This Is The Kit
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012)|
|This Is The Kit|
|Origin||Winchester, England (via Bristol, England)|
No Need Water
Sunday Best Recordings
|Associated acts||Whalebone Polly
|Members||Kate Stables - lead vocals, banjo, guitar
Jesse D Vernon - bass, guitar, violin
Jamie Whitby-Coles - drums
Rozi Plain - vocals, guitar
Neil Smith - guitar
Philip Sirop - batterie
In 2006, record label Sunday Best Recordings included the band's song "Two Wooden Spoons" in its Folk Off compilation album alongside artists including Animal Collective, Tunng and Vashti Bunyan. The band's inclusion in the compilation received high praise from Drowned in Sound, who wrote: "its personal touch is largely what makes This Is The Kit the British highlight, not to mention that of the compilation as a whole". Following that, Sunday Best went on to release "Two Wooden Spoons" as a 7" single with the B side "Come a Cropper" in 2006.
The band's first album release, Krulle Bol (possibly originating from a Dutch term denoting a person with curly hair, lit. translation 'curly noggin'), released on Microbe in 2008, was produced by John Parish in Bristol with guest musicians performing on various instruments.
The band's second album, Wriggle Out the Restless, was originally released by Dreamboat Records in 2010 and later reissued by the band's own Disco-ordination Records and later Brassland Records. The album drew on the band's many musical friends including Rozi Plain, Jim Barr (bass player from Portishead), Francois & the Atlas Mountains and The Liftmen. The album was produced by longtime collaborator and partner Jesse D. Vernon.
This Is The Kit perform regularly in various configurations from duo to quintet, with Stables on vocals, guitar and banjo, and Vernon on violin, guitar, bass and percussion. They are often joined onstage by The Liftmen and Rozi Plain.
Since 2010, the band have recorded a Blogothèque Take-Away Show video session and been played regularly on BBC Radio 6 Music. The band have been touring regularly and supporting such acts as The National, Sharon Van Etten, Iron & Wine and Herman Dune.
On April 7, 2015 the third album Bashed out was released by the Brassland Records.
- Krulle Bol – Microbe (2008)
- Wriggle Out the Restless – Dreamboat Records (2010), Brassland Records (2012)
- Bashed Out – Brassland Records (2015)
- "Two Wooden Spoons" – Sunday Best (2006)
- "White Ash Cut" – Tapeclub Records (2006)
- "Birchwood Beaker" (split single with the Belgian band Soy un Caballo) – Need No Water (2008)
- "Moon" (7" single) – Need No Water (2010)
- Marwood, Ben. "Folk-Off Review". Drowned In Sound. drowned in sound. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- Fazi, Melanie. "Krulle Bol review". Le Cargo. Le Cargo. Retrieved 28 March 2013.
- Bemis, Alec. "Brassland". Brassland. Brassland. Retrieved 24 March 2013.
- Clos, François. "Blogotheque". Blogotheque. Blogotheque. Retrieved 24 March 2013.
- Riley, Marc. "BBC6music". BBC6Music. BBC. Retrieved 24 March 2013.
- Els. "ATP review". Drowned In Sound. Drowned In Sound. Retrieved 24 March 2013.