This Christmas (film)
|Directed by||Preston A. Whitmore II|
Preston A. Whitmore IIWill Packer
|Written by||Preston A. Whitmore II|
|Edited by||Paul Seydor|
|Distributed by||Screen Gems / Rainforest Films|
|Running time||119 Minutes|
This Christmas is a 2007 Christmas comedy film produced by Rainforest Films and distributed by Screen Gems. Written, produced and directed by Preston A. Whitmore II, it is a Christmastime story that centers on the Whitfield family, whose eldest son has come home for the first time in four years. The film is based on the 1971 Donny Hathaway song of the same name, which is covered by Chris Brown in the film.
- Loretta Devine as Shirley Ann Whitfield known as Ma'Dere
- Delroy Lindo as Joe Black
- Idris Elba as Quentin Whitfield, Jr.
- Regina King as Lisa Whitfield-Moore
- Sharon Leal as Kelli Whitfield
- Columbus Short as Claude Whitfield
- Lauren London as Melanie Whitfield
- Chris Brown as Michael Whitfield, AKA Baby
- Laz Alonso as Malcolm Moore
- Ricky Harris as Cousin Fred Whitfield
- Keith Robinson as Devan Brooks
- Jessica Stroup as Sandi Whitfield
- Lupe Ontiveros as Rosie
- David Banner as Mo
- Ronnie Warner as Dude
- Mekhi Phifer as Gerald
Reviews for the film were generally mixed. As of December 4, 2007, a slim majority of the critics on Rotten Tomatoes judged the film "rotten", with the consensus view being that the film "Has strong performances, but relies too heavily on holiday movie clichés." The score on Metacritic is 63 out of 100, "Generally favorable reviews". Despite some bad reviews the movie ranked number 2 in the box office (next to Enchanted). The film became a box office hit after opening with $17,958,183. It went on to gross $49,121,934 domestically on a budget of just $13 million.
DVD and Blu-ray release
This film marks the on-screen reunion of several cast members. Mekhi Phifer and Delroy Lindo both starred in the Spike Lee joint Clockers. Chris Brown, Laz Alonso, and Columbus Short all starred in the film Stomp the Yard while Sharon Leal and Loretta Devine both played characters on the hit television series Boston Public. Keith Robinson, Sharon Leal and Loretta Devine also worked together in the 2006 film Dreamgirls. Loretta Devine and Regina King were both in Urban Legend. In 2006, Loretta Devine and Lauren London guest-starred in an episode of Everybody Hates Chris. Idris Elba, and Jessica Stroup would later go on and work together in the 2008 remake Prom Night. Jessica Stroup also stars on the CW show 90210, which features Lauren London as a recurring guest star in several episodes. Columbus Short and Idris Elba later starred together in the 2010 film The Losers, while Idris Elba and Chris Brown worked together in the 2010 film Takers. In 2010, Columbus Short worked with Loretta Devine in Death at a Funeral. Again, Loretta Devine and Lauren London would later worked together in 2011 film, Tyler Perry's Madea's Big Happy Family. Also in the same year, Loretta Devine worked with Laz Alonso in the film Jumping the Broom. In 2013, Chris Brown worked with Laz Alonso in Battle of the Year.
This Christmas Soundtrack was released by Jive Records on November 20, 2007.
- This Christmas - Chris Brown - 3:18
- I'll Be Home For Christmas (Waiting On Remix) -Jordin Sparks - 3:13
- Jingle Bells - B2K - 3:18
- Try A Little Tenderness - Chris Brown - 6:14
- Merry Christmas Baby - Charles Brown - 4:49
- Silent Night - Boney James Feat. Anthony Hamilton - 5:16
- Please Come Home For Christmas - Aaron Neville - 2:52
- I Never Loved A Man (The Way I Love You) - Aretha Franklin - 2:50
- Got To Give It Up, Part 1 - Marvin Gaye - 4:13
- Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas - Luther Vandross - 5:05
- The Christmas Song - Toni Braxton - 3:25
- Santa Baby - Lina - 3:20
- Sleigh Ride - TLC - 3:44
- O Holy Night - Denetria Champ - 4:33
Awards and nominations
- Asian Excellence Awards
- Outstanding Actress in a Movie: (Sharon Leal), Winner
- Image Awards
- Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture: (Loretta Devine), Nominated
- Outstanding Directing in a Motion Picture: (Preston A Whitmore II), Nominated
- MTV Movie Awards
- Breakthrough Performance: (Chris Brown), Nominated
- No byline, rottentomatoes.com, This Christmas. Accessed 4 December 2007.
- No byline, metacritic.com, This Christmas. Accessed 4 December 2007.
- The Numbers - US Movie Box Office Chart Weekend of November 23, 2007
- This Christmas - Box Office Data, Movie News, Cast Information - The Numbers