||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2008)|
|Dr. Thirumalachari Ramasami|
|Dr. Ramasami at the 100th Indian Science Congress, Kolkata.|
|Indian Science & Technology Secretary|
Thirumalachari Ramasami is the Indian Science and Technology Secretary. He assumed charge in May 2006. Prior to this assignment, he served as the Director of the Central Leather Research Institute, Chennai, India. He is a distinguished researcher and leather scientist. He was awarded India's National Civilian Honour the Padma Shri for excellence in Science and Engineering in 2001 and the Padma Bhushan in 2014. He was awarded the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award, the highest award for science in India, for notable and outstanding research in Chemical Sciences in 1993.
He graduated in Secondary School Leaving Certificate (SSLC) from G.S. Hindu High School, Srivilliputtur in 1963, Pre-University from St.Joseph's College, Trichy in 1964, Bachelor and Master of Technology in Leather Technology from the University of Madras in 1969 and 1972, respectively with first rank and Doctor of Philosophy in Chemistry from the University of Leeds, England in January 1976.
He carried out post-doctoral research in energy at the Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University USA during 1978–80 and on electron transport phenomena at Wayne State University, Detroit, USA during 1981–83. He was a visiting Fellow at University of Newcastle upon Tyne during 1983–84.
He holds 37 patents of which 12 have been commercialised. He has authored more than 220 research publications, eight chapters in books, and numerous general articles.
Director of CLRI
He came back to India in 1984 and joined as the Director of the Central Leather Research Institute, the world's largest leather research institute.(He said in an interview to RSTV (programme name is "Eureka") that one's achievements should be socially recognised and this can be well achieved on your motherland.) As Director of CLRI, he prepared a vision document for CLRI – CLRI Vision 2005, directed the Leather Technology Mission with 170 projects in 17 states of India, reengineering CLRI, new models for development and measures for collective decision making. Led CLRI in providing cleaner tanning technology options for a group of 764 tanneries in a record time of 12 months. Led the Indian initiative in forecasting colours for Modeurop Congress gaining India, a niche status in the fashion world. India is now preparing the shade card for the world. Galvanized and led CLRI in a growth path since 1996 in the capacity as Director. Prepared a vision, mission and action document for leading the growth of CLRI and gaining for India global leadership in leather by way of original publications, IPR generation and technologies delivered. He helped CLRI register a meaningful outcome on Indian Leather Sector during 1996–2004. Dramatic increases in outputs of CLRI have been registered during the Directorship since 1996.
Department of Science & Technology
Ramasami assumed the role of Secretary, Science & Technology in the Government of India since May 2006. The department has sought a fifth extension for its him which something that is considered rare at his level in the central government.
Honours and awards
Some of the Honors, awards and recognitions that have come his way include:
- Padma Bhushan Award in 2014
- National Civilian Honour Padma Shri (Science and Engineering), Govt. of India, 2001
- Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award for Chemical Sciences, 1993. (Highest award for science in India, awarded annually by the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research for notable and outstanding research)
- Coleman Research Prize, 1976 (for the Best Doctoral Thesis from the UK).
- Material Research Society of India (MRSI) Medal, 2001
- Vasvik Prize for Environmental Technologies, 2004(for Development of Pollution Control system in leather industry.
- Vasvik Prize for Chemical Sciences, 1997(for Development of chromium aluminium synthetic tanning agent, Alcrotan.
- Great son of the soil award from All India conference of intellectuals, 2003.
- Dr. Y. Nayudamma Memorial Award, 2008
- Platinum Jubilee Award of the Indian Chemical Society, 2001.
- Chemito Award for excellence in Chemistry and Life sciences.
- Silver Medal of the Chemical Research Society of India, 2003.
- Om Prakash Bhasin Award for Engineering and Technology, 2000.
- For the sake of honour award (Rotary Club).
- Vocational Services Award from Rotary Club.
- Honorary Professorship of JN Centre for Advanced Research.
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, Anna University, Chennai.
- Fellow, Indian National Science Academy.
- Fellow, Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers.
- Fellow, Third World Academy of Sciences.
Endowment Lecture awards
- 42nd John Arthur Wilson Memorial Lecture Orator Award, 2001 by American Leather Chemists Association.
- Indian Institute of Chemical Technology (IICT)-Darshan Endowment Lecture award, 2004.
- Acharya P C Ray Memorial Oration Award.
- ALFA Orator Award, 2003.* Elizabath Mathai Endowment Oration.
- Prof. G S Laddha Endowment Lecture award.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Thirumalachari Ramasami.|
- "Indian scientists want Nobel laureate 'Venky' to tour country". The Times of India. 7 October 2009. Retrieved 16 December 2010.
- Special Correspondent (30 April 2010). "DST secretary Ramasami gets two-year extension". The Hindu. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- "Kamala Haasan, Vidya Balan among Padma winners". The Hindu Business Line. 26 January 2014.
- "Dept of Science and Technology profile". Dept of Science and Technology. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- Staff reporter (27 September 2007). "Varsity's 15th convocation to be held tomorrow". Tirunelveli, Tamilnadu. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- "ModEurop". Switzerland: ModEurop. Retrieved 5 November 2012.
- "PMO returns picks for UGC chairman, seeks their merits". New Delhi: Hindustan Times. 12 April 2012. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- "Nayudamma Award for leather scientist". Guntur: The Hindu. 6 December 2008. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- "MSRI Honours and Awards". 2001. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- "VASVIK Industrial Research Awards, Environmental Sciences & Technology". VASVIK. 1997. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- "Council for Leather exports: Leather industry". CLE. 2012. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- "VASVIK Industrial Research Awards, Chemical Sciences & Technology". VASVIK. 1997. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- "CLRI: Products Available for Commercialization". Chennai: Central leather Research Institute. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- "National Research Development Corporation – Leather industry". NRDC. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- "The Great Son of the soil 2003". 2003. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- "Chemical research society of India, Awards 2003". CRSI. 2003. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- "Shri OM Prakash Bhasin Awards, Engineering". 11 May 2001. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- INSA (2005). "Indian National Science Academy fellow". Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- "American Leather Chemists Assn: John Arthur Wilson Memorial Lecturers". New Jersey: ALCA. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- "In Hyderabad today". Hindu Business line. 23 January 2004. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- "ALFA Orator award". AC Tech Leather & Footwear Alumni Association. 2003. Retrieved 4 November 2012.