Thiruvananthapuram–Mangalore high-speed passenger corridor

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Thiruvananthapuram–Mangalore high-speed rail corridor
Overview
Type High-speed rail
Status On hold
Locale Kerala
Karnataka
Termini Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala
Mangalore, Karnataka
Stations 11
Operation
Operator(s) Kerala High Speed Rail Corporation Ltd. (KHSRC)
Character Elevated and underground, grade-separated, dedicated passenger tracks
Technical
Line length 630 km (390 mi)
No. of tracks 2
Operating speed 300 km/h (190 mph)

Route map: Google / Bing

The Thiruvananthapuram–Mangalore high-speed passenger corridor was a proposed high-speed rail corridor in India that would connect the capital city of Kerala, Thiruvananthapuram with Mangalore in Karnataka. In February 2014, the Indian media reported that the state government had shelved the project.

History[edit]

The Thiruvananthapuram – Mangalore high-speed passenger corridor was mooted in the 2009-10 budget speech of the LDF government. The project was cleared by the State Cabinet in February 2010.[1][2] The Kerala State Industrial Development Corporation (KSIDC) was appointed as the nodal agency to develop the project. The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) conducted the pre-feasibility study of the project. The pre-feasibility report recommended that the project should be extended by another 42 km to Mangalore instead of the original proposal for the northern terminus to be at Kasargod, as the projected traffic load tapered to a thin margin between Kozhikode and Kasargod.[3] DMRC will submit a detailed project report (DPR) for the project by July 2013.[4]

In September 2011, a special purpose vehicle, the Kerala High Speed Rail Corporation Ltd. (KHSRC) was formed to implement the project.[5] T. Balakrishnan, (Additional Chief Secretary – Industry and Commerce), Alkesh Kumar Sharma (MD of KSIDC) and T.P. Thomas Kutty, (Executive Director of KSIDC) were appointed as the first directors of the new company.[6]

The Ministry of Railways has stated that the project is feasible and has expressed full support for the project. However, the ministry also stated that it was not in a position to give any financial commitment to the project from its resources. As per current plans, construction will be taken up by Indian Railways. The pre-feasibility report suggests that the Indian Railways could award the operations and maintenance part to a private partner on private-public partnership (PPP) basis.[7] The project will be implemented as a joint venture between the State government and a private partner (yet to be selected).[6] Approximately 800 hectares of land will have to be acquired for the project. 250 hectares of land has to be acquired for the 200 km stretch from Thiruvananthapuram to Ernakulam. This will displace 1600 to 1700 families. The corridor is expected to be fully commissioned by March 2020.[8]

In February 2014, the Indian media reported that the state government had shelved the project. The high-speed rail corridor was removed from the list of mega projects in the state by the state planning board, and it was also not mentioned in the state budget for that year. The Times of India quoted unnamed sources as stating, "It has not been scrapped officially, but it is at a dead stage. The estimated project cost has almost doubled now, and the more the delay, the costlier the project would become." The cost of constructing the project was estimated to be 1.80 lakh crore, much higher than the originally estimated 1 lakh crore, and the amount was reportedly unbearable for the state.[9][10][11] 80% of the cost was proposed to be funded by JICA, and the remaining 20% by the State and Central governments.

Plan[edit]

Proposed stations on the high-speed corridor
Thiruvananthapuram
Kollam
Chengannur
Kottayam
Kochi
Thrissur
Valancheri
Kozhikode
Kannur
Kasaragod
Mangalore

The 630-kilometre-long high-speed corridor from Thiruvananthapuram to Mangalore was planned to be built 4 km east of the present rail line, and 140 km of the corridor was to be underground and 296 kilometres on over bridges supported by pillars. The government planned to acquire 20 metres of land for each pillar, to build 2-track high-speed elevated rail lines.[9][10][11] The corridor would not have any level-crossings or pathways across the tracks. The distance between two pillars of the elevated rail was proposed as 25 m, and the line would run 5 m above the ground level.[12]

The first phase of construction would have included building a high-speed rail link between Thiruvananthapuram and Kochi. This was proposed to be completed within 5 12 years from start of construction. Kochi would then be linked with Mangalore in the second phase. There were also proposals to extend the rail line to Udupi from Mangalore, and Kanyakumari from Thiruvananthapuram.[13] 80% of the cost will be funded by JICA and the remaining 20% by the State and Central governments. Karnataka state industrial development department has identified Udupi-Karnataka Border project as the potential PPP project and listed it as the future project with 15000 crore investment and will market this in the Global Investors Meet which are organized once in 2 years.[14]

Each train was planned to have 8 coaches: 6 motorised coaches and 2 trailers attached to the motorised coaches at both ends. A train would be able to carry 817 passengers per trip.

The proposed stations are Thiruvananthapuram, Kollam, Chengannur, Kottayam, Kochi, Thrissur, Valancheri, Kozhikode, Kannur, Kasargod and Mangalore.[15]

See also[edit]

References[edit]

  1. ^ "No cause for concern over high speed rail: Chandy". The Hindu. 25 September 2012. Retrieved 11 March 2013. 
  2. ^ "Kerala Chief Minister assures people on high speed rail project". NDTV. 25 September 2012. Retrieved 11 March 2013. 
  3. ^ "DMRC survey not final: Collector". Deccan Chronicle. 2012. Retrieved 2012. 
  4. ^ S. Anil Radhakrishnan. "High Speed Corridor: DMRC needs more time to submit report". The Hindu. Retrieved 2013-03-11. 
  5. ^ "Kerala's High Speed Dilemma". Yentha.com. 8 August 2012. Retrieved 2012. 
  6. ^ a b "About Company". khsrcl.com. Retrieved 11 March 2013. 
  7. ^ "Can’t fund Kerala’s high speed link: railway ministry". Live Mint. 25 November 2012. Retrieved 11 March 2013. 
  8. ^ "‘1,700 families to be displaced for high speed rail project’". The Hindu. 13 September 2012. Retrieved 11 March 2013. 
  9. ^ a b High speed rail project shelved by planning board - The Times of India
  10. ^ a b http://english.manoramaonline.com/cgi-bin/MMOnline.dll/portal/ep/contentView.do?contentId=16193075&tabId=1&programId=11565535
  11. ^ a b Kerala pauses work on high-speed rail corridor project - News Oneindia
  12. ^ TNN Sep 17, 2012, 05:18 am IST (2012-09-17). "Survey for high-speed rail sparks local ire". The Times of India. Retrieved 2013-03-11. 
  13. ^ T Ramavarman (2012-07-07). "High-speed rail corridor may go up to Udupi". The Times of India. Retrieved 2013-03-11. 
  14. ^ http://www.idd.kar.nic.in/docs/KIT_I.pdf
  15. ^ "Thiruvananthapuram: Work on high speed rail corridor to begin in 2014". Ibnlive.in.com. 2012-08-10. Retrieved 2013-03-11.