This Is Home
|"This is Home"|
|Single by Switchfoot|
|from the album The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian, The Best Yet|
|Released||April 25, 2008 (to radio)
October 21, 2008 (radio re-ship)
3:54 (radio edit/soundtrack version)
4:01 (Music Video)
|Label||Walt Disney Records
Lowercase People Records
Columbia(Legacy)/Sony Music Entertainment (For "The Best Yet")
|Switchfoot singles chronology|
"This is Home" is a song written and recorded by the alternative rock band Switchfoot, and is featured on the soundtrack for the 2008 film The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian. The song was featured during the end credits of the film. It was the 17th most-played song on U.S. Contemporary Christian music radio stations for 2008 according to R&R magazine's Christian CHR chart.
Jon Foreman posted in a March 17, 2008 MySpace blog that "I’m a big fan of CS Lewis so a movie made by the mouse, (Mickey) for the lion (Aslan) seemed like a good idea. So I’m up here (near Disneyland incidentally), tracking a song that may or may not be used for the next Narnia movie."
The song was performed for the first time live at University of Iowa's Iowa Memorial Union on Wednesday night, April 16, 2008.
Foreman said, "I'm a huge C.S. Lewis fan and one of the big reasons I love his writing is because there's a longing in every page of his fiction and non-fiction... He doesn't create worlds that are picture perfect, but they feel real, they feel like they could exist, and thats because it feels like this world here where we're all longing for things to be set right."
"‘This Is Home’ was inspired by the book after re-reading it for the opportunity to write for the film. I am always taken by [C. S.] Lewis' ability to write about the bittersweet beauty in this world; this home we aren’t really made for but is the place we work out our humanity in the midst of our longing for our true home."
There are five different versions/mixes of the song.
- The Radio Mix was the first version of the song that emerged on websites like allaccess.com and interlinc-online.com and features a full drum kit arrangement and a full-band performance. It is the mix that was shipped to and played on radio stations, likely for its more upbeat tempo. This is the version featured in the official music videos and on The Best Yet.
- The Soundtrack version is the one found on the actual soundtrack cd for the movie, and features light percussion in place of the full drum set, along with a more atmospheric feel in the overall sound mix.
- The Credits version is drastically different from the other two versions. Featured in the end credits of the actual movie that was shown in theaters and on the DVD, it features altered lyrics, and shorter length. Copies of this version first emerged online as a result of pre-release rips of the "Prince Caspian" DVD. This "credits version" was chosen over the others because "the director liked our demo version of the song the best and actually put that part of the demo version in the actual film," according to guitarist Drew Shirley.
- An acoustic cut of the song that was released as a single that was exclusive to the Rhapsody music store/service.
- In August, 2009, The band also made available one of their earlier demo cuts of the song, at the time titled "Heading Home," exclusively to the Friends of the Foot fan club.
Release as a radio single
The single impacted to radio on April 25, 2008.
Partnering with Walt Disney Records and in addition to local marketing surrounding the film, the band's Christian-side distributor, Sparrow Records under EMI CMG Label Group released "This Is Home" to AC and CHR Christian radio. The band's management team, Red Light Management/Entertainment, partnering with the Disney-owned Hollywood Records put the single out at mainstream AC and Triple A radio formats.
In November, the new music video for the song was released in November by Sony, and the song was reshipped to radio, with little success.
|Christian Rock Airplay||#21|
|Billboard Hot Christian Songs||#14|
|Billboard Hot Christian Adult Contemporary||#21|
|Billboard Hot Christian Songs||#4|
Version 1 (Prince Caspian)
The band shot a music video for the song, interspersed with footage from the actual movie on Sunday, April 13, 2008.
The video premiered May 2, 2008 on Disney.com, and was posted on the band's official website as streaming YouTube video three days later. The video is included in the enhanced portion of the soundtrack carried in certain stores.
The band shot another music video, and it was released on YouTube November 19, 2008. It featured an introductory speech about the song by Foreman at the beginning, and features live footage from a concert the band played. Sony owns the copyright to the video, so it is assumed the video was shot for promotion of "The Best Yet" compilation.
- The song also appears on Switchfoot's The Best Yet greatest hits compilation.
- The song appeared on Walt Disney Records' compilation, Disney Box Office Hits.
- The song was also by appearances by the compilation album WOW Hits 2009.
- The song appeared in the Michigan Stadium Re-Dedication video
- An edited form of the "Radio mix" was used in trailers for the Disney film "Chimpanzee"
- Switchfoot Aims to Bring Hope to the Hopeless (Air1 Interview) - published April 21, 2008 (retrieved April 21, 2008)
- 2008 Year End Charts/Top Christian CHR songs, R&R magazine, Retrieved January 15, 2009
- Switchfoot Will Record a Song and a video for the Narnia Soundtrack! – published April 2, 2008 (retrieved April 5, 2008)
- Switchfoot on Prince Caspian Soundtrack – published April 3, 2008 (retrieved April 5, 2008)
- Switchfoot "This Is Home" - published April 17, 2008 (retrieved April 22, 2008).
- This Is Home clip - Published April 23, 2008 (retrieved April 26, 2008)
-  - published April 23, 2008 (Retrieved April 23, 2008)
- Disney Music - Published May 1, 2008 (retrieved May 1, 2008)
- "Every breath is magic...": This Is Home Movie Credits Version - Published September 11, 2008 (retrieved September 12, 2008)
- Switchfoot Interview With Drew Shirley - Published 2008 (retrieved April 7, 2009)
- Switchfoot Has released two Rhapsody-exclusive Singles - Published December 20, 2008 (Retrieved December 23, 2008)
- "Heading Home" Narnia Demo - Published August 19, 2009 (retrieved August 23, 2009)
- Third Day, Switchfoot, Jars of Clay and Robert Randolf and the Family Band Launch Music Builds Tour – published April 18, 2008 (retrieved April 19, 2008)
- New Switchfoot song "This Is Home" selected for upcoming Walt Disney Pictures, Walden Media Film "The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian" - published April 23, 2008 (retrieved April 23, 2008)
- Switchfoot Performs 'This Is Home' On The Tonight Show with Jay Leno May 13 - Published May 12, 2008 (Retrieved May 14, 2008)
- Switchfoot – This Is Home – Published November 19, 2008 (retrieved December 1, 2008)
- Nominations Announced for 40th GMA Dove Awards at CBN.com
- Sparrow Records Newsletter - (Retrieved May 1, 2008)
- News from the Fiction Family Music Video front?; "This Is Home" to feature on a new Disney Compilation - Published October 24, 2008 (retrieved October 24, 2008)