This Is Why I'm Hot
|"This Is Why I'm Hot"|
|Single by Mims|
|from the album Music Is My Savior|
|Released||January 23, 2007 (United States)
May 28, 2007 (United Kingdom)
|Format||Digital download, CD single, 12" single|
|Label||American King Music, Capitol Records|
|Mims singles chronology|
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
Released in 2007 as the first single from the album, the song reached No. 1 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart, as well as #2 on the Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart and No. 1 on the Billboard Hot Rap Tracks chart, eventually being certified Platinum by the RIAA.
The song debuted at number one on the Billboard Hot Digital Songs chart, selling 140,874 downloads. It remained the top-selling digital single for one additional week.
Eventually, the success of the song in the United States saw a release in the United Kingdom in May 2007, where the single peaked at No. 18 on the UK Singles Chart on the week dated June 3, 2007.
The song features samples of various hip-hop songs, including Kanye West's "Jesus Walks", E-40's "Tell Me When to Go", Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg's "Nuthin' But a "G" Thang" and Mobb Deep's "Shook Ones Part II". Each sampled song is played when Mims mentions the area from which each artist originated.
Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez had this song as his batter's box approach music.
The song received mostly positive to mixed reviews by critics.
William Ketchum III of About stated about Mims is "striving to "bring New York back" like his peers" on the song. He continued to comment about the song's chart success, stating: "With "This Is Why I'm Hot" continuing to burn up the charts, he's proven what he's got, but let's see if he can stay on top." The song received a three out of five star rating from the site.
On their review of the album Music Is My Savior, Allmusic stated that "the deceptively simple "This Is Why I'm Hot" demonstrates this well. MIMS raps about his nationwide appeal over hyphy-esque production that alludes to other influential MCs." The track was listed as an "AMG track pick" on the review page.
On his review of Music Is My Savior, Christian Hoard of Rolling Stone described the song as "a catchy little thing with a cool, minimalist beat and some goofy charm."
However, not all is well about the song, for Matthew Wilkening of AOL Radio ranked the song at No. 99 on the list of the 100 Worst Songs Ever, twice stating that Mims "repeats 'This is why I'm hot' too much."
The official remix, entitled the "Blackout Remix", which is the only reggae fusion version of the song, features dancehall artist Cham and reggae singer Junior Reid. This version is featured on Music Is My Savior.
- There is also an Official reggaeton remix of the song, entitled "Por Eso Estoy Pegao", which features rapper Daddy Yankee. Another reggaeton remix, based on the Blackout Remix, featured Tego Calderón and Don Omar. An alternate Reggaeton Remix Featured Tego Calderon, Calle 13 and Willie Style. Cosculluela performed a freestyle over the beat for Encendido 17 Mixtape Mixed By Dj Sincero
- Rapper Twista made a song entitled "This Is Why I'm Cold".
- Rapper Lil Wayne performed a freestyle over the beat as an intro for Da Drought 3
- Rapper Talib Kweli made a remix entitled "Niggas Lie a Lot".
- Rap-rave group Die Antwoord made a remix entitled "Dis Iz Why I'm Hot".
By early March 2007, the online release of the song had propelled it from number 32 to number one on the Billboard Hot 100 in one week; this was then the third-greatest rise to number one in the history of the Billboard Hot 100. It remained at number one the next week until it was surpassed by "Glamorous", by Fergie and Ludacris the week after in the issue dated March 24, 2007.
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||19|
|Europe (European Hot 100 Singles)||44|
|Finland (Suomen virallinen lista)||14|
|Germany (Media Control Charts)||55|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||23|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||75|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||18|
|US Billboard Hot 100||1|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||2|
|US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard)||11|
End of year charts
|US Billboard Hot 100||16|
- About.com Mims - This Is Why I'm Hot track review
- allmusic ((( Music Is My Savior > Overview ))) Note: the song's original version is mistakenly listed as a remix of the song (track 3).
- Wilkening, Matthew (2010-09-11). "100 Worst Songs Ever". AOL Radio. Retrieved 2010-12-18.
- Katie Hasty, "Mims Puts The 'Hot' in the Hot 100 At No. 1", Billboard.com, March 1, 2007.
- Jonathan Cohen, "Mims Remains 'Hot' at No. 1, Akon Stays Close", Billboard.com, March 8, 2007.
- "Australian-charts.com – Mims – This Is Why I'm Hot". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "MIMS Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for MIMS.
- "Mims – THIS IS WHY I´M HOT Hitlisten.nu" (in Danish). Tracklisten.
- "MIMS Album & Song Chart History" European Hot 100 for MIMS.
- "Mims: This Is Why I'm Hot" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Lescharts.com – Mims – This Is Why I'm Hot" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Chartverfulgong > Mims > This Is Why I'm Hot – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Charts.org.nz – Mims – This Is Why I'm Hot". Top 40 Singles.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Mims – This Is Why I'm Hot". Singles Top 60.
- "Swisscharts.com – Mims – This Is Why I'm Hot". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "MIMS: Artist Chart History" UK Singles Chart.
- "MIMS Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for MIMS.
- "MIMS Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for MIMS.
- "MIMS Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Pop Songs for MIMS.
- "Billboard Hot 100 Year-End 2007". Retrieved 2012-04-15.