway 17 passes through this town. There are two main bus stations situated in the town, one in Chemmad, and another one in Kakkad. The former is for buses plying to the nearby areas while the latter is used for long distance buses only.
The famous house of Ayurveda Kottakkal Aryavaidyasala is just 10 km away from Tirurangadi.
Tirurangadi, a well-versed place in the history of Freedom Fight is now known as a small educational hub in Malappuram district. The PSMO College is right in the centre of the town surrounded by several other institutions. Headquarters of University of Calicut is just 13 km away.
Tirurangadi Government Higher Secondary School and Oriental Higher Secondary School are the two important schools serving the primary educational needs of the area as well as nearby areas whereas '"Tirurangadi Yatheem Khana" is a well noted institution among its kind.
Tirurangadi Yatheemkhana (Orphanage) is a well managed Muslim orphanage having numerous institutions under its hood, including but not limited to PSMO College, KMMMO Arabic College, SSMO Teachers Training Institute, Oriental Higher Secondary School, MKH Memorial Hospital,MKH Nursing College etc.
Major Educational Institutions are:
1) Darul Huda Islamic University, Chemmad, Tirurangadi
2) Pocker Sahib Memorial Orphanage College (PSMO College), Tirurangadi
3) KMMO Arabic College, Tirurangadi
4) Govt. Poly Technic,Chelari, Tirurangadi
5) SSMO Teachers Training Institute,Tirurangadi
6) Govt. Higher Secondary School, Tirurangadi
7) Oriental Higher Secondary School, Tirurangadi
8) Govt. High School, Trikkulam, Tirurangadi
9) Khuthubuzzaman English Medium Higher Secondary School, Chemmad, Tirurangadi
10) MKH School of Nursing, Tirurangadi
11) Kerala Residentail Higher Secondary School, Karumbil, Tirurangadi
12) National English Medium Higher Secondary School, Chemmad, Tirurangadi
13) Malabar Central School, Valiya Paramabu, Tirurangadi
1) MK Haji Memorial Hospital, Tirurangadi
2) Tirurangadi Taluk Hospital, Chemmad, Tirurangadi
3) Karuna Cancer Hospital, Pantharangadi, Tirurangadi
4) Pathur Nursing Homel, Chemmad, Tirurangadi
5) Lailas Hospital, Chemmad, Tirurangadi
6) Tirurangadi Nursing Home, Chemmad, Tirurangadi
7) Imrans Eye Hospital, Chemmad, Tirurangadi
8) Dr. Ahamed Koya Hospital, Chemmad, Tirurangadi
9) Moonniyoor Nursing Home, Alinchuvadu
Banks & Financial Institutions
Major Banks in the area are:
1) HDFC Bank, Calicut Road, Chemmad, Tirurangadi
2) State Bank of India, Calicut Road, Chemmad, tirurangadi
3) Federal Bank, Parappanangadi Road,Chemmad, Tirurangadi
4) Indian Overseas Bank, Main Road, Chemmad, Tirurangadi
5) Canara Bank, Main Road, Chemmad, Tirurangadi
6) State Bank of Travancore, Main Road, Chemmad, Tirurangadi
7) South Indian Bank, Main Road, Chemmad, Tirurangadi
8) Catholic Syrian Bank, Main Road, Tirurangadi
9) Kerala Gramin Bank, Calicut Road, Chemmad, tirurangadi
Besides this several banks in co-operative sectors such as 1) Malappuram District Co Operative bank 2) Tirurangadi Co Operative Bank (with 5 Brnaches) 3) Tirur C Operative Agriculture Bank etc and several non banking financial institutions such as KSFE, muthoot, chemmannur, manappuram etc are also functioning in the town
Places of Interest
1) Tirurangadi Big Mosque:- The Tirurangadi Big Mosque is a famous mosque located in Tirurangadi in the Malappuram District of Kerala, south India. Historically related to the Mappila Lahala of 1921 against the British Government
2) Mamburam Mosque:- Mamburam Mosque is famous for the tomb of Sayyid Alavi Mouladaveel Sayyid Alavi Thangal , a Yemeni Islamic scholar and indian freedom fighter who settled at Mamburam in Kerala is now considered as one of greatest pilgrimage centres in southern India.
Tirurangadi itself is a Vidhan Sabha (Legislative Assembly) constituency of the State of Kerala.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Tirurangadi
- - Tirurangadi
- "Assembly Constituencies - Corresponding Districts and Parliamentary Constituencies" (PDF). Kerala. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2008-10-19.