|Elevation||13 m (43 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
About the town
This town is situated 6 km north-east of Marthandam and 30 km north-west of Nagercoil. The two main rivers Pahrali River and Kothai surround the village and join in Moovattumugam, giving the name Thiru (sacred)+ vatta (surround)+ aru (river). This village, where the Sri Adikesavaperumal Temple is located, is one of the 108 Divya Desams.
The Mathur hanging trough is located 5 km from Thiruvattar. The 100 years old St.James church,Puthenkadai is located 0.5 km from Thiruvattar. Thirparappu waterfalls is located about 10 km from Thiruvattar. The famous singer Kamukara Purushotthaman was born in the nearby Kamukara village.
As of 2001[update] India census, Thiruvattaru had a population of 18,404. Males constitute 49% of the population and females 51%. Thiruvattaru has an average literacy rate of 77%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 78%, and female literacy is 75%. In Thiruvattaru, 10% of the population is under 6 years of age. There is a substantial Malayalee Nair population in Thiruvattar.Malayalam and Tamil are understood alike by the people who are having Tamil and Malayalam respectively as their mother tongue.
As per the latest restructuring, the Thiruvattar assembly constituency has been split and merged with nearby constituencies.
- Arunachalam Higher Secondary School,Puthenkadai
- Govt. High school, thiruvattar.
- Excel Central School, Thiruvattar.
- "A note on the place name, Tiruvattar". Journal of Kerala studies (University of Kerala) 7: 31–35. 1980. ISSN 0377-0443.
- Cuppiramaṇiyan̲, Ca. Vē; Ē. En̲ Perumāḷ (1983). Heritage of the Tamils: art & architecture. International Institute of Tamil Studies. p. 448. OCLC 10457841.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "List of Parliamentary and Assembly Constituencies". Tamil Nadu. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2008-10-13.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Thiruvattar.|
|This Kanniyakumari district location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|